--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: Media Express 2
on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:02:22 am

Hello Margus,

No one seems to be talking about it, I think it does not work with Windows 7, that's why it's always being delayed. Perhaps, it will get released on October the 22nd Windows 7 launch date or shortly after?

Also the details on what Media Express 2.0 will do is very vague to say the least on the Blackmagic website, what actual advantages will it give us high end users?

I can't seem to get the Blackmagic Eclipse working under CS4 even with the update, so I have just gone back to the CS3.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:04:56 am

I just got mail second before your replay :)

DeckLink 7.3 with Media Express 2

We have just posted a new DeckLink 7.3 update with Media Express 2.0 included. This is a very big update because it includes a lot of new features, and Media Express 2.0 is a very large update which is a complete rewrite of the software.

The new Media Express 2.0 public beta included in the Mac OS X and Windows DeckLink installers as well as Linux. Currently the Linux installer is in the DeckLink SDK download, but we will change that in the next weeks to make it easer to download.

Media Express 2.0 has the same user interface on all platforms, so its easy to move between systems. With Media Express on Linux, we have a very nice total solution for high quality capture and playback on the platform, so people doing 3D and other Linux based work should really like this update.

Media Express 2.0 has also been included in the Multibridge and Intensity installers as well so if you have one of these models, please download it! It needs a 24 inch monitor to use it correctly.

Also included in DeckLink 7.3 is support for 1080p50/60 video modes in DeckLink HD Extreme 3 that works in both dual link and single link 3 Gb/s SDI formats. Also included is additional support for Final Cut Pro 7, including easy setups for ProRes 4444 and RED workflow. DeckLink 7.3 for Windows also includes improved Fusion support and support for Fusion x64.

The software and a new manual are available to download now at http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/software/

--

Margus

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:11:18 am

Hello Margus,

I'll give this a go now for the Eclipse. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm suprised that the 23.976/24p, 25/50 1280x720 down-conversion and capture are not available.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Evangelos Achillopoulos
on Sep 11, 2009 at 4:50:19 pm

I just tried it...

It looks like silk... The test's I run were on a MacPro.

I have to state two problems...

1. I couldn't use it at 1280 x 800 resolution... It locks at 1920 x 1200... thats a big problem when you don't have big displays handy especially on set...

They could add some scroll bars on the clips side and resize the viewing window. The 1280 x 800 resolution should be the minimum...

2. I couldn't select which Prores codec I want it says just "Apple prores" also I would like to be able to select other codec's found in the machine like sheer video or cineform... and we need to be able to access the options of the codec's also.

That's my first impressions that depressed me immediately...

Evangelos Achillopoulos
Elec. Engineer
DIT, DI/VFX supervisor

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Sep 12, 2009 at 4:51:30 am

Hi.

Not so silky to me. FCP did not feel well with it (i mean with whole 7.3).
Probably as i have not updated to SL and fcs 7.
Have to test it a bit.

--

Margus

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 12, 2009 at 10:19:41 am

Hello,

I tried to load a Microsoft DV AVI 720x576 25fps PAL into Media Express 2.0 it says not supported?

Maybe that's why the Media Express 1.0 legacy one is installed as well?

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Matt Dowling
on Sep 12, 2009 at 10:51:13 am

Hi Leo,

We will be doing several small updates to Media Express 2 over the next week or so and part of that may include supporting formats such as Microsoft DV.

We included Media Express 1 in the installers as Media Express 2 is still a beta release and we did not want to leave anyone high and dry if something was to go a skew with the beta builds.

So expect to see several small updates over the next week or so.

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 12, 2009 at 11:05:31 am

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the post, so it will support all Blackmagic formats Media Express 2.0, so if I converted the DV file into a SD Blakcmagic 8 bit 422 then It should play okay I presume as it's only going to play Blackmagic formats/codecs.

Also any news on the capture and HD/SD down-convert of footage 1280x720 23.976/24p and 50.25p via the Blackmagic cards to a Broadcast monitor Analogue - Component, SDI?

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Evangelos Achillopoulos
on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:36:07 am

We would like to have the updates in a separate installer, if possible, outside of the drivers since the software is in beta state...

I don't like to install the drivers every time that I test ME2...

