FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long HDMI cable to Intensity Pro and CS4.2 workable?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Meese
Long HDMI cable to Intensity Pro and CS4.2 workable?
on Nov 29, 2009 at 9:44:14 pm

I'm building a small (10'x10') webcast studio for a client, feeding Premiere Pro on Windows. I'm planning to use a Panasonic AG HMC40 camera, feeding HDMI over a 30 ft run to a BMD Intensity Pro card in the edit system, capture and edit as HD Motion JPeg 1280x720 on an internal drive.

Most importantly, how is the Intensity card working with CS4.2? I see in the forums that there were delays w/ drivers earlier in the year.
Also, anyone have experience w/ long runs of HDMI? I've got a Laird HDMI repeater in the budget--is that needed?
720 Jpeg looks to be about 18 Gigs/hour, or about half again as much as DV. Can I expect one fast internal drive to handle that? Two striped drives?
Lastly, with footage shot in the field, how is CS4 with AVCHD files? Would another camera brand/format be more reliable?

Any advice or comments--especially if I'm missing something big, here. I'll also cross-post in the Premiere Pro forum. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Long HDMI cable to Intensity Pro and CS4.2 workable?
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:42:03 pm

Intensity as well as all of our boards are now working quite well with CS4. It was a rough start for sure, but we are in a good spot now.

As for a 30' run of HDMI, that could be a problem. But the repeater should work, but we haven't tested that cable so can't confirm. But I would guess it will work. I would check it with a shorter run first, to make sure all is working then put the longer cable on and test it.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

William Meese
on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:22:17 pm

Wow, I didn't expect an answer straight from the horse. Since this is a purchase for a client, I feel more confident going with the Intensity card. Not really possible to test the HDMI beforehand, which is why I'm asking if anybody's doing that.
Thanks for the response!

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:10:38 pm

I've used cables in excess of 20 feet myself personally (in my lab as well as at shows). But for those longer runs I always buy the more expensive cables.

The ones i've used have all been passive. But again...I have good feelings about a proper HDMI repeater cable. So you should be good.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

William Meese
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:38:04 pm

And my cross-post on the Premiere Pro forum gave me another possible source for good cables. Thanks, Joshua.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:07:57 am

Cool!

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Gragilla
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:51:54 am

Hey William,

Just to reinforce what Joshua is saying I have been using my Intensity Pro with a powered repeater and 30' HDMI cable (spec 1.3a) on a daily basis for about the last 6 months and have yet to run into a single issue.

- Jason

Return to posts index

William Meese
on Dec 5, 2009 at 7:13:55 pm

That's good to hear. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]