FORUMS: list search recent posts

no extended desktop?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Molina
no extended desktop?
on Sep 2, 2009 at 5:12:01 pm

There is no longer extended desktop in new snow leopard drivers. This was really a cool feature that is
no longer available. I hope this becomes available in the next version.

Return to posts index

Sandy Imhoff
Re: no extended desktop?
on Sep 3, 2009 at 10:06:05 pm

I'm really disappointed about that too.I really like that feature and I don't think that I would have upgraded to the 7.2.6 driver and Snow Leopard if I knew that. I heard that the extended desktop will no longer be a feature in any of the future drivers.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:42:57 pm

I'm assuming - and hoping - this is a result of fixing the ongoing nvidia/Open GL/Quicktime issue where the second monitor (not the NTSC or playback monitor) becomes corrupted. I've been unable to use my Multibridge Pro for what is going on two years because of this issue. I'll be more than happy to give up the extended desktop for a functioning capture device.

Primary System Info -
Mac Pro 2x3.2 Quadcore - 10.5.6 - QT 7.5.5 - 14 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro (Junk)- Open GL 1.5.9 - Wacom Intous2 tablet

Return to posts index

Tristan Summers
on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:33:28 pm

I too miss it. I wish I had been made aware of it before upgrading and would like an explanation of the reasons behind it. However I am finding I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.
Mind you I could have a seperate software Spyder colour calibration for the extended desktop to check on...

Return to posts index

Simon Murphy
on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:08:14 am

I was given the response below as to why it has been removed.
I'm disappointed as we used it everyday. We already use both DVID outputs on our Mac Pro's and were using the Extended Desktop on a LCD tv.

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, with the latest driver update we have
removed the extended desktop feature. In a nut shell it was not supported in
other O.S. Like Vista and Windows 7. On the Mac side there are now less
expensive and better solutions like dual DVID outputs. That is why the
extended desktop feature has been removed.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:34:21 am

Hi Simon,

There are numerous reasons why we've removed the extended desktop feature. The main reason is that Apple Color checks each desktop it detects for OpenGL compatibility and because the extended desktop output is not OpenGL, Color fails to launch.

Also, like what Will Salley has mentioned, the way the OS enumerates the displays may sometimes cause issues which are undesirable and beyond our control.

Extended desktop was first conceived many years ago so that users can have proper TV colorspace output from Photoshop and After Effects by dragging the canvases across to the "tv screen". However, we now have proper plugins so that users can output directly from Photoshop and After Effects so the desktop feature is no longer used much.

However, do keep the feedback coming about this and I'm certainly happy to see if there's anything we can do or recommend.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Oct 29, 2009 at 7:40:23 pm

Here's more feedback,

Fire the person responible.

Never Never Never remove a feature.

I have used this feature on my G5 with an Aja card and enjoyed having it with the Intensity Pro on my Mac Pro. Although I have not used it since upgrading to Snow Leopard, I had a reason to use it this morning and now I cannot. I have a Sony professional HD CRT monitor and thus no HDMI to use to feed the MacPro desktop to the CRT unless I want to buy an additional adapter of some sort. Perhaps let us ATI users have the feature?

Not happy at all and the situation adds negatively to my already low opinion of the Intensity Pro and Blackmagic.

Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Oliver Petz
on Jan 12, 2010 at 2:49:28 pm

after the last years i can told you black-magic-guys your drivers driving me crazy! so many bug all over the time ( example: unable to use blackmagic decklink extreme3 with 3 montitors ) it is pain in the a.. to work with this buggy drivers.
for that reason i changed to avid. but there was one good feature on your cards that works also properly: EXTENDED DESKTOP.

