FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moire On Analog Capture - Decklink Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tours
Moire On Analog Capture - Decklink Studio
on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:10:47 pm

Just got DL Studio 2 card, used it last week to monitor my HD P2 project in FCP7, and also to output to Beta. All went fine. Now for the first time I am capturing from Beta - via component analog - and I am getting moire on the FCP capture screen and in my captured video, though not as harsh. I have recabled, shaken, tried options - cannot figure out how to access composite or s-vid for comparison.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? The moire is definitely not on the tape.

Thanks for any suggestions:

Declink Studio 2, Mac 7.3.2 driver
Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8 (early 2008)
10gb ram
Sony UVW1800
OS 10.5.8
FCS3, FCP 7.1

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Moire On Analog Capture - Decklink Studio
on Nov 28, 2009 at 5:31:51 am

Can you connect the deck directly to a monitor?
Might be the deck or cable.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Nov 28, 2009 at 10:51:10 am

Thanks but the way my rig is set up, the VTR and FCP (Decklink) are monitored on 2 different channels of the same monitor so I can see the deck straight on input A and FCP (Decklink) on input B, both via S-Vid - and I switched them as a cross check. And also looked at the composite out of the deck on input C where I monitor with TC out of the deck. The moire is only on the capture window and the output of the FCP (Decklink) and of course in the captured media. Seeing it in the capture window is what concerns me most and where it looks worst, in capture and playback.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 28, 2009 at 5:31:15 pm

Could be electrical too...are the deck and your computer on the same circuit... Not trying to get Blackmagic off the hook...it's just that there are a lot of variables involved, especially with older analog equipment.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:25:06 pm

That's definately odd. Tried that on our system in house and don't see any sort of Moire pattern.

I think it's a good idea to try the Composite or S-Video inputs. To access those click Apple -> System Preferences -> Decklink. Once there there is an input dropdown. Click the dropdown and select S-Video or Composite (make sure you don't leave the color channels connected while using these inputs).

Let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:16:07 pm

JOSHUA - I TRIED THE S-VID INPUT AND DISCO'D THE COMPONENT CABLE AND DID A TEST. THE S-VID LOOKED FINE - NONE OF THE ARTIFACTS OF THE COMPONENT CAPTURE - ALSO NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO USE IN MY SHOW AT S-VID QUALITY.
I AM UPLOADING A SHORT MOVIE TO SHOW YOU THE PROBLEM. THE FIST CUT IS S-VID CAPTURE AND THE SECOND IS COMPONENT. THERE IS A DETAINLED DESCRIPTION ACCOMPANYING THE CLIP.

I HAVE TRIED 2 COMPONENT CABLES SO FAR WITH ALMOST NO DIFFERENCE IN THE COMPONENT CAPTURE.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:26:48 pm

THE LINK TO THE CLIP IS

http://f1.creativecow.net/405/peter-tours-example'>405_ptourstest2quicktimeh.264.mov.zip

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:51:14 pm

Being the thorough type, I managed to borrow yet a 3rd component BNC cable - still the same as the first two. Staying in the cable realm for a moment, now that you have seen the video, could it be the breakout cable?

Whatever it is, I really gotta work it out before the end of the week. I can always re-capture before I finish as long as I can get a clean component capture.

Thanks, Peter

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:58:53 pm

B&H is replacing it.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:52:34 pm

Okay...so i've downloaded your file. And yes, I see the Component looks obviously worse than the S-Video. Color is different as well as the there seems to be some green in the back wall.

So, first I would ask if you've changed the color settings in the video adjustments area. Each may need independant settings.

Another thing, is to rule out any weird compression anomolies can you check both of these captures in uncompressed.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:36:21 am

Joshua - I captured as uncompressed 10 bit with no difference. The color sliders are all in detente (do you actually need to move these?!?) and Use Betacam Levels is checked.

Frankly I have done about everything I can do - the people @ B&H say they have heard or this problem before so you should really talk to them. I can forward the chat log I had with them today.

Very simply, I took my AJA IO LA out of the system, installed your card, reconnected the cables and you see the result.

B&H is overniting me another unit to try, so I will post the results then.

I believe I have already provided my personal email and cellphone to you and your assistant who spoke to me on the phone today when you were unavailable. I think at this time discretion says further communication should take place along those channels, don't you?

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

peter tours
Problem Solved In Spite of Mfr Denial
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:21:29 pm

There's a lesson to be learned here: the new unit just received from B&H - who did not doubt me - works fine!

Editors take note of this experience and draw your own conclusions.

Certainly compares very negatively to the years I spent using AJA products.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Problem Solved In Spite of Mfr Denial
on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:55:44 pm

Hey Peter,

What denial? I never denied that there might be a problem with the board.

Given your last response I would have actually told you that we should RMA this product and replace it. Reasons: Your footage deffinitely looked wrong. The footage captured with my board in house did not have this issue. So to me that shows a clear case of a product defect.

ABSOLUTELY no denial on our part.

As for B&H knowing about this issue. That seems really odd. They haven't reported it to us, but that is not atypical as when they return boards the rarely provide us with anything other than basic details on the fault.

Either way, I would hardly call 2 days of active discussion a denial of an issue. But what I am really concerned about is the fact that you feel that way. I am glad you got the card replaced (fwiw you can do that directly through us, but it is often quicker to get it done through the dealer if they are close).

I'm sure we'll get that board back and it will show the same issue to us when we test it.

Glad you are up and running again.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:06:50 am

I have addressed the issue privately via email.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:08:51 am

Yup...got it, I appreciate it. I replied to you too.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]