FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrating monitor connected over BMD card

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Tesoro
Calibrating monitor connected over BMD card
on Sep 3, 2009 at 6:34:15 pm

Hi all,

Im running a monitor via HDMI off my BMD card for use in apple color and FCP. I've been using a spyder 3 elite to calibrate the monitor.

However, the way that spyder works is that it creates a calibrated monitor profile. And unfortunately the wonderful people at black magic decided not to include the extended desktop feature in the latest snow leopard update. The OS no longer recognizes my second monitor as a display rendering calibration via profile useless.

Is there another way to calibrate the monitor using the spyder that I am missing, or is there another way I should be calibrating alltogether?

Thanks,
George T.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Calibrating monitor connected over BMD card
on Sep 4, 2009 at 3:56:37 am

Hi George,

If you're using a Colorsync profile, it will only be loaded by the OS only in extended desktop mode as it is seen as a computer monitor. The moment you use any video application that sends output via the cards, those profiles no longer work.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Tristan Summers
Re: Calibrating monitor connected over BMD card
on Feb 6, 2011 at 12:29:12 pm

Hi

I was very upset when they took this out as well.
I used to have my After Effects set up on the virtual desktop, giving me more space on my actual desktop for the application. Now I have to have preview on as well which slows the application down.

The colour profile WAS valid as it was made calibrating the YUV output on the screen.

But I think there were very good reasons why they took it out, maybe to do with speed and accuracy so can't complain really.

You can use the spyder 3 with Calman or Chromapure software software to calibrate your video monitor very well indeed, probably more accurately than most broadcast monitors to be honest.

I think the DIY license allows you to use the Spyder 3 and a Blu Ray Downloadable from here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496&highlight=avs+709

this really only calibrates the blu-ray output though, hmmmm

VLC will play these files but can't make it use the decklink.... which is your problem anyway.

Am trying to find a way to get test generators to play out of the decklink though.

I may have to build a PSD with the right image files in. Am trying to make sure I make correct files.

Unless There is a low level raw .yuv play out to decklink option.
maybe Shake?

Word of warning though.
I don't think the Spyder's are particularly accurate, and not checked at factory.
You can send it to Spectracal to get a better profile for it, but may not be worth it.

Tris

Tris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]