FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need suggestions choosing a new card

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Morrison
Need suggestions choosing a new card
on Nov 3, 2009 at 7:23:02 pm

I currently have an older edit suite running a Decklink SP card. I am upgrading to a new edit suite and need some suggestions on a new Decklink card. Currently I shoot on a Sony PD-170 producing 30 second TV commercials and the occasional 5 to 10 minute marketing video. I have to drop down to BetaSP on a UVW1800 for distribution to the network stations in 2 different markets. I'm going to upgrade to a Canon XL-H1s but I'll still need to drop down to SD to my BetaSP for distribution until the local stations make their upgrades. I'd also like the ability to move my current footage over to my new edit suite for various ongoing projects. My question is do I need to spend a ton of money on an HD Extreme or can I get away with just a Studio or even an Intensity Pro? Part of my problem is that no one at any of the TV stations can tell me what or how they will take future content, and I still need to output to BetaSP for the meantime. Oh and I'm editing with CS4 if it matters...

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Need suggestions choosing a new card
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:07:11 am

Hi,

Sounds like the DeckLink Studio will be ideal. It's got lots of analog connection options so you can connect to the BetacamSP but it is also a 10-bit HD card with SDI / HD-SDI ins and outs.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Nov 4, 2009 at 3:31:25 pm

Thank you for the suggestion! I believe that the Studio is a modern version of the card I am currently using. I am just curious though... would the Intensity Pro (I am not that familiar with the card) work for my situation or would it just be a waste of money? I realize that it only has an analog breakout cable but I hopefully don't anticipate having to use my BetaSP deck for very much longer (and I could just crash record for now) and if I could save money by taking this route then I could add a little more power to my edit suite.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Nov 10, 2009 at 3:11:09 am

Hi Matt,

It still does sound like you're doing work that will require delivering a master on tape? That will mean you need timecode accurate insert edits and the DeckLink Studio with RS422 is still the better option. The Intensity Pro does not have RS422 for this.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]