FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro clarification

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Brookhouse
Intensity Pro clarification
on Dec 5, 2009 at 1:58:22 am

I'm hoping you all can help me understand how the Intensity Pro works.

I am trying to improve the quality of my keys so I'm trying to reduce the amount of compression on my videos. My camera records to MiniDV so it has to be compressed to MPEG2. I can go direct to my harddrive thru firewire (with OnLocation), but it still compresses it. My camera also has a HDMI output, but it wasn't designed for capture...just viewing on a HD TV set.

Does the Intensity Pro solve this issue? Will it allow me to take my HDMI output and run it directly to my harddrive? The website says it works in conjunction with the main NLE programs. I use PPro CS4, but it doesn't do live capture (that I'm aware of). OnLocation does live capture, but it doesn't work with the HDMI output.

Does the Intensity Pro come with capture software that allows for live capture?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Intensity Pro clarification
on Dec 5, 2009 at 5:36:37 am

your native recording format on your mini DV camcorder is DV25, which is the WORST of all the video formats out there in the 21st century. You expect to get solid keys from DV25, but it's not going to happen. Not from more expensive blackmagic cards, not from AJA or Matrox or MOTU. DV25 is a terrible format, and no capture card is going to provide the miracle that you need.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Dec 5, 2009 at 9:53:37 am

You've mixed MiniDV and Mpeg in the same sentence. I can only guess you have an HDV camera?

Playing an HDV tape out though the HDMI will be no better than a standard ingest of HDV material.

But lets say you have your computer with the Intensity, on location, connected to the camera, live via HDMI. You could then record the digital video straight off the camera, before it ever hit the compression hardware. The video would be as good as the camera could produce. A bit more clumsy, but you avoid the compression.

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Dec 5, 2009 at 12:36:46 pm

[John Brookhouse] " use PPro CS4, but it doesn't do live capture (that I'm aware of)."
Sure does capture live, if your cam can be viewed on a HDTV live via HDMI, you can capture live into premiere pro via intensity hdmi, I don't know the capabilities of your system, but if you can capture HDV via firewire you should be able to capture mjpeg or whatever else is listed under sequence presets for BM, once you have the project setup and have the normal workspace screen hit F5 for the capture screen and if your cam is on you should see what the cam is seeing in the capture window also if you have a HDTV or HDMI scaling monitor connected to the intensity hdmi output you should see the same on their screen, TIPs: be sure the volume is muted on the monitor and computer speakers as your cam's mic is live and you will get feedback, you can monitor the sound via a headset, also if you are on battery most cams will timeout and shutdown usually after 6-7min, you will need to run tape or have the tape door open(collects dust) or power the cam with the AC adapter, unless you have a fast raid and large storage uncompressed is not a good idea, mjpeg will give you full 1920x1080 sq pixels, I've used Sony and Canon, Pro, Prosumer, and consumer hdmi cams to do this, can't say anything about other brands.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]