FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended CPU's for Ultrascope

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Hodges
Recommended CPU's for Ultrascope
on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:02:48 pm

Okay just so we can get this info in one spot without having to scour through all the Ultrascope forums. Can Blackmagic or any satisfied customers give us the skinny on what computers you are using to run Ultrascope. It makes my eyes gloss over (and I'm sure others feel the same way) at the prospect of trying to find a computer based strictly on motherboard and processor specs. From what I've gathered from Bob Zelin's posts, the graphics card is the real cog in the wheel here. Get one that's not recommended by Black Magic and it plain won't work. So assuming we get the right card, which computers should we be looking at. And really, what is the most bare bones cheap computer that we can expect to run this software and run it well?

Thanks

Return to posts index

nick hasson
Re: Recommended CPU's for Ultrascope
on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:52:20 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/871654

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:41:45 am

Hi Brian,
I went to Nick's response to you, and I was shocked to see my post, which does not answer your question. And guess what - I can't answer your question (and I have the same question).

The systems I have used to do Ultrascopes so far are "left over" expensive HP workstations that were part of old AVID edit systems. Computers that cost thousands of dollars, and are no longer in service, and were available to be used for the Ultrascope.

But this is not what I would buy. And I am certainly not going to spend thousands on a HP xw8600 to run an Ultrascope.

I would have said that the HP XW4600 would be a great inexpensive choice, but HP has discontinued this model, and there are a few left on internet web sales places for about $700. And don't forget, you are NOT going to find this PC (or any other PC) with the right graphics card. No matter what, you are going to pick from this list that Blackmagic has given you, put it into google, and find the cheapest place you can buy one of these graphics cards (like the ATI 4670 for about $100 bucks). But you say "look, I just want to order a damn computer, I don't want a whole project here" - well tough noogies - you buy a computer, and you buy a graphics card, and load its drivers, or NO GAME.

So I still have not answered your question. I don't know the cheapest computer that you can use. But there is no question that the HP workstation series is the best PC for our industry (as everyone from AVID to AJA to Blackmagic to Adobe to everyone else always uses HP workstations), and the cheapest HP workstation is the Z400 (which sadly is about $900 - now add your graphics card and the Ultrascope).

Isn't there a cheaper way? - but I like HP free 3 year support, and I know that their products are rock solid, and they don't b#$%s#$% their customers with excuses (at least the professional workstation division doesn't). To me, at this moment, this is the best investment. But I will be happy to hear when someone on this forum says "hey, I just bought an Acer XYZ123, and it works great with the Ultrascope".

With all of my rambling in this post, I have not personally put an Ultrascope in a HP Z400.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:54:28 am

Hi.

I probably will buy local producers machine where it is used a BM listed motherboard and graphics and it costs about 600 but support is on users own shoulders as far it goes to ultrascope. I have not made my own calculations if i will buy stuff separately will it be cheaper ? Probably but still no support :)

Generally my point is if you are not willing to play with you support needs so to say then go with brand.

Graphics card is easy to change i think if you find machine with listed motherboard then you probably can ask your computer store to change this with the one that BM lists.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Brian Hodges
on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:00:10 pm

Hey Bob,

Oh I know I'll have to buy the graphics card separately. I just didn't want to have to put together a computer piecemeal by motherboard, processor, etc.

I had gone through that thread Nick linked to prior to posting this, but there's a lot of extra info on there. Not to mention, as you said, a lot of the computers mentined aren't ones you can buy anymore. You just have to wait for the facility to upgrade all their Avids.

I was also just hoping to centralize the info on this one because I imagine others have this exact same question/dilemma.

Thanks for the info though. I'll see if these guys want to pony up for a Z400.

-Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]