FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with deck link HD extreme and HDMI connection

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dovev Shoshan
Problems with deck link HD extreme and HDMI connection
on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:13:12 pm

Hello,
I have a mac pro ('08) and I installed the new Deck Link HD extreme, I connected a TV monitor (Sony Bravia) with HDMI cable.
The video output I get from the FCP is all wrong. I get blue shades instead of red and red shades instead of blue (all people looks like smurfes).
when I connect a aux device (DVD) with composite (RCA) it looks fine.
Both the TV and the Deck link are new and working fine.
Are there any setting that I missed?

If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Dovev Shoshan

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
Re: Problems with deck link HD extreme and HDMI connection
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:40:14 pm

What format/fps are you editing, and what video output setting are you using? Could it be an RGB/YUV issue?

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:31:57 pm

I have this same issue and BMD is basically sitting on the support request. One email a week seems to be all they can muster.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:56:23 pm

Have you tried reinstalling the software/firmware? Maybe even a PRAM reset on the computer?

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:03:04 pm

PRAM? No, I'm using a PC and have never updated PRAM. I'm using the newest firmware and drivers. I've also reproduced the problem with rollbacks of drivers and firmware. BMD has also reproduced the issue, but seem to be unable to tell me what it is.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:07:57 pm

Ah....sorry, I thought you were on a Mac. Sounds like a bug that has to worked out on their end.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:22:34 pm

Yeah, it seems as though with an example of it on a mac and on a PC now it's solidly in BMD's court. I'm hoping they will come through on this one.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Dovev Shoshan
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:02:55 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the response, I had a little progress with the problem, I have reinstalled the driver twice (!) and it didn't help, I connected the HDMI cable directly to the card instead of using the extension, didn't help either... finally I pulled out the card and installed it on a different PCIe slot, and then I got true colors on my desktop display (what the BM refers to as the third monitor.
However, the FCP sequence still give me the wrong colors on the sequence.
I tested a number of sequences
1. A HD sequence - I could only get still image but during play all I got on the monitor is the last frame that I paused on.
2. A PAL sequence that played in the monitor with the timeline but with wrong colors.
3. A HD sequence 1920 X 1080i 29.97 FPS (From the FCP book!) and the monitor didn’t show it at all.
In the seq that showed the image, the quality was bad, it shows thin horizontal lines like field, but the footage was progressive

Remainder, I am working on a Mac Pro Xeon with 10GB of RAM on a FCP 2

Thanks again... any solution it would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:27:31 pm

If you look farther down this forum page, you could see a discussion about the Multibridge and an issue that it seems to be having with some NVidia graphics cards. Maybe this is related somehow to that.

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 26, 2009 at 12:45:59 am

Sorry....I meant in the Apple Color forum. Even though you're not using Color...or even Apple...maybe it's a graphics card issue or something.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:59:26 pm

Thanks, Ray,

My thoughts are that a small run of the hardware is faulty. I bought a brand new card design from them the day it was available. It's quite possible and quite normal for a new production run.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Dovev Shoshan
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:28:57 pm

Thanks Tracy ,
I think it is possible, I will try to replace the unit I have with a new one.
I will update if there is a change.
About the nVidia compatibility issue, I doubt that it's the reason, considering Apple's tech specs includes the nVidia cards on the Mac, I find it hard to believe that BMD didn't test it first although I can’t reject anything out at this point….

Dovev

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:22:03 pm

If you look in this thread....

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/871737#871737

It seems that some problems with the Multibridge monitor out while using Color might be narrowed down to something to do with nVidia cards. Still may have nothing to do with your issues, but it may be worth keeping an eye on.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Sep 2, 2009 at 5:07:30 am

Dovev,

Please do let me know. BMD is basically telling me it's my problem not theirs, so I'd love to hear if you experience a change in the situation by swapping cards. I'm trying to get another card asap so I can prove one way or the other, I really am not trying to point fingers I just want what I paid for to work. It would help my case too to know anything that you find out from this.

Thanks!

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Dovev Shoshan
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:27:13 am

Hi Tracy,
Mo problem, I will let you know, since last time I posted, I have made some progress, my BMD card plays all sequences (via HDMI output) only in the following settings: HDTV 1920 x 1080i 25Hz 8 bit. in any other setting the display is very wrong. either the colors are wrong or the display is distorted. I will try to post some pictures that shows part of the problem.
if I'm not mistaken, an 8 bit PAL sequence should show fine with a video out settings that are: Blackmagic PAL 8 bit. (The Footage is PAL and the FCP project is in PAL as well). Am I wrong?

I will order a new nvidea card for my mac, it will take some time. do you have a recommended one?

Dovev

Return to posts index

Dovev Shoshan
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:49:45 am

Hi,
I am posting some pictures that shows my problems that i have posted before:
1. the FCP print screen that shows the original project.

2. the picture of the output in BM PAL 8 bit video setting notice the change in the colors (blue is red and red is blue).

3. A picture of the monitor while on pause when the video setting is on BM HDTV 1920x1080i 25Hz (the project is in PAL)
when in play the clips play in the correct size but not in a good quality.

I hope the pictures turned out fine.

Dovev

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:08:56 pm

I'll add some pics as well, I think the color issue is the exact same issue. Try an ATi card, I have an nVIDIA card and I think that it's a better test if you can manage it. Is there an onboard card for macs? Can you just pull the nvidia and test without the accelerated graphics?

Pictures attached:

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:10:20 pm

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:11:23 pm

I also want to repeat that this problem occurs on BOTH connections, HDMI and Component. Please check that component NTSC or PAL still causes color swap.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Dovev Shoshan
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:33:45 pm

Hi Tracy,
Yap, looks like the same problem, I ordered today a new nVidia card from the 9x series (as recommended by BDM, if that doesn’t work, I will try the ATI cards although I don’t like theme as much as the nVidia cards.
Unfortunately there is no on board card, but I have a PC with ATI card, I will try the BMD on it.
I will also try the component connection.
Did you try setting your video settings on HDTV 1920x1080i 8 bit?

Dovev

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:47:31 pm

I did in after effects, it upscaled the image and showed it in the correct aspect. The color was still wrong, however.

I'd love to hear what happens when you move the card to the PC. In fact, i'd try that first, to eliminate the card as the problem. If the problem still occurs in the PC, then you already know you don't have to buy another video card.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Dovev Shoshan
on Sep 13, 2009 at 12:38:14 pm

Hi Tracy,

I intalled the new driver (7.3.0)Firmware update from BMD, and now it works fine!
Try it and let me know.

Dovev

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]