FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDI NTSC 8 bit output issues...................

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john davidson
SDI NTSC 8 bit output issues...................
on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:14:27 pm

Hello I am having issues with getting a signal out of the Blackmagic HD Extreme SDI to my Flanders Scientific Monitor. I went to the preferences menu and it is set for SDI & HDMI & NTSC/Pal (Y out} & S Video out.
I am going into the 1 input SDI position on the Flanders monitor. I also tried position 2 SDI in to no avail. Just as a side note, If I make the video out in the Final Cut say none then it plays this DV sequence fine. As soon as I put it to Blackmagic NTSC 8 bit it drops frames and stops. Also if I mute the audio tracks it plays through the timeline fine, no dropping of frames.

Thank You,
John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SDI NTSC 8 bit output issues...................
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:50:44 pm

if your disk drives are not fast enough, you cannot play out an uncompressed 8 bit signal, on any system. If you are using a firewire drive, you cannot do uncompressed video. You have a beautiful FSI monitor - dont' work in DV format anymore, and get the proper FAST disk drives that you need. I can only assume that if you chose DV, you may be working with firewire drives.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Frank Ruggiero
on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:01:51 am

Or what about trying to use the Jpeg or ProRes compression? SHouldnt a Firewire Raid be able to handle that?

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:08:14 am

It can do...however firewire has a max throughput of 400Mb/second (and that is best case scenario) which translates to 50MB/second. So even if it is raided, the max throughput will be governed quite heavily by the firewire bus.

Now, as i mentioned 50MB/second is maximum possible. Firewire is an odd beast as it throttles to be only as fast as the slowest device connected to it. So if you have a firewire camera (or any other non hard drive device) it is probably being throttled down to about 100Mb/second (slowest connection speed that firewire supports) which is only 12.5MB/second which will NOT be enough to do either ProRes, DVCProHD(100) or uncompressed reliably.

So, if nothing else is connected to the firewire bus, it might be possible, but will it be reliable? Hard to say. If anything else is connected it may not even work.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:14:12 am

Was the HD Extreme working fine before, or is this the first time you're trying it? Did you choose the right PCIe slot to install it in, and did you make sure the speed is set right (i.e. 4x, etc)?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]