FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting AVI's captured with a PC/Blackmagic Design codec to play in FCP

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracy Dethlefs
Getting AVI's captured with a PC/Blackmagic Design codec to play in FCP
on Aug 22, 2009 at 11:43:54 pm

I've received some AVI files that were captured on a PC in Premiere with a Blackmagic Intensity card. I am trying to play/edit them in Final Cut Pro. I've looked on the Blackmagic site for drivers/codecs and have tried downloading and installing a few versions for different cards, but nothing makes the AVI's playable. Any suggestions for how to get some cross-platform love going between my Mac and the PC, AVI to Quicktime? Can't we all just get along?!? ;) Thanks in advance for any help, folks.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
Re: Getting AVI's captured with a PC/Blackmagic Design codec to play in FCP
on Aug 23, 2009 at 1:11:12 am

There's some dark voodoo here. In order to do this, you need to open up the video files in a hex editor and change some of the header information from lower case to capitals etc. There may be a tutorial on it around if you search, I no longer have that email available.

While it is possible, I found that the final cut pro machine didn't play back the footage very well, thought that may have changed in later revisions.

Why BMD doesn't have a codec that is transportable is beyond me.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Aug 23, 2009 at 7:00:54 am

Hi.

I make 444 on PC and it works on fcp.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Aug 23, 2009 at 4:35:07 pm

After many mails regarding this, the support people from Blackmagic sent me an utility called FourCC Changer, which lets your 8-bit PC-captured AVIs to be "seen" on the Mac. If you capture in 10-bits, the problem would no longer exist. Tha utility screwed up a couple of times (they recommend to work on a copy of the video)but basically works. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Tracy Dethlefs
on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:12:10 am

Thanks everyone for the input and I think it is clear that I need to edit the metadata of the AVI's, ideally with the 4CC Code Changer app, but this appears to only be a PC app. Does anyone know how to convert the AVI's once you have them in the Mac world? This really seems to be a flaw in the workflow as I am sure I am not the only person who works with clients across platforms? At any rate, I really appreciate the responses and help on this. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:08:33 am

Hi.

What i do on mac is i open this avi on QT pro and do "save as".
After that i have mov that plays out no problem.

Test it maybe it would work for you also.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]