Evangelos Achillopoulos
Elec. Engineer
DIT, DI/VFX supervisor

Return to posts index

Matt Dowling
on Sep 12, 2009 at 10:57:56 am

Hi Evangelos,

The first release version of Media Express 2 will be locked to 1920x1200. I agree that it needs to support other resolutions, and we are looking at doing that soon but for now we just wanted to get the beta release out to our users and get some real world feedback before we cut a GM.

We appreciate the feedback

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Evangelos Achillopoulos
on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:31:39 am

Matt, thanks for the response.

I just wanted to state that a more open selection on the capture preferences will be essential...

1. Select input 720,1080,2k,RGB dual link, single, 3Gps etc.
2. Select codec with options.
3. Select downconversion options if applicable

Plus I have tested the RGB capture with my Viper to DPX.

1. The DPX's didn't had a name in this form [name of take].000000.dpx I had to use automator to rename them
2. The 4 digits are not enough a 7 or 8 digits would be ok, again I used automator to renumber them.
3. The regular numbering of DPX's should be the VITC timecode converted to absolute frame number in 8 digits form. This is the norm on scanned DPX's. Or if there is no TC from VITC is good to have an option like the TC_Regen/RecRun on videos
4. The DPX that i did capture didn't open in Color, I will check with other software if they open.

I want to state also that this software is longly waited from DIT's around the world, so a VITC time code stamp will be very useful for many applications, also a programmable keyboard shortcuts will be perfect for on set use.

I hope I give some feedback that will be added to the first release...

Evangelos Achillopoulos
Elec. Engineer
DIT, DI/VFX supervisor

Return to posts index

Iliya Gitlin
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:28:25 am

my PC
X7DAE
2x 5130 xeon
Nvidia 8800GTS 320mb
Decklink Pro PCI

1. locked to 1920x1200 - is a not good idea
2. i don't see video in capture window, but video captured is ok
3. ME2 cannot import my DV PAL/NTSC video - is a bad
4. ME2 cannot capture in DV PAL/NTSC - is a bad too
5. need to capture only the sound in wav format

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 14, 2009 at 1:18:53 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback and please keep the comments coming.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Don Eifert
on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:29:14 pm

One more thing for the fix list.

Did a 1080i w/ 12 chan audio capture from Sony SRW-5500... no problem.

When writing the clip back to tape, only the first 8 audio channels go into insert edit when all 12 are selected. The audio for 9-12 did play out but I had to run out to the deck and manually turn on the edit enables.

Don

Return to posts index

Matt Dowling
on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:26:19 pm

Hi Don -

Thanks for the heads up! We should be able to clean that one up pretty quickly.

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 14, 2009 at 1:20:30 pm

[Iliya Gitlin] ". i don't see video in capture window, but video captured is ok "

Hi,

What format of video are you capturing when this problem occurs?

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Iliya Gitlin
on Sep 15, 2009 at 7:15:14 am

i capture SD PAL from DigiBeta
8bit YUV

Return to posts index

Ben Matsen
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:26:42 am

I agree with Evangelos

BlackMagic have alienated users of lower resolution displays. I use 2 x 22in 1680x1050 Samsung screens, as I prefer a wider display over a tall one, and i monitor to a full HD screen via HDMI and a SD screen via S-video, so I have no need for more than FULL HD displays for final cut.

BlackMagic should take note from their Deck Control software, its small and simple, and does not dominate the entire screen.

Like Evangelos, i'm pretty disappointed with Blackmagic on this release.

Come on guys, get it right in the next release!

Matsen Company Film - Film, Production, Post, Print

http://www.matsen.co.uk

Mac Pro 2.8G 8 Core, 12GB Ram, Decklink HD Ext 2, OS X 10.5.8, Final Cut Studio 2.

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Sep 14, 2009 at 6:09:53 pm

I have pulled in some dpx sequences that are 2k. They seem to only play out at 2k 4:4:4. Is there a way to down rez this to 1920x1080 and playout at 4:2:2.

What i am trying to do is take the 2k dpx files from apple color and qc them in realtime out of media express. This would also be the same workflow for vfx shots. Render out the dpx that the clients want and play in media express to my HD monitor.

Right now I have to take the dpx files into another program and render them to a qt movie.

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

Matt Dowling
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:04:48 am

Hi Nick-

I just wanted to get some clarification about the 2K to 1920 feature request.

Are you wanting us to simply crop the 2048x1556 to 1920x1080 or actually scale to 1920? If it is simply crop, that is something we could do fairly easily in a future update.

