FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Quality HDMI live capture

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Watson
High Quality HDMI live capture
on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:42:05 pm

Ok, if I have a canon s10 camcorder that can output 1080p through HDMI and I am interested in capturing live footage on my Mac Pro to Final Cut Pro 7 (and use in colorMotion/After Effects also) using a Blackmagic device what would be the best option for capturing the best quality footage that I can? I'm thinking Prores 4444.

Would getting a Decklink HD Extreme and I guess the HDMI to SDI converter be a good way to go? In other words, would I get any better quality than say just using a Decklink Studio card or even an Intensity Pro card?

Return to posts index

Robert Clegg
Re: High Quality HDMI live capture
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:11:26 am

We captured from an XBOX360 using HDMI and a Decklink Extreme HD card and it looked pretty lossless. Think we captured in Pro-Res codec..

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Kelly Watson
Re: High Quality HDMI live capture
on Oct 19, 2009 at 9:09:06 pm

Thanks Robert. Did you use the HDMI input?

From reading the spec on the Extreme HD it seems that the highest quality comes from the SDI input. It also offers better workflow with other applications. So, I guess what I need to know is with a HDMI camcorder can a higher quality be achieved with the Extreme using the dual SDI that can't be achieved with the other models such as Intensity or Decklink Studio which are cheaper? I just mainly want to work with Prores 444.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]