FORUMS: list search recent posts

UltraScope Wish List Thread

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Harley
UltraScope Wish List Thread
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:03:21 am

As you can see in my Portable SFF thread -- I love this product.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/871922

I just thought I'd create separate a thread to capture the features that users would like to see in future software upgrades.

I'll start it off:

1. 29.97pSF Support - This is absolutely essential. I don't know why this was left out -- but please put this in the next release
2. Error Detection and Error Logging - Self Explanatory
3. VITC Waveform Display - Self Explanatory
4. Scalable Computer Screen Display - for smaller monitors
5. Ability to Select Parade and Vectorscope Only - eliminate clutter and visual contention during Color Correct sessions

Return to posts index

Steve Harley
Re: UltraScope Wish List Thread
on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:56:02 am

One more...

6. It would be nice to see the full graticule on the Vectorscope

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:20:16 pm

great thread !

Well, I need this -

Scalable Computer Screen Display - for smaller monitors

Ability to Select Parade and Vectorscope Only

and I would love to get rid of the "composite" display, and substitute an analog vertical interval display so I could see what is going on, in the vertical interval (gee, is my close captioning being recorded, or is it being replaced).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Sep 4, 2009 at 3:59:22 am

Scalable for smaller displays, yes, this is a given.

Single and multiple choices of scopes and layouts.

YRGB Parade waveform
YCrCb Parade waveform
Composite waveform with LP filter
Waveform cursors

Dare I ask for SDI eye pattern?

75%/100% bars selectivity with variable trace magnification in the Vectorscope.

I and Q lines might be nice.

Graticule and trace customization.

There's a start.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 6, 2009 at 4:38:26 pm

You are asking for features that won't be used by most people - now I'm just an end user too, but this is my opinion -

YRGB Parade waveform - REPLY - not a wide enough audience for this

YCrCb Parade waveform - REPLY - you have this right now

Composite waveform with LP filter -
REPLY - well, they give you a "composite" display for the knuckleheads that refused to get used to parade display on conventional hi end scopes (where users get rid of YPbPr and just look at Y) - but not even hi end Tek, Leader, or Harris scopes give you a true COMPOSITE display where you can "downconvert" to see lo pass, H+V interval, and expanded analog mode to see info in the vertical interval. Nice dream, but not even Tek gives this to you.

Waveform cursors
REPLY - not going to happen. I have only used cursors to measure blanking timing, and this is an SDI scope that does not downconvert ? You want the cursors to identify what line an error is occuring in ?

Dare I ask for SDI eye pattern?
REPLY - only for a true piece of test equipment. People like me (techs) are the only people that will use eye pattern to see if there are problems with the cable, or the signal is falling apart. An editor, or color corrector, or graphics person will NEVER use eye pattern, so this will probably never be a feature on a "low end" scope like this.

75%/100% bars selectivity with variable trace magnification in the Vectorscope.
REPLY - boy would I like this, but again, 100% PbPr is rarely used and trace magnification would be used more by video shaders and techs, than editors

I and Q lines might be nice.
REPLY -yes this would be nice.

Graticule and trace customization
REPLY - dream on .

You know very well, all these features are for $12,000 scopes, and not even $7000 scopes (or $660 scopes). And you forgot to mention error logging software add-in.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Sep 7, 2009 at 4:19:55 pm

This is a "Wish" list, Bob and I am a freelance video shader working 25 camera to 3 camera shows (you watch multi-camera tv and you've probably seen some of my shows) and some low-budget post production color work, so that is where my reference lies.

I'd love a Leader 5700 or Tek WFM7000 of my own but that's out of my personal business model so I'm thinking this product could be useful for low budget location, multi-camera applications with a small form factor pc.

You bet I could use an eye pattern to identify dodgy cables or terminations; a cable checker is only going to show me continuity.

I use waveform cursors on every job as it's a very fast, useful way to know where I want the luma levels of something like, oh, say a pitcher's mound, to fall on every camera shot that may have the mound in their shot. Flip through a router fast to check my shots and the cursors make my job a tad easier. Even on a location job with a little Kramer 4x router, cursors on the waveform would be very nice.

Anyone who thinks they are or want to be a colorist needs to learn YRGB parade. LCD traces of vectorscopes, even Tek products, leave a lot of ambiguity at the origin. Harris scopes and rasterizers are the worst offenders. YRGB parade is a quick and accurate way to balance black levels as well as identify any r,g,b clipping. You could say that this capability is already there with the waveform and RGB parade but I'm also envisioning a simple 2 scope layout; YRGB and vectorscope.

Changing colors or intensities of the graticule or trace, would that be such a hard feature to implement?

Again, just a wish list and I'm sure I can think of more irrational wishes, like licensing Tek's diamond trace and keeping the price point as is.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:44:02 am

I am looking very closely at the Ultrascope. Just off the top of my head... I'd love to see:

The ability to select which screens to display. I like to have 4 views on my screen (and thus they are a little bit bigger). I don't need 6 displays active at the same time.

I'd love to be able to zoom into the vectorscope (can we do this?). That doesn't seem too difficult and would make it a lot easier to see the detail.

I would love to see some alarms on this scope system. Or at least a readout that shows the current values for the currently displayed video signal.

These additions would make this product very very tempting. (I didn't see a place where I could send these comments directly to Blackmagic)

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

kujtim ereqi
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:27:56 pm

Yes.. These would be nice:
Ability to Select Parade and Vectorscope Only.
I and Q lines.
Full graticule on the Vectorscope.
Vectorscope Magnify.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]