FORUMS: list search recent posts

SMissing Extended Desktop after reinstall

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Fowler
SMissing Extended Desktop after reinstall
on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:51:17 pm

I did a clean install of 10.6

Installed FCP Studio 3, DeckLink HD Extreme 2 drivers, and HDlink Pro drivers.

But I still can't get an extended desktop. In the system prefs I only have Black / Last Frame Played as options.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Berenger Capmany
Re: SMissing Extended Desktop after reinstall
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:29:42 pm

Hi there!

I guess they have killed the extended desktop feature on the latest drivers...

I happened the same to me after updating the Drivers.

I usually have the Desktop off but it's pretty useful when you needed.

it's a pitty!

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:26:43 pm

Hey all,

I'm pretty much just poaching Kristian's post from a few days ago, but here is the basic info and reasons behind it.

The main reason is that Apple Color checks each desktop it detects for OpenGL compatibility and because the extended desktop output is not OpenGL, Color fails to launch.

Also, the way the OS enumerates the displays may sometimes cause issues which are undesirable and beyond our control. Such as the video desktop enumerates with a higher priority than the acutal graphics cards which messes up features that requires hardware acceleration from the graphics cards.

Extended desktop was first conceived many years ago so that users can have proper TV colorspace output from Photoshop and After Effects by dragging the canvases across to the "tv screen". However, we now have proper plugins so that users can output directly from Photoshop and After Effects so the desktop feature is no longer used much.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Filippo Ferlini
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:05:50 am

Dear Joshua,

I agree with your statement, and understand, but in our case this cut off is a big problem.
We are using two Studio to broadcast (litteraly) two chat windows from iChat.
It is a very basic use, but work. Or, better, worked.

Some suggestions on a workaround?

thanks

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:16:07 pm

Thanks Joshua for the update.

I understand (only slightly) the difficulties with Open GL and color.

What bothers me is that functionality was removed from a product that I purchased largely in part for that particular functionality. I used to have the option to turn OFF in order to run color. This was a pain, and I would rather not do it, but I would still rather have the option, than to have it taken away.

Now that I think about it, it's not the kind of thing I would expect from Blackmagic Design.

Going back to the old drivers would be fine with me, as long as they will work with Snow Leopard.

I appreciate what BMD does, and I'm excited that they now bought Divinci.

Bryan
Chattanooga, TN

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 25, 2009 at 12:10:53 am

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the feedback.

What exactly do you use the extended desktop for? Is it just for more desktop space while in the Finder?

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Oliver Maingay
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:18:22 am

Hi Kristian,

We also used the Extended Desktop feature frequently in our facility. Often our clients want to view their performances on television and it was very useful to be able to play out embedded video from websites through SDI to tape or DVD for review purposes.

Is there any chance of this feature returning?

Regards

Oliver

Return to posts index

Kemmon Gull
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:25:25 pm

We use the extended desktop feature as our primary use of the Decklink cards. We use 2 Mac Pros for all playback and CG for our main auditorium. We can get video played out other ways, but have to accomodate a large number of Keynote and Powerpoint presentations which will not work without it. The whole reason we bought Decklink cards was to provide second monitor output in SDI format.

Now with a driver update, our investment in the cards (as well as software to support them, ie ProPresenter Advanced and Keyer modules) is out the window. My only recourse now seems to be to buy additional computers with second display cards and external DVI to SDI converters for some applications, and use existing computers with DeckLink cards for others.

Not happy.

Return to posts index

Chris Ruffell
on Sep 30, 2009 at 12:43:13 am

The Extended Desktop feature is an absolutely integral part of my company's daily workflow; removal of this feature has been an unpleasant surprise. As a busy facility, having a feature being completely removed without warning across all of our systems has been disruptive.

As we do not use Apple Color, or any other pieces of software that have experienced any problems (OpenGL related) that have been suggested, we’d appreciate having the option to choose whether or not to use Extended Desktop.

I urge Blackmagic Design to please reinstate the Extended Desktop feature, or make older versions of the driver software available, again, as a choice.

Thank you,
Christopher Ruffell
Aclara Promotions

Return to posts index

Bruce Little
on Oct 3, 2009 at 2:48:20 am

I also just bought this card based on the information on the website stating this feature..
Please.. put this back.
thanks

Return to posts index

Andre Racine
on Oct 5, 2009 at 12:40:24 pm

We bought 2 cards primarily because of that feature (on windows). Please bring this choice back in the control panel.

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Savastano
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:03:24 pm

I bought this card thinking that I would be able to use the extended desktop and the HDlink PRO for color correcting more precisely on Color and now these great news come suddenly after an minor update, from an issue on a forum post! Man! With all respect: Are you saying that we've spent our money for nothing and that there is nothing to do about it? I really don't believe in that! If it's true, unfortunalety, this was the last product I've bought from Blackmagic.

Sincerely,

Rodrigo Savastano

Return to posts index

Filippo Ferlini
on Oct 5, 2009 at 5:54:23 pm

It is not a clean solution, but we was able of come back to 7.1.2 drivers, under Snow Leopard.
WIth some minor errors the two systems are working with extended desktop. Until BMD put back this option.

Return to posts index

Gregor Murth
on Oct 11, 2009 at 10:46:05 pm

For me this was one of the top bonuses of the BMD cards.

It was not the core feature I was looking for, but when I found out about it, I used it very often. I do not have endless room at my table and using the video monitor as extended desktop was a perfect solution for me.

I think that more users actually used the extended desktop on a regular basis than color. And if you are a color user you are already (hopefully) proficient enough to turn your extended desktop off.

The needs of all users are quite different I guess, so it would fit better if the choice was still there.

Please provide a fix for that.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on Nov 26, 2009 at 10:07:41 pm

Hi Joshua

I have just bought two new PC's with decklink cards for our new studios. We need to have a simple Character generator to display slate info in HDSDI between scenes.

However, we installed Windows 7 and the decklink SDI drivers and found that the extended desktop functionality was removed. We wanted to use MS Powerpoint to drive the second monitor with simple text. It looks like we will have to purchase Photoshop to do this now - serious overkill.

Most studios with ongoing drama recordings use a simple CG to display slate info between scenes. This normally gets distributed throughout the building so all crew get continuous status updates between all scenes.

Please bring it back - or give us a simple way to get text out on HDSDI?

Mmmm.... hopefully by this time you realize that people in this industry are creative - technically - and found many more uses for features like extended desktop than you ever thought of...

Thanks
Francois

Regards
Francois

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]