FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playstation3 HD Analog to SDI

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hill
Playstation3 HD Analog to SDI
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:20:44 am

Hi

I'm trying to connect a Playstation 3 via component cables and a Blackmagic Analog to SDI Mini converter to an Avid Mojo box.

When the Playstation and Avid are set to standard definition PAL everything works fine. However, when I set them both to 1080i the image in the capture window of Avid flickers around and is generally a mess. I can just make out the image from the Playstation so I know some sort of signal is going through.

In actual fact I'm only using the Avid to test whether I am able to get a HD signal to SDI.

We are in production of a kids animated series which has elements where real kids interact with the imagery. Every few weeks we have a day of green screen shooting. At the moment on each green screen shoot the HD camera feeds into a hired Panasonic vision mixer which only accepts SDI inputs. We then use a little Archos media viewer to display the images that we are comparing to. The problem is that the Archos only outputs a composite SD signal. So we have to hire two other boxes, one to convert to SDI and one to upscale. It seems overly complicated and expensive. The Playstation seemed like an inexpensive and flexible machine to use for this simple task as it can display HD content and allows me to adjust the size and position of the still images.

I can not test the Playstation and Mini converter with the Panasonic Vision Mixer as we only hire it on the day of the shoot.

So my question is, do I need to adjust the settings on the Mini Converter? Do you think Avid may be at fault? Or do you think that the Playstation is not outputting the right signal to work with the converter?

Sorry if this sounds complicated. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm an animator by trade so I have to pick up this hardware knowledge as I go along.

Thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Playstation3 HD Analog to SDI
on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:53:39 pm

The AVID Mojo SDI does not accept an HD-SDI signal, only SDI. When they say "AVID Mojo SDI that support HD" - they mean HD via firewire.

The only hardware that AVID makes that supports HD-SDI is the AVID Mojo DX, and AVID Nitris DX. Your Mojo SDI will not accept an HD-SDI signal. To get your analog HD signal into a Mojo SDI, you would need to first convert the HD YPbPr signal to HD-SDI, and then DOWNCONVERT the HD-SDI to SD-SDI with another converter box.

THANKS AVID !

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Hill
on Sep 17, 2009 at 12:38:41 am

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. We do have a Mojo DX. I didn't realise there was another Mojo. My mistake.

I've got a Media Composer project set up using 1080i as its format. Then I've connected the Playstation 3, also set to output 1080i, to the Blackmagic analog to SDI converter. Which in turn is connected to the SDI input on the Mojo DX.

I then use the Capture Tool to grab what the Playstation is outputting. As I said it works when both are set to SD but not when HD. I'm not trying to capture games or Blu-ray movies I simple what the Playstation menu and its built in image viewer.

I'm hoping that it will just work properly with the Vision Mixer when we get it for the shoot. But if I can get it to work with Avid then it will put my mind at rest.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Sep 20, 2009 at 11:59:21 pm

I don't want to sound like I'm telling you how to suck eggs, but normally these things come back to simple issues.

I've done plenty of work with a PS3 in the mix, as we made nearly 100 episodes of a Video Games show.

You say you are setting the outputs to 1080i...are you working in 50hz or 60hz? ie - 25 fps or 29.7fps?

I'm not sure about the current firmaware on your PS3....but I'm pretty sure you may have a seperate setting for this in the display settings. If you are working in a 50hz project, 60hz will flicker and carry on, and vice versa for 50hz into a 60hz project.

I have not used the AVID, but the same rules should apply.

Also...the games set their own output requirements on boot-up...it's possible the PS3 has a default display setting.

Hope this helps.

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Paul Hill
on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:16:06 am

Hi

Thanks for all the help.

I think the problem does lie with the 50hz or 60hz settings. I can not find an option in the PS3 to actually change this setting. It only seems to let you change the resolution.

In the end since we were only using it to compare a camera feed to an image we just set the camera's AV output to SD and did the same with the PS3 and vision mixer. It worked fine for what we needed. It just would have been nice if it had worked in HD.

Thanks once again. The help was much appreciated.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]