Thanks,

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:55:07 pm

i Nick-

I just wanted to get some clarification about the 2K to 1920 feature request.
Are you wanting us to simply crop the 2048x1556 to 1920x1080 or actually scale to 1920? If it is simply crop, that is something we could do fairly easily in a future update.

Thanks,
Regards,
Matt
Blackmagic Design

Hi matt. A crop would work for a quick solution. I could use that for some stuff. But long term, scaling down to 1920 would be ideal. Also the output would have to be 4:2:2.

Thanks for listening.

-Nick

Nick Hasson

Return to posts index

Matt Dowling
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:17:14 am

Hi Ben,

I'm not sure if your saw my earlier post to Evangelos - we will be supporting more than 1920x1200 resolutions in a future version of Media Express 2. This will not happen in time for the GM version of the current beta but i do agree it is an important issue we need to address.

This is why we decided to leave the original DeckControl and Media Express V1 in the current installers.

Media Express 2.0 is a far more sophisticated application than DeckControl and Media Express V1, so it could never be as simple or look the same.

Please keep sending us your feedback, we do appreciate it.

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Sep 15, 2009 at 5:42:51 am

My computer seemed to have serious time to open bunch of the dpx files. Even opening the directory.

Could it be the problem with my machine or is this ME 2 and leopard thing?

I think this is more a os thing as after system recovery it seems to be the case. I just ask to be sure :)

--

Margus

Return to posts index

Ben Matsen
on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:27:28 am

Hey Matt,

Thanks for that, i was not looking at the entire thread when I encountered the comments from Evang....

However, has anyone else had issues with the driver that came with this 7.3 release??? I installed it on my mac pro (I have two mac pros, one has a Decklink Extreme 2 HD and the other has only a Decklink Extreme HD (without the HDMI ports)

When I installed on both machines, the older of the two cards worked fine, whilst the newer one (with the HDMI ports) sent scrambled output via my already connected S-video crt. Does this update alter the output ports? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Mac Pro 2.8G 8 Core, 12GB Ram, Decklink HD Ext 2, OS X 10.5.8, Final Cut Studio 2.

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:57:06 pm

One other thing that I have noticed. On my early 2008 Mac pro, The application hang when i quit it. I have to force quit the application.

This is in 10.6 snow leopard.

Nick Hasson

Return to posts index

Iliya Gitlin
on Sep 15, 2009 at 5:07:13 pm

Please, first unlock the resolution interface.
in this form is extremely difficult to fully test the program

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 15, 2009 at 5:56:34 pm

Any support for the 1280x720 formats 23.976, 24, and 25p? For these formats for capture, playback, downconvert with Blackmagic?

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Matt Dowling
on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:01:29 pm

Hi Leo -

We currently do not have any plans to support these formats. What equipment would you be using that supports these rates?

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:15:54 pm

Hello Matt,

JVC H100/200 Series, Panasonic Varicam. I can't udnerstand why these are not supported frame rates and resolutions? AJA supports all of these so I will have to go to an AJA card instead of Blakcmagic so that I can work with these formats.

AJA XENA LHI and LHE Support all these

HD
720p 23.976
720p 24
720p 25
720p 29.97
720p 30
720p 50
720p 59.94
720p 60
1080i 25
1080i 29.97
1080i 30
1080p 23.976
1080psf 23.976
1080p 24
1080psf 24
1080p 25
1080psf 25
1080p 29.97
1080psf 29.97
1080p50, 59.94, 60
1080p 30
1080psf 30
1080p 50
1080p 59.94
1080p 60

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:26:03 am

Hi Leo,

Lots of camera will shoot 720p24 and other non 720p60 framerates but these will only exist on file or tape. On output, the result will always be 720p60.

Varicam framerates are similar as well. They may be 720p24 (or 23.98) but always output over 720p59.94 over HD-SDI or Component video. I don't know of any monitor that will actually handle a native 720p24 signal but we'll happy to support those formats as native playout if there is a viable workflow. Can you point me to a monitor that supports this? I'll get the engineers to check them out because we've been looking for such monitors such day one and haven't been able to find them.

We currently support these formats in NLEs as part of our editing workflow but I'm sure we can roll Varicam pull down framerate support into Media Express as an update.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Jason Axelrod
on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:42:38 am

I use an Intensity Pro, and right now I LOVE Media Express 2.0... I used to use Cineform NEO, but HDLink doesn't work in Windows 7; so I've been forced to use Media Express. That being said, I do of course have a few requests...

