FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink SDI for monitoring

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sutherland
Decklink SDI for monitoring
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:23:42 pm

Hi,

I shoot mostly HD 720/30PN on my HPX 300, editing on an eight core Xeon Mac Pro (2008?). Shooting on AVC Intra, and once off of P2 editing in Pro Res. My output is usually to file, occasionally to tape. I have the Panasonic BT-LH 1710 LCD, and I'm looking for a real time HD monitoring solution. I'm not doing color grading per say, but I do make tweaks as needed.

Occasionally I may need to input DVCam via SD-SDI. I may want to upconvert on the way in. When I lay off to tape I need to downconvert on the way.

Any issues using the Decklink SDI with this set up? How is the down convert, is it soft? If so is it better to drop the material into a SD timeline and render away?

For the price it's the least expensive monitoring solution going. I still have a Decklink card in my older G4 with SDI only, it was a real workhorse, still is!

Thanks for the input.

John Sutherland

Return to posts index

peter tours
Re: Decklink SDI for monitoring
on Jan 14, 2010 at 2:35:14 am

We have a HPX500 so we can only capture P2. I recently had the opportunity to view down-converted DVCPRO HD thru a Decklink card and then a Kona card in my system (Mac Pro early 2008 dual quad 2.88) on a Sony broadcast monitor, and the Decklink was noticeably softer than the Kona. Startling, actually. I am monitoring analog component, not SDI. Hope this helps.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

John Sutherland
Re: Decklink SDI for monitoring
on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:02:16 pm

When I bought my 300 I also bought the 1710, so I'm mostly concerned with HD SDI. I had heard the down convert was not so good as it's a software solution. The AJA's are hardware driven.

John

John Sutherland
MDD G4 dual 1.25
1.12 gb ram
Atto UL3D
Huge 1.2TB Dual Max
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.4.11/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]