AND NOW YOU KILL THE EXTENDED DESKTOP FEATURE?

this was one of the main features for me to buy a decklinkcard again.
for two months i buyed the decklink extreme3 because my old decklink does not run anymore under X64BIt with 8GB Ram. and now you kill this feature extended desktop! i use this function every for example with cinema4d.
in cinema i have a live "pal-preview" and can see how it looks like on television. this is perfect for testrenderings.

or if you play any videostuff with a mediaplayer. i dont have to start everytime premiere or after effects. just drop the player to the extended decktop.perfect.

now i payed a lot of money for your card and one of the important features is killed.

this is unbeleaveble. you cards are a nighmare for me, the drivers are so bad for years, many bug has been never fixed and so on.this was definately the last time i bought "professional equiment" from blackmagic-design

sorry for my lousy english

Decklink Extreme (PCI-X)
Sony Digibeta DVW-A500P and DVWA510P
Matrox Pahrehlia PCI-Express( Three Monitors)
ASUS P5WDG2 WS Professional
4GB RAM
QX 6850 quadcore extreme
Xp Prof. 32-BIT service pack 2 with
all patches and updates
Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium CS3 with all patches and updates

Return to posts index

Hugues Ménétrier
on Jan 19, 2010 at 10:50:12 pm

I totally agree with people who have lost their key feature.
It is a shame ! Because of this f.... Color, I do not believe it. I just bought a 900 € video card and they tell me after buying "We have removed Extended desktop, you know, it's an old feature, no one uses it anymore", and all this b....s... !!!
I'm feeling like a guy to whom surgeons have cut the left hand, saying that they noticed I used it less than the right one.
Let me decide by myself how I use hardware and what is important for me !

I use more this feature than the others, even if I use it as an acquisition card too. My work is live events, and I work quite exclusively with softwares which are NOT FCP, NOT AE, and nothing to do with V-Out component ... You kill a large part of my job with one shot, good shot. I could output a lot of signals, from PAL to HD, instead of VGA or DVI, and it was great.

I add ;
if I knew that Extended feature has been removed,
I would NEVER NEVER NEVER buy an Decklink HD Extreme 3.

PLEASE GIVE US OUR FEATURE BACK !

Hugues Ménétrier, an old and angry user, and poor english writer.

Return to posts index

max howarth
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:56:42 am

i understand that there is an (obvious) need to move forward with a product but i think this situation could be very simply resolved: restore the option in the decklink preference pane to switch extended desktop on or off.

if a user switched it on they would get a pop up warning (dismissable with no repeat warnings if preferred) that apps like color won't start up correctly with it activated.

best wishes
max

_______
http://www.redfacilities.com

Return to posts index

Rich Morrant
on Feb 17, 2010 at 12:29:19 pm

Kristian, you invited us to "keep the feedback coming about this and I'm certainly happy to see if there's anything we can do or recommend. "

Care to step up and reply with "anything we can do or recommend"?

maybe give us access to the old version of the software?

Return to posts index

Rich Morrant
on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:26:33 am

I have had a win!

try this link to the older versions for Mac (Linux and Windows)
http://blackmagic-design.com/support/software/archive/?series=decklink&cate...

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Feb 27, 2010 at 10:09:31 am

So I looked into this some more. The AJA Kona LHi has no issue with using the extended desktop feature with Snow Leopard. This means the reason you state for why the feature was removed for Snow Leopard has no bearing. It would be great if you brought the feature back very soon. Otherwise it looks like I will need to sell my Multibridge Pro 2 and buy a Kona LHi. And then I will question buying future BMD products in the future because of the risk of suddenly losing features I paid for.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Feb 14, 2010 at 3:13:29 am

I'm very disappointed this feature is gone as well. I have a dual 30" display and was using the Multibridge Pro 2 to give me a third display on a plasma. Who cares about the Color issue. The simple fix for me was to turn off the Extended Desktop and restart, then load Color, do my thing, then go back to Extended Desktop. Looks like I'll have to find different hardware now. Goodbye BMD.

Return to posts index

Konrad Welz
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:05:04 pm

Call me oldschool but I use Shake a lot. I had a SD Decklink Extreme connected to a Sony BVM via SDI which was happily recognised as my 3rd extended desktop and worked brilliantly with Shake. Installed Decklink HD Extreme 3 and suddenly it's impossible to work with Shake £$%@£!! Now I have to sacrifice one of my cinema displays to preview instead of using as workspace. Not happy. As someone else said - bring it back and give users the option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]