FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro Recording From HD Cable Box

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eliot Goshman
Intensity Pro Recording From HD Cable Box
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:27:41 pm

I have a Scientific-Atlanta 8300HD cable tv box/PVR and I wanted to move some of the HD programs I've recorded to my PC using Intensity Pro.

I successfully did a 53 minute capture from the box to the card using the component & audio inputs on the breakout cable. (Almost 50GB!!)
I had setup the Intensity for MJPG and 1920X1280.

I tried to play the footage in Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and the program consistently crashed while trying to conform the footage.

I then tried it in Pinnacle Studio 14, and while it played fine on the timeline, when I tried to burn it to a DVD, the picture was all scrambled, no matter what video settings I tried.

I then tried Cyberlink Video Producer 4 which couldn't keep the 16X9 AR, so I ended up with a 4X3 burn and lots of little crawly artifacts in the video.

Next, I tried Nero 9, and after a long time processing the file, it burned to DVD...with audio only & no video!

Is there any more standard way I can copy HD programs from the cable box to the Intensity card, with better compatibility?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Intensity Pro Recording From HD Cable Box
on Nov 10, 2009 at 7:56:09 pm

I would recommend trying the uncompressed codec (in a short amount) to eliminate if this is a file decode issue. I have a feeling that these applications are not properly decoding MJPEG footage. We can isolate this by doing a short uncompressed test.

Sounds like some of your other issues (aspect ratio and such) might be caused by improper settings. For example there is a big difference in encoding something letterbox and anamorphic. Anamorphic if not encode/decoded correctly will show up as 4x3 (stretched tall)

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Eliot Goshman
Re: Intensity Pro Recording From HD Cable Box
on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:10:42 pm

Hi Joshua,

I had checked all settings carefully...the 4:3 result was not stretched vertically, it looked like the sides had been clipped.

I'll try a short uncompressed section, though I don't think my drives are fast enough.

Eliot

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]