FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme 3 bad component input

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Fuller
Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme 3 bad component input
on Oct 6, 2009 at 11:56:27 am

I've just built a new suite based on a Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme 3 running on a Mac Pro/FCP. We already run another suite with a DeckLink HD Extreme (the original model without HDMI), and a MacBook Pro based suite with an AJA ioHD, and have had no quality based problems with either in their 2+ years use.

The problem on the new card seems to be on the Y channel of the component input. Capturing PAL, we're getting a very soft picture, plus a 'ghosting' effect either side of any vertical lines. There is also a thin (2 pixel) black line running a couple of lines down from the top of the screen across the entire width of the screen.

I've tried every possible combination of cables, slot configurations, alternative decks, etc in order to route out the problem. It looks like a bad connection on the Y - Switch to SDI input and the issues go away and the image is a clean as it should be. Hook the same bit of footage up to the other suite or the AJA and perform exactly the same comparison and they both perform exactly as they should - so it's not an environmental issue (ie cables, monitor, etc)...

We're lucky enough to be based close to the Blackmagic Design UK distributor, so they sent an engineer out with a new card to check out the problem. The new card (and new breakout cable) did exactly the same thing - so not a faulty individual card...

So we swapped the cards around in their respective Macs. Still the same problem with the Extreme 3 - so not a problem with the Mac Pro...

So, having exhausted every option I can think of, and Blackmagic insisting that there is no inherent problem with the DeckLink Extreme HD 3 (despite having witnessed the issue here), what I'm here to ask is: Has anyone else had problems with capturing analogue via component on the DeckLine HD Extreme 3? Could it be a bad batch?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Grey
Re: Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme 3 bad component input
on Oct 7, 2009 at 5:53:33 am

would this have anything to do with my problem do you think? I also have 'ghosting' issues:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/872254

Return to posts index

James Fuller
Re: Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme 3 bad component input
on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:20:29 am

Doesn't sound like the same issue as my problem seems to be on the input only and is fine if I input via SDI.

However, with your problem, it sounds like a bad connection (which is what I'd put my problem down to, had I not tested it with two different cards, compared with alternative capture hardware, etc.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]