1. 1920x1200... you already know... It would be easy enough to make changes to this. Simply make the file list smaller (allow us to select which columns to show?), make the box for playback control smaller (why is it so big to begin with?), and make all videos play on screen at 960x540...

2. The ability to disable the "Do you want to delete: Untitled 1.avi" popup when you finish recording something. I have deleted videos so many times by accident and unfortunately, with the type of content I record (video game tournament match videos), I am unable to recreate the content. I understand the need for this popup, but really, if I want to delete the video, I can do it myself.

3. The ability to rename files in the NAME column on the left side of Media Express. Normally I would rename files in windows explorer, but if I do that, it goes out of sync with the files in my project... so I would like to be able to rename files from within the project list.

4. Can we set the default name for files? "Untitled ##.avi" is terrible. I want to be able to do something like "Station Two ##.avi". I thought the old version had something like this... or was that AVIVO I am thinking of?

I only use Media Express for recording... I dont use it for editing, or playback... so I could honestly care less about anything else.

Return to posts index

Matt Dowling
on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:57:56 pm

Hi Ben,

This sounds like an issue we discovered yesterday - we posted a 7.3.1 update on the support page that should address this.

Please keep us posted if the update fixes your issue.

Regards,

Matt
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Ben Matsen
on Sep 16, 2009 at 8:30:28 am

Hey Matt,

Seems the 7.3.1 update sorted the video output issue. Just installed, so have not had chance to play with other outputs so will keep you posted if any problems arise.

Still stuck on the media express program resolution though...... cant wait for that to get fixed!

Ben

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Jan 3, 2010 at 6:06:19 pm

I found a workaround for the 1920x1200 problem under windows XP-SP3 in situations where the monitor resolution is lower than this, but your graphics card supports the higher resolution. See my 1/2/2010 post here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/872886

Return to posts index

Ben Matsen
on Sep 16, 2009 at 9:48:14 am

OK,

Now I am having FCP crash issues since installing this 7.3.1 driver. Unable to edit, so rolling back to 7.2.1 which was stable.

Next driver please.

FCP Latest update, and Decklink 2 HD Extreme.

Cheers,

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Matsen
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:02:05 pm

After a DAY of struggle, with FCP 6.0.6 crashing (post 7.3.1 driver update then rollback to 7.2.1) I HAD to disable the decklink card all together in order to finish a project I am working on.

Any suggestions on how to get my decklink card working again?

Ben <----Really Ticked off by the way!

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:26:24 pm

Hi Ben,

What do you have to do for it to crash? Send the crash log to our support guys (support@blackmagic-design.com) and they can have a look.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:44:51 pm

MacPro 2x 3.2 with a DL Extreme (orig) in running 10.5.8, FCS3 with DL 7.3.1

All installed ok. Video output is working from all apps as expected.

MediaExpress2 fails to quit. Have to force quite.

Cannot switch to FCP or AE or Nuke. It seems it grabs the DL card and wont give it back.

The ability to save the playlist as an XML and it loads into FCP as a bin is really nice, gets me thinking :)

Really really need the 2k options. All the Red sizes. Just cropped would be nice for now. But the ability to drop a red QT proxy that is _F (4K) and have it scaled to 1080 on the output would be handy. Not RT but handy.

Also no options for the likes of square pixel pal 1024x576. Could be a simple blowup to 1080.

Would be good if you could mix certain frame sizes. ie on a 1920x1080 proj you could actually have a clip thats 1024x576, its just that would be scaled on playback and the rest that are 1080 wont.

For DPX recording can the filename be the TC generated by the camera or tape ?

Another vote for scaling the Ui

Oh, and a vote for the ability to install on a machine with no i/o card currently installed. Would be good to prep playout or capture lists on a non-online/playout/capture.

Si

Return to posts index

Boris Jaramazovic
on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:24:45 am

Hi,
Question:
what about mpg files.....
in ME2 i can use only AVI, MOV, CIN and DPX for import files.
So what about mpg????

Thanks,
Boris

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Sep 19, 2009 at 11:49:12 am

Can anyone confirm that the 7.3.1 drivers work fine with a Multibridge Extreme and/or a Decklink HD Extreme (old w HDMI) on FCS2 under MacOSX 10.5.7 or 10.5.8.

Thanks

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]