FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrascope graphics card?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
Ultrascope graphics card?
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:15:12 am

Good evening,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this one. I bought a Blackmagic Ultrascope and am trying to choose the graphics card. I am looking at the approved list from Blackmagic and wonder if there is much difference (Ultrascope performance wise) between them?

Can anyone recommend one that works well with them? For example I am looking at a ATI Radeon HD 4650. I see there are models with 512MB of memory and some with 1GB. Will that make a difference? Also some cards have DDR2 and some have DDR3? Will the faster ram make a difference for our application?

While I want quick responce on the Ultrascope, I don't feel the need to get a really expensive gaming graphics card if it's overkill.

thanks so much,
Peter

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Ultrascope graphics card?
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:11:50 pm

Personally I would go one or two models higher. This would cover you for any new features that might be released that might cause additional overhead.

Outside of that, 512MB of memory should be enough, and more is better. The difference between DDR2 and 3 should not be a big deal.

Again, I still recommend shooting over the minimum.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:43:28 pm

Thanks Joshua,

Which cards are the higher cards? Can I tell just by looking at the model number? Are there any specs that are more important than others? Maybe not max memory but something else? Clock frequency? PCI version? I don't know too much about these high end graphics cards.

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:36:27 pm

i'm using a 4670 in mine. 512 mb of ram and it works great!

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 5, 2009 at 4:47:48 am

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=4670&tag=googhydr-20&index=electr...

Hi Peter -
you see this link above - I just did a search on Google for an ATI 4670, and this current card is $69. Now, I know what you are doing here, because my client did the same thing, and I am SICK OF IT. You want to save 20 bucks. He went to Comp USA, when the 4670 was the lowest approved card, and found something on the closeout table (the 4650) and it worked. But the 4650 is not a current product, and the 4670 is the cheapest current card. The 4650 is on the list because we got LUCKY, and my client would not simply do a cheap mail order company, because CHEAP was not CHEAP ENOUGH. "Hey, if I can save 15 or 20 bucks, why not". You know what Peter, don't buy the Ultrascope. Because I can't even imagine what PC you are going to use to run the Ultrascope (hey, I had this piece of crap lying around in the closet - maybe I can use this one). There are approved cards (like the 4670) that are readily available and cheap, so stop looking to save 15 - 20 dollars, and ask all these silly questions. You are about to save THOUSANDS compared to buying a conventional scope (even on ebay), but you got to buy something that works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125244&nm_mc=OTC-F...

Look, here is the 4670 on New Egg for $69 ! Is that cheap enough for you ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Dec 5, 2009 at 6:38:16 am

You know Bob.. sometimes your posts are helpful. And sometimes they are not. We are all just trying to wade through this sea of technology and make everything work together. Your post doesn't add any useful information (other than where to get the cheapest video card around).

I was trying to ask the experts here what the differences were between the cards (when it comes to the Ultrascope). Blackmagic puts out the system requirements, but there are ALOT of different graphics cards out there. They say ATI, but there are many different companies that build cards with the ATI chipset. So I was wondering is some work better than others. Also if 512MB vs 1GB made a difference for our application or DDR2 vs DDR3. Is the Ultrascope very resource heavy and it needs a ton of fast graphics ram? That's why I'm asking.

The cards that are listed range from $1600 - $60 (yeah I found one cheaper than yours!). So I was looking for some information on how the Ultrascope would work better with the $1600 card vs the cheaper one.

Nick was nice enough to suggest a card that is working for him. Sorry if I am trying to find out more technical information and not wanting to spend more money on a card that possibly won't yield me any additional performance from the Ultrascope.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 5, 2009 at 4:03:15 pm

OK, here is some detailed information.

My new client, who loves spending money, just bought the most expensive card on this list - the ATI Radeon 4870. I put it into a new HP Z400, and it turned out to be a nightmare install, because the 4870 required a dual PCIe power connection, and the HP computer only had one of these power connectors, so I had to scramble to find a standard molex to PCIe power adaptor (all of $2.99) to get the 4870 to fire up in the Z400. And you know what - this expensive card works no better than the cheapo 4650. It's Saturday - take out your wallet, rip out that credit card, and order ANYTHING, because you need that scope up and working. Stop thinking, and get back to work and make some money.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Dec 5, 2009 at 6:35:59 pm

Will do.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]