FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolution of Decklink 2 Problems

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tours
Resolution of Decklink 2 Problems
on Jan 12, 2010 at 12:39:28 pm

I recently changed from acquiring BetaCam SP via AJA IO LA for 18 months trouble free to using a Declink Studio card for the same purpose plus for downconverting my analog monitoring of DVCPRO HD projects captured from P2 files. Two different tasks for the same card all fell within the BM operating specs.

The first Decklink Studio card arrived without the HDMI bracket - apparently there was an upgrade to a Decklink Studio 2 at about the moment I ordered. Acceptable but regretable. Anyway I put it to work right away capturing Beta SP and I as I posted here at the time, I had moire throughout the saturated chroma areas on an average interior shoot. The artifacts were not present in YC or composite capture - neither meet out quality standards though - but made the analog component capture useless due to the moire. I must admit, I was less than impressed with support from BM, but B&H came thru and replaced the card, overnite, with a new Decklink Studio 2 card - now with HDMI ports.

I cannot say with certainty that this intallation caused my FCP 7.0.1 projects to become corrupt whilst open and in progress making saves and autosaves useless and the defect hidden until the next restart. But it happened and cost a lot of time and stress.

I remain very unimpressed with BM support.

However B&H came through and took it back and I purchased and AJA Kona LHI and my Mac Pro dual quad 2.88 feels like it's old self again and no more corrupt projects or sudden crashes and projects open in seconds, not minutes.

As I said in the beginning of this post, I cannot say for certain what the cause of my problems was. But the changes I made suggest a pattern that I thought other FCP editors should know about.

I remain unimpressed with BM support.

AJA on the other hand should win an award for theirs!

Just one editor's opinion.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Resolution of Decklink 2 Problems
on Jan 14, 2010 at 1:16:41 am

Hey Peter,

Well, I am certainly sorry to hear of your continued trouble with our boards. Of course I am happy to hear that B&H was able to help you.

To clarify, (lest forum browsers get the wrong idea) there was a fairly active conversation between BMD and yourself.

While Blackmagic is obviously not at fault for selling you a Studio (original, 100 dollars cheaper than the 2) B&H certainly did the right thing by helping you into the right board you really wanted.

Unfortunately that board was indeed defective. For that we apologize. We we would have been happy to do the swap for you had done it through B&H already (which is fine and probably resulted in a faster turn around for you).

The last I've heard from you was before Christmas when you had some concerns on the quality of the down conversion which you said might have just been your perspective, but I offered to take take a look at what you were seeing (with your source) so we could narrow down any particular issue, which you didn't feel was necessary at that time.

As for this project corruption, I've never heard anything from you. Honestly once a project file is corrupt there is little that can be done to rebuild it (which is unfortunate), but I would have liked the chance to work with you on it just the same.

More importantly, I am glad that you've gotten a card that works for you, as ultimately that is the most important thing.

Normally I wouldn't have brought this up, but you've posted this rather prolifically on the cow and I wanted others to have both sides.

Most importantly I apologize that we didn't provide you with the support you feel you deserved. Ultimately that is what we are striving for.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

peter tours
Re: Resolution of Decklink 2 Problems
on Jan 14, 2010 at 1:28:26 am

Josh - I will send you a private email. Peter

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL