FORUMS: list search recent posts

BlackMagic Mini Convertor HDMI to HDSDI. several problems please help

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pierre
BlackMagic Mini Convertor HDMI to HDSDI. several problems please help
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:57:25 pm

My computer isn't recognizing the convertor. In the convertor utility "settings" and "video levels" are grayed out and can't be selected or manipulated.

Also, there was no dip switch documentation that came with the convertor.... and the downloadable manual says nothing about the dip switch's.

I'm coming out of the mini HDMI port on a Canon 5D MK 11 (1080i) (to the converter) and then from the converter HD-SDI to an 8.4" Panasonic HD monitor.

I'm getting an image, but it's only filling a little less than half the size of the screen... so it's not 1080. I'm pretty sure the converter box is down-converting the signal....

The problem is I don't know how to change it because I can't get the software to work with the converter box and have no documentation on the dip switches.

I downloaded the latest software from blackmagic.
running new macpro with 10.6.1

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: BlackMagic Mini Convertor HDMI to HDSDI. several problems please help
on Oct 20, 2009 at 5:40:18 pm

Hi as far as i know D bodys give out only SD video.

See the camera manual.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:59:54 pm

actually it sends a 1080 30P or 29.97 signal through the hdmi UNTIL you press record (at which point the signal goes to 480P).

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:01:50 am

I believe the Canon EOS D5 Mk II only puts out a 1920x1080p
30p signal, not 1080i 29.97.

from the Canon website -
To help show off those fantastic movies as well as still photos, the EOS 5D Mark II camera includes an HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output to display crisp, clear images on a High-Definition TV.

Monitors that can auto sync to any input will be able to display the output, but products designed for professional video applications will not be able to do this -

from the Blackmagic website -
HDMI Format Support 625/25 PAL, 525/29.97 NTSC, 625/50p PAL, 525/59.94p NTSC, 1080p23.98/24, 1080i50, 1080i59.94/60, 720p50 and 720p59.94/60.

SORRY - no 30p support. it says 1080i/60, but you are 1080p/60

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:57:17 pm

Yeah Bob you're right.
I called Black Magic yesterday... the tech immediately knew the answer as he's had a bunch of the exact same Canon 5D MK II calls. Nonetheless, I'm returning the blackmagic for an AJA (which I wanted to get in the first place but couldn't find it on the day I needed it).

The AJA HA5 definitely does 1080P 30 and bandpro makes a custom cable to go from my anton bauer battery on the back of my monitor.

so problem solved.

thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Brian Wells
on Nov 8, 2009 at 12:25:20 am

I have the camera and the Blackmagic. Here are my observations.

1) The output of the camera is 1080i60, according to all my Panasonic monitors (I have several models).

2) The camera, by default, crops the 1080i60 output to letterbox, until you hit the "info button." Then, it's more or less full screen. It still has frame lines overlaid on the live output, same as the camera lcd.

3) As soon as you hit "record" there's a five second black out on the HD-SDI monitors, while the camera changes to a 480i60 output over HDMI, which is 4x3 letterbox. That only happens when you're recording. As soon as you hit "stop" it goes back to the 1080i60 output over HDMI (and after another 5 seconds...)

4) The black line issue that some people (including me) have experienced while the camera is in 480i mode, is corrected with a firmware update, using Blackmagic software and the USB port.

5) My particular unit only liked 5v - 12v power sources. Anton Bauer Dionic's do not seem to work.

Highlights of the Blackmagic unit over the AJA:

1) AJA is 5v only. So I don't know how anyone is going to power that in the field without hassle's.

2) AJA doesn't advertise support for 480i over HDMI. So, it apparently goes black while recording (I have no way to confirm this, since I do not have an AHA HA-5 available for testing). Would appreciate feedback.

One Gripe about the Canon 5D:

1) It does not output audio over HDMI. If you plug in the stereo mini plug audio output cable, it kills the HDMI. So, it seems there is no way to get HD video and audio at the same time. This is a bummer, of course, because there are now ways to record quality audio with this camera (using magic lantern firmware) and yet you can't play your footage back on a monitor, and hear the audio, both at the same time. Ridiculous.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:38:14 pm

I concur with everything you're saying.

I will add that the AJA HA-5 does NOT auto switch to 480 upon pressing the record button. I was shocked when I figured this out (spoke with AJA tech).... I think the black magic is actually the better adapter when used with the 5D MK II.

Abel Cine Tech makes a power adapter to run off Anton Bauers for the AJA, it's under 100$ bucks.

I understand that Canon is releasing an "update" ; ) for the MK II sometime in the first half of 2010. Hopefully they'll address these issues.

1. Full HD out of the HDMI during recording
2. Audio and HDMI can simultaneously be active during recording
3. 24P

Return to posts index

Harry Rabin
Re: BlackMagic Mini Convertor HDMI to HDSDI. NO OUTPUT when Record enabled
on Oct 16, 2010 at 5:25:52 am

I have the BlkMAGIC Mini HDMI to SDI and it DOES NOT work with the CANON 5D MII to my disappointment when RECORD is enabled on the camera! It goes blank to the Marshall SDI monitor, invalid SDI output? Is there a fix for this? Firmware for the Mini Converter?

It only works when you do not enable record. I also tried a Panasonic HMR10 recorder, same thing when you press record, it says invalid SDI output but of course records fine as long as I do not enable record on the camera.

Its supposedly a 480i 4x3 format, why won't that pass through the converter to my monitor?

http://www.seamusic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]