FORUMS: list search recent posts

UltraScope 15" or 17" monitor

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rune Hansen
UltraScope 15" or 17" monitor
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:23:29 pm

I'm having a real problem fitting 24" monitors in racks and they take up enormous space in editing bays, and since the UltraScope has no option (now, hopefully later) to show less information and is not scalable, I'm a bit lost for solutions.

The obvious thing for the UltraScope would be to show only two meters on a 17" 1400x900 or 1680x1050 screen in a horizontal layout, and hopefully BMD will do this soon! However, right now there is no way of doing this. Added bonus to this would be the possibility of using a less powerful graphics card since you'd only be showing two scopes simultaneously. To me this seems like a vastly superior solution, but depends on BMD updating the software.

In the mean time I am considering having a 15.4" or 17" 1920x1200 LCD monitor built, based on a laptop LCD panel. I'm investigating the feasability of having this done directly in China. The cost would probably be higher than the cheapest 24" monitors, but hopefully not by too much. The monitor should have a VESA mount on the back so it can be mounted on arms and whatnot. I should be able to find a controller card with DVI definitely, and hopefully also HDMI in.

Would anybody be interested in a product like this? I've been completely unable to find one on the market and it's starting to really bother me a lot. These panels are in a huge number of laptops, and are extremely sharp.

If this is interesting we can consider making this a commercial product, and if we do it right they might even work reasonably well for on set 1920x1080 monitoring, although not color correct because of cost — I want to find the cheapest possible panel with that resolution.

Cheers,

--
Rune Hansen
Simplemente
Mexico

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: UltraScope 15" or 17" monitor
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:44:55 pm

In my opinion, no one would pay for this. Everyone complains that you have to use a 23" or 24" monitor to show all 6 scopes. I can only assume that in the next firmware release, Blackmagic will support "selectable" displays, that will allow for a smaller monitor that will fit into a rack. But I believe that no one will pay for your "custom" monitor. People don't want to buy a special $100 graphics card to make this work - so no one will spend several hundred for your "custom" monitor - but that is just my observation.

It's easier to just wait for a new firmware release with this feature (selectable displays).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Rune Hansen
Re: UltraScope 15" or 17" monitor
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:17:21 am

[Bob Zelin] In my opinion, no one would pay for this. Everyone complains that you have to use a 23" or 24" monitor to show all 6 scopes. I can only assume that in the next firmware release, Blackmagic will support "selectable" displays, that will allow for a smaller monitor that will fit into a rack. But I believe that no one will pay for your "custom" monitor. People don't want to buy a special $100 graphics card to make this work - so no one will spend several hundred for your "custom" monitor - but that is just my observation.

Yeah I know what you mean. Like I said the resolution for 2 selectable displays (which is what I would have on screen typically) would fit perfectly in a 17" cheap monitor at 1400x900 at current sizes. It would be great if someone from BMD could make this announcement, though. The absolutely best layout would be 2+audio to be honest. I'm still going to investigate the price on the monitors. I've found these panels very cheaply, so hopefully it's possible.

Also hopefully the spec for fewer layouts could be less than for the full system, so maybe we can make use of cheaper, smaller (mini-itx type) systems with only 1 PCIe slot. That would be cool.

--
Rune Hansen
Simplemente
Mexico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]