FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Extreme output to monitor questions

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J. Tad Newberry
HD Extreme output to monitor questions
on Sep 8, 2009 at 1:26:00 am

i just got the HD Extreme card installed a few days ago, had major problems, worked through most, and due to Bob Zellins' zealousness for me to get a black burst generator, i have one on order! : )

in the meantime, a few questions:

- being an "HD Extreme" card, i'm surprised at the output. The only time i get a clear picture on my monitor is when playing an NTSC project on the timeline. If i'm working with XDCam, DVCPro HD or any other codec timeline, i get the super-jaggy look in the monitor. Oddly enough, my old Decklink SP card would show these timelines quite nicely on my monitor, so i'm assuming here that my lack of wisdom on the issue is the root of the problem...that is, there must be a setting somewhere that will allow better playback?

- (BBG on order!), but in the meantime, i still get "Error93-000" in the window of the 1800, and i was getting the "Tape Trouble. Check VTR. Do not attempt to eject tape or use transport without checking VTR first" error in FCP up trying to Edit to Tape. After a few tries of trashing prefs and restarting with no change, i zapped the PRAM and dumped out a tape "successfully", though with "Error93-000" still now in the deck window. question: will these problems go away once the BBG is hooked up??? (i realize my lack of wisdom will not be solved by the BBG, but hopefully the technical problems will be gone???)

Oy

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HD Extreme output to monitor questions
on Sep 8, 2009 at 1:57:21 am

Ooh Tad,

On the UVW-1800, Error-093 also says something else (be patient and stare at the display - it says NON-STD REF). Do you know what this means - it means you have NO BLACK REFERENCE going into your 1800. Don't you have a camera there ? Take the composite video output of your camera, and stick it into the REF VIDEO IN of the 1800. Now, loop out of the 1800 (it's a looping jack on the 1800, with a 75 ohm terminator switch - turn the switch off if you are going to loop), and go into the genlock input of your HD Extreme card. LOOK, no more problems ! Oh, your camera has to be turned ON.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 8, 2009 at 2:48:35 am

Ooh Bob...i think i must have a brain tumor or something (and, no, i'm not making fun of folks with such things). YES, ye olde BetaSP camera is hooked up the system...BUT, when i re-cabled everything this afternoon, i sen the comp vid out from the cam to the ref in on the card! So, back to square one,

(geez...sorry this is becoming "Sync 101"...)

Camera is turned on. Vid out from camera is going to Ref in on deck (when looking at the back of the 1800, the upper left connector - which has a looping connector to the right of it (at least, there's a line between the two, as there is between the pair of BNC connectors beneath this pair). I connect that looped connector (2nd from upper left) to the Ref in on the card, and i am not using the Y-loop at all with this setup, just putting Y out from the card to Y in on deck. Voila! No REF! (and "non std ref" doesn't show up), and black bar through the picture on the monitor. Say what? BUT, i can dump and play back tapes...just have the black bar through the monitor when playing/scrubbing on the timeline. Maybe with this set up you were meaning for me to do the Y-loop through? I hadn't thought so, but tried it anyway...and then where to put the output from the camera to the deck, and the output from the deck to the card?

Maybe i'm on the wrong Ref in's and out's on the deck??? Oy, life used to be so easy...

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 8, 2009 at 10:24:29 pm

The 1800 is a pain in the butt VTR. Take one more BNC, and loop the
Ref Video IN to the VIDEO INPUT on the VTR, and your problem will go away. (camera into Ref video in, ref video out to video in, video in loop to HD Extreme Genlock input. Both 75 ohm term switches OFF).

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 9, 2009 at 1:06:51 am

Rabbi Bob,

You now have a new devoted disciple (me). After snagging a Horita BSG-50 on ebay yesterday (and not patient enough for it to show up in a few days, i rented a Videotek VSG-201 (a rather ancient BBG) from my dealer/engineers, came home, hooked it up...and i am breathless. Just dropped a tape without a hitch. Amazing how the right toys make little kids so happy.

Thanks again for your patience with my boneheaded questions as well as your determination in getting me to act!

Peace has returned to the world.

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:46:31 pm

when your Horita BSG-50 shows up from ebay, remeber this - the BSG-50 is not like any other black generator. You MUST use the 75 ohm terminator switches correctly. It uses an open collector design, that requires the proper termination. If you have the 75 ohm term switch off, and you plug in your working Horita - it will appear as if the unit is broken -but it's not - it requires the correct termination (which is done by properly using the term switches on your VTR.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:32:56 am

thanks for the tip, Rabbi! : )

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:50:00 pm

Rabbi,

Thanks again for the tip. I got home last night, the Horita was here, i'm up and flying along. Thanks!

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]