FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Express 2.0.1 now available

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Dowling
Media Express 2.0.1 now available
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:40:52 am

Hi,

Media Express 2.0.1 is now available from the Blackmagic Design website. It is now a stand alone installer, however for this version you will need to install DeckLink 7.3.2, Multibridge 7.3.2 or Intensity 3.3.2. Subsequent versions of Media Express can be installed over the DeckLink drivers.

As well as a huge number of improvements, the main items in this release are:

• DPX naming convention now has an option to capture "absolute frame numbers"
• DPX naming convention now has a maximum of 8 digits
• Timecode is now captured into AVI files (PC)
• MotionJPEG performance improvements (PC)

The fixed resolution of 1920x1200 is still there, however this is going to change very soon - so you can use a smaller monitor.

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Iliya Gitlin
Re: Media Express 2.0.1 now available
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:27:01 am

The fixed resolution of 1920x1200 is still there, however this is going to change very soon - so you can use a smaller monitor.
I was hoping that this update will remove the fixed resolution of the monitor
How soon? for me and other people prefer to use a smaller monitor.

Return to posts index

Iliya Gitlin
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:22:02 am

ME 2.01 can not capture and playback DV, but it is really needed

Return to posts index

Andreas Wideroe
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:25:14 am

Dear Matt and the rest at Blackmagic!

Thanks for your updates. Great to see Mediaexpress is finally (soon)becoming useful for us.

I must say I think your priority number 1 must be the locked GUI problem with 1920x1200 only mode. Here at our facility we've been waiting for Mediaexpress2 since you first news about it at the NAB 2009. We have several production machines with new Decklink Studio cards just waiting to get Mediaexpress in a monitor friendly version. Most monitors we use for capture/ingest have a lower resolution than what Mediaexpress currently supports so for us a fix for this problem is crucial. (and I know most of your customers agree)

Another thing that would be fantastic is:

- Be able to capture to MOV/Quicktime containers on Windows

- Be able to capture to DV25 (.avi and .mov) that are easy to import into DV projects in Final Cut/Premiere for smaller productions or consumers.

Anyways - thanks for your updates and I hope to see a resolution change for Mediaexpress2 very very VERY soon!

Best regards,
Andreas Wideroe

Norsk Smalfilm AS (telecine and video ingest/archive/restoration studio)

---
Norsk Smalfilm AS
http://www.smalfilm.no

Filmshooting | Com
http://www.filmshooting.com

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Oct 8, 2009 at 1:32:49 pm

Great stuff Matt :)

Not had many issues. Few hangs with alot of DPX seq's on OSX.

Actually looking forward to making it full screen on a 30" :-/

Return to posts index

Andre Racine
on Oct 8, 2009 at 3:01:11 pm

Nice to see an updated player.

Of course, like everyone else I'd like to see the resolution lock-in removed but there are a few other issues that I have (and had with verion 2.0) that would be great to see fixed in upcoming versions.

- When importing Motion-JPEG 8-bit (HD 1080i) the video is darker than importing uncompressed 8 bit YUV (gamma? black at 0 ire?). When played in Blackmagic media express v1 the vids are both correct.

- Impossible to import videos created with 44100 Hz audio. Software will only take 48000 Hz audio. Again, Blackmagic media express v1 always accepted them all with no problem.

- Impossible to import videos created in 30 fps (HD 1080i). Software will only take 29.97 fps. Again, Blackmagic media express v1 always accepted them with no problem.

- The "open recent" doesn't rememeber anything.

That's all the testing I've done so far so I can't comment on the other aspects of the software. It's a very promising player and I can't wait until all the "major" quirks are ironed out.

BTW, I'm not complaining, just helping in troubleshooting.

Return to posts index

adrian finn
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:47:51 pm

Are there plans to make Media Express work with PPC CPU's? There still must be a large user base of late model G5's still being used -

Return to posts index

Johan Nordanfors
on Feb 23, 2010 at 2:22:33 pm

+1 for PPC support. We have a few machines we would like to use for batch capture only.

Return to posts index

Oliver Maingay
on Oct 9, 2009 at 10:26:00 am

I second the QuickTime/MOV thing. Would be an extremely useful feature for us to be able to capture QuickTime in Windows. Being able to capture QuickTime in DV as well as uncompressed would be the icing on the cake.

Return to posts index

Evangelos Achillopoulos
on Oct 10, 2009 at 8:22:29 am

Thanks Matt for the DPX naming...

If there is not timecode present in VITC then use a "REC run" function, that means the software has to "remember" what was the last recorded timecode either by storing it or by looking at the last recorded frame on the particular project.

Also a big problem is the captured RGB range... we need when we do Prores 444 or DPX to capture in the 10bit range 0 to 1023 values.

Matt have in mind that the application is going to be used for on set capture, so it will not always be connected to a VTR... so the timecode should be grabbed from VITC also...

Also it will be great if the ME can act as a VTR... by emulating a VTR slave mode...

The last two things are quite big...

It would be perfect if along with the high resolution files also to capture a Prores proxy for editorial.

And to be able to playback with a 3D LUT...

An one that is coming from my dreams... use (somehow) your H264 USB device to create off line (or online) dailie's for ipods iphones etc...

Evangelos Achillopoulos
Elec. Engineer
DIT, DI/VFX supervisor

Return to posts index

Robin Erard
on Oct 11, 2009 at 8:36:42 am

Hello,

Bravo again. Again a 50% of good work. I'm agree with an other user : the number ONE problem is this resolution. I'm again very disapointed by your service. My father is working for watch industry, he can't offer a watch if it doesn't work 100% fine... then next time : tell us precisely what means "Soon, is it 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year ?

Sorry for my english I normally speak french.

Robin

réalisateur, scénariste, monteur
http://www.robinerard.ch

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Oct 12, 2009 at 7:34:02 am

Robin I do see your point and BM seem to have been caught out by some bugs that delayed the release but then again I have never been given a "free" watch :)

I was told that the Intensity as it does not support 10bit cannot do DPX with MediaExpress2 (ME2)

Though when I switch down to PAL ME2 can do DPX playback capture :-/

So why cannot it do 1080 DPX playback? Chips just not powerful enough ?

cheers

s

Return to posts index

Andreas Wideroe
on Oct 21, 2009 at 9:46:45 am

Any news on when we can expect a new version of Mediaexpress with a GUI that's not locked to 1920x1200?

Cheers,
Andreas

---
Norsk Smalfilm AS
http://www.smalfilm.no

Filmshooting | Com
http://www.filmshooting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]