FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDI output resolution to monitor

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Ruggiero
SDI output resolution to monitor
on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:21:46 pm

Hi Blackmagic,

Can anyone explain this to me? If I am creating graphics at 720x486, how does the Blackmagic SDI work with that when I am sending it over the SDI cable? Isnt SDI a resolution of 720 x 480 (Smpte259M)?

I want to work in After Effects and Premiere at 720x486. Does the Blackmagic compensate for my output by removing 6 lines before outputting? Or do I always have to work in 720x480?

If anyone can clear that up, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Frank

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SDI output resolution to monitor
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:48:25 pm

everything stays at 720x486. 720x480 is if you have chosen to work in DV resolution.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Frank Ruggiero
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:58:53 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for answering my question. I have always worked in 720x486, but where it is confusing is the SDI. Is SDI a 720x480 resolution? A monitor company is telling me that SDI is only 480 scanlines. SO what would that mean when I try to output through the card. Does the Blackmagic take my 486 signal and alter it to deliver it to 480?

Or am I just mistaken or have bad information.

Thanks Bob.

Frank

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:15:38 am

To add on what Bob said. 720x486 is D1 resolution. Everything out of our card will be that res (even in a DV Project). The extra lines are added to make a signal that will typically be expected by SDI or analog equipment.

DV, and MPEG2, are typically saved at DV resolution which is 720x480. However, if you are editing in a DV editing mode with BMD cards the timeline is 720x480 but the output will be 720x486 (2 and 4 lines are added to prevent scaling of the image). This is refered to as a DV-D1 conversion and is fairly common in these types of apps (it typically happens behinds the scenes).

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]