FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware for my new edit suite... anyone see any problems?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Morrison
Hardware for my new edit suite... anyone see any problems?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:53:35 pm

I don't really have anyone else to bounce this off of so I thought I'd post the hardware listing I've put together for my new edit suite to see if anyone notices any problems.

•Decklink Studio
•Areca ARC-1120 PCI-X 64bit/133MHz SATA II Controller Card (running RAID 0+1)
•4 Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drives (RAID)
•Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive (system drive that I already have)
•Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
•ASUS P6T ATX Intel Motherboard
•EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 01G-P3-N981-TR Video Card
•Kingston HyperX 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) XMP Tall HS Desktop Memory
•Thermaltake Toughpower W0132RU 1000W Power Supply
•Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA Model BDR-205BKS
•Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
Re: Hardware for my new edit suite... anyone see any problems?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:33:29 pm

Two things

The Asus is a well made mainboard, but in recent years Asus has been making completely useless and unstable Bioses, so keep that in mind, because you may encounter issues.

The 1000w PSU is absolutely overkill, a 750 is plenty enough for you with room to spare, you're not a gamer with 3ple SLI.

Don't forget to buy a proper case, with proper ventilation and a separate aircooled section for the hard drives. Lian Li and their aluminum cases are close the build quality and durability of a Mac Pro case.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:41:51 pm

I forgot that you listed a PCI-X card for a mainboard that only supports PCIe and PCI.

If you want a separate SATA controller buy a PCIe one. The Sonnet ones are very well made and built for professionals, check them out.

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:55:41 pm

Oops.. thanks, I completely overlooked that! I was focusing on finding a board that offered RAID 0+1 and completely missed the interface.

Looks like Blackmagic recomends 3ware so I think I'll go with a
3ware 9650SE-4LPML PCI Express Lanes: 4 SATA II Controller Card ?!?

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:47:13 pm

Thanks! It's been a while since I've built a system around an Asus board so I'll look into somehting else. For the power supply, well I did have a nvidia quadro fx 4800 and a larger video array but budget got the better of me so I slimmed things down... looks like I forgot about the power suppy.

This is the case I went with:

NZXT Zero Black/Silver Computer Case (http://www.nzxt.com/products/zero/)

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Nov 12, 2009 at 9:54:40 pm

The 3ware card, will absolutely do the job since its recommended by BM.

As for the case, I don't know, I think it looks ugly, but that's just my view, also it doesn't look like something that good in terms of usability and build quality. It can do the job, so you know, its your call...

My recommendation for more than double the money, but miles ahead as a product is this one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112065

It exists in black aluminum as well, I have the silver aluminum edition and its been a breeze using it, so I strongly recommend it.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:43:24 pm

Thanks for the recomendation. I really picked that particular case for it's potentially quiet cooling properties as there are rare times when I have to cut audio in my edit suite. Looks aren't really all that important to me as I can hide the case if I have to.

Return to posts index

nicky van der walt
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:23:23 am

Hi,

I would suggest you look at something from Caldigit (http://www.caldigit.com) for storage.

I have 3x HDElement units running in our facility and have never had a better experience with any other storage product or company.

Even if you just start with their RAID card and an internal array, and later expand to a HDElement External unit.

Might be slightly more pricey than what you are looking at now, but at the end of the day your storage is one of the most vital parts of any edit suite.

I am running a 4 disk RAID 5 setup and have speeds of around 280mb/s on both read and write.

Good luck and enjoy the new system!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]