FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing 8 bit codec

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hansen
Missing 8 bit codec
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:15:22 am

I can't find the answer to this anywhere, but I upgraded to the newest drivers 3.3.2 on a Mac Pro for the Intensity Pro card from 3.2 because I was getting noticeable audio lag on everything. All my 1280x720 Final Cut sequences had been created using 2Vuy, which apparently is a legacy codec. But has it now been entirely eliminated since 3.2?

Now when I open my FC project, it says the codec is missing and won't open the sequence. When I double click the sequence in the browser it says I'm trying to use a codec that the hardware doesn't recognize. Then I get a memory error.

So what codec am I supposed to use now, and how do I open my sequences?

According to Blackmagic's site, 2vuy (lowercase) is the "newer codec", but it does not appear anywhere in the options either for compressor settings. The closest I get is "Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2" which is Apple's and which, according to Blackmagic's site, could be a problem:

Both the Blackmagic 8-bit (2Vuy) and Blackmagic 8-bit (2vuy) codecs include HD color space information but there is a reason why we don't just use the newer Blackmagic 8-bit (2vuy) codec in HD. Under certain scenarios, Final Cut Pro/QuickTime may invoke Apple's 8-bit (2vuy) codec even though the Blackmagic 8-bit (2vuy) codec has been requested. This leads to big problems as the Apple codec lacks the HD color space information and so the video is processed incorrectly. To avoid this potential scenario, we use Blackmagic 8-bit (2Vuy) in HD so that Final Cut Pro/QuickTime cannot accidentally invoke the wrong 8-bit 2vuy codec. Using the Blackmagic 8-bit (2Vuy) codec guarantees that we use the codec which includes HD color space information.

So that's why I was using 2Vuy. So can somebody explain to me how this is supposed to work now? Or why I should continue to use this product?

And I still have the audio lag on the sequences I can watch.

thanks

Return to posts index

Andre Machado
Re: Missing 8-bit codec
on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:42:54 pm

I com the same serious problem here.
I could not even solve... And I com an entire project on hold because of this.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fmuler
Works on: Video Editing, Post Production & DVD Authoring & bass player on spare time. ;)
jatmachado@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:40:37 am

Hi Andre,

This is n longe necessary as Apple's uncompressd codec now supports the right HD colorspace. We have not been using or including the Blackmagic 2vuy in our installers for quite some time now.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Andre Machado
on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:26:20 pm

The problem was actually trying to open an old project, wich all the sequences were configured to use the old 8 bit Blackmagic 2vuy codec.
When I tryed to open the sequence, I've got the error and my sequence stayed closed.

The problem was solved by right clicking on the sequence, choosing settings and then going on the "compressor" tab under "QuickTime Video Settings" and choosing other compression.

Of course now I've used the Uncompressed 8-bit.

Anyway,thanks a lot Kristian Lam. I have to say I'm very thankfull for your support. That's one more reason why we should all stay with the BlackMagic products.

Thanks a lot,

Andre Machado

http://www.youtube.com/user/fmuler
Works on: Video Editing, Post Production & DVD Authoring & bass player on spare time. ;)
jatmachado@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]