FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop Frames when capture ProRes HQ using Decklink Extreme HD

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Prange
Drop Frames when capture ProRes HQ using Decklink Extreme HD
on Dec 10, 2009 at 8:29:23 pm

On a MacPro I am capturing through the Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme HD-SDI input. Using the Blackmagic Deck Control, I am capturing 720p60 using Apple ProRes (HQ). Everything captures fine until about 30-40 minutes in. Capturing aborts, giving me an error message saying that frames have been dropped. I get the same problem when capturing using FinalCut Pro. I also have the same problem using DVCPRO-HD codec.

I have tried capturing to a 4TB, 2 striped drive array. I have tried capturing to the system drive. I get the same result in both places. I have tried separating out the striped drives as individual drives and capturing to one of them. Same result.

So in my testing, I removed the Blackmagic card and put it in an older MacPro with a 2TB, 3 striped drive array, and was able to succesfully record for two hours.

Here are the specs on my two systems:
Does NOT work on MacPro 4,1 with 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core with 8GB of RAM, running OS 10.6.2 and NVIDIA GeForce GT120 video card. Using the Blackmagic disk speed test software on the 4TB striped array, I get a read speed of 199.9 MB/s and a write speed of 187.0 MB/s.

Does work on MacPro 3,1 with 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core with 10GB of RAM, running OS 10.5.8 and ATI Radeon HD 2600 video card. Using the Blackmagic disk speed test software on the 2TB striped array, I get a read speed of 172.9 MB/s and a write speed of 221.9 MB/s.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem? Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]