FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro: Problem Capturing VHS Analog

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Cavaseno
Intensity Pro: Problem Capturing VHS Analog
on Aug 20, 2009 at 7:39:28 pm

When I capture from VHS, I very often get black areas, where there is no video or audio. The source tapes may have drop outs at these points, but they normally play through. I just built the computer and it captures DV video fine. What is the problem with the Intensity Pro device and how can it be fixed?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Intensity Pro: Problem Capturing VHS Analog
on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:03:29 pm

Hi.

What i have experienced with vhs that they do not keep picture in sync so to say and if it jumps, has break on it etc then all the pro kind capture cards go mad. I have solved this pretty eazy capturing from Sony small DV camera in such way that i have connected VHS output to DV cameras analogue input and on pass trough mode sent all the picture then to computer as DV. Never had sync or jumping problem this way.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Stephen Cavaseno
on Aug 21, 2009 at 2:05:03 pm

Interesting, but I want the video processed as little as possible. Is there a fix for the Intensity Pro?

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Aug 21, 2009 at 6:59:29 pm

[Stephen Cavaseno] "but I want the video processed as little as possible."
Using a camcorder with pass-through to digitize is basically the same as digitizing through a Intensity Pro, in both cases you end up with video you can edit in a computer, to use the Intensity you should use a Time Base Corrector or a pro VHS/SVHS playback deck that has a TBC built in, Pro TBCs can be expensive, you can also use cheaper devices like a Sima CT2 GoDVD, or a Sima SCC color corrector, both will restore sync, problem is these aren't sold on the open market anymore except for auction sites like Ebay or you can use a DV camcorder with pass-through like Margus mentioned

Return to posts index

Stephen Cavaseno
on Aug 21, 2009 at 7:09:24 pm

None of my camcorders have an analog input. The VHS deck I use to play back the VHS tapes has a built-in TBC. When I capture VHS using my old Canopus DV Storm card I do not have this problem. I only have the problem with the Intensity Pro.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 21, 2009 at 11:21:11 pm

your VHS VCR does not have a TBC, unless its a $5000 Sony SVO-5800.
The JVC VCR's that said that they had "build in TBC's" were not time base correctors. If you observe the output of a JVC VHS VCR on a waveform monitor, you get a very unstable sync signal, which cannot be used by ANY professional product from AJA, Blackmagic, MOTU, or Matrox. If you use inexpensive consumer equipment, these will process the horrible little signals put out by things like VHS machines. Professionals will purchase the right equipment to replace the sync inverval of poor sources like VHS and 3/4" VCR.

Blackmagic does not need to fix ANYTHING. You will find that if you take a VHS machine and stick it into any digital capture device or converter from ANY professional manufacturer (including Miranda, Cobalt Digital, Leitch, and others), it will NOT LOCK UP unless you go into a frame synchronizer to replace the unstable sync signal coming out of your VHS machine.

This is not elementary school. Professional buy the right equipment.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Stephen Cavaseno
on Aug 21, 2009 at 11:57:52 pm

If this were elementary school I would correct the numerous grammatical mistakes you made in your reply. But I'm here to resolve an issue, not ridicule others. And once again, my old Canopus DVStorm has no problem capturing the video from my VHS sources.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Aug 22, 2009 at 6:21:03 am

This is why i pointed to analogue in camera pass as it is relatively simplest and cheapest option just find a friend with such camera and borrow it.

I see why Bob is critical in this matter. Yes there is nothing wrong with your Intensity. Maybe this DV storm was a bit lower in its standards and survived jumpy signal. This does not mean all systems have to work like that specially if they are manufactured according to pro level standards.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 22, 2009 at 5:38:16 pm

http://shop.ebay.com/items/datavideo+tbc+1000?_dmd=1&_sop=15

This is the Datavideo TBC-1000. It will frame sync the VHS machine you own, and allow it to go into your Blackmagic card. It's $185 on ebay. You have 5 days to buy it. I suggest that you do this.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sonny Malone
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:50:16 pm

I have the same problem and it seems to happen when the audio from the VHS tape is not that good. When the audio cuts out the video goes black (drops frames). The video also goes black if you disconnect the audio all together. It will not display any video without the audio cables plugged in. I thought this was kinda weird. I put in a different tape with excellent stereo audio and it worked fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]