FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic AVIs to Final Cut Pro?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Craig
Blackmagic AVIs to Final Cut Pro?
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:57:39 pm

Hi all,

I posted on the Final Cut Pro forum, saying that a film-to-disk transfer vendor plans to send video files to me as Blackmagic AVIs. I haven't used that codec before. Does anyone here know if those files will play in Final Cut Pro? I haven't yet gotten a definitive answer on the other forum. FCP is a Quicktime-based app, of course. I figured there would be plenty of people here on the Blackmagic forum who use FCP and who might be able to enlighten me. Anyone?

-- Ron

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Blackmagic AVIs to Final Cut Pro?
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:19:51 pm

Hi.

Do you know if the avi is uncompressed or something else?

I can test it out if you know the exact format for avi.

I have older station with win and pc and BM.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:43:59 pm

Thanks for your offer, Margus. I don't have the files in-hand to test now.

Best,

Ron

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:20:51 pm

The 10bit BMD Uncompressed files have the same 4cc code that is used by the 10bit QT uncompressed files in our project settings in FCP. The 8bit is a little more complicated. The 4cc codes are different so you have to use our 4cc code converter on the FCP side which will change the 4cc code of the 8bit AVI uncompressed files.

It's really quick and easy. Then you can import them into FCP (it will pop a message saying that something is up with the file...just click okay and the file should work).

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:44:51 pm

That's what I needed to know, Joshua. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:53:22 pm

Hi again, Joshua.

I just did a search for that utility to convert 8 bit Blackmagic AVIs for use in Final Cut but I couldn't find it. Can you point me in the right direction? Also...is this a lossless conversion? The quick research I've done seems to indicate that it just changes the header, which I assume means a lossless conversion.

Thanks again.

Ron

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:09:00 pm

Ech...yeah...

Sorry there is no PM function on this board, but I can email it to you. Just send support-usa@blackmagic-design.com an email requesting the 4cc code changer and one of my guys will bounce it right over to you.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 2, 2009 at 11:59:39 pm

Heard you called my guys here in the office and they passed you the utility. You had a question about if it was lossless or not.

The answer is that the file's video data is not changed in anyway. Its a hex edit that changes only the file header which contains the 4cc code. The 4cc code is what tells the computer which codec to use for decoding the video data. The problem in your case is the 4cc code on the AVI file is not recognized by the Apple system. EVEN THOUGH the video data in the file is in the same format. So this little angle goes and changes that 4cc code and boom....it's decodable.

Hope that helps clarify

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:03:33 am

It does!

Thanks very much for your help. And, yes, I did receive the decoder.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]