FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Video-Out with Apple Color 1.5

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurro Gonzalez
No Video-Out with Apple Color 1.5
on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:45:18 pm

Hi everybody. I've got a problem with a