Gamma difference between After Effects and Final Cut

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Niels Crompton
Gamma difference between After Effects and Final Cut
on Sep 9, 2009 at 1:22:37 am

Hi Guys,

Essentially the output through a Blackmagic Intensity Pro is lighter in After Effects CS4 when compared to Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 on a JVC TM-H150C broadcast monitor.

For FCP to match AFX a gamma filter of 1.1 is needed.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I should note that this occurs irrespective of colour space, footage interpretation and display color management settings within After Effects. In this instance color management is turned off.

Finally, the footage is 1080p25 Prores(HQ) media created by Red Rushes from Red Build 20 4kHD files, rendering out to Prores PAL.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Joshua Mosley
Re: Gamma difference between After Effects and Final Cut
on Oct 3, 2009 at 1:11:42 pm

I've been struggling with this too. The video preview from aftereffects through blackmagic multibridge pro (hdsdi to jvc monitor) is brighter than the movies it renders (which i play back with blackmagics deck control to the same monitor).. It is consistent when I render blackmagic 10bit rgb, but inconsistent with yuv 10bit or yuv 8bit.

I noticed that all of the blackmagic mode options in the video preview prefs in after effects are RGB.. I wish blackmagic had a YUV preview mode - maybe that would solve it?

Josh

Return to posts index

Niels Crompton
Re: Gamma difference between After Effects and Final Cut
on Oct 3, 2009 at 3:11:45 pm

Joshua,

That is sound logic there though. I hadn't thought of checking it in Blackmagic's own software. It also confirms what I thought, that it is After Effects that is out of whack. That it is a RGB to YUV conversion issue seems probable. Similar in a way to playing back RGB Photo JPG movies in FCP, which display inconsistently, but render correctly... It would be great if After Effects would render in YUV too...

Nils

Macpro 8core 2.8GHz 4GB RAM 1TB RAID
Latest OS latest FCP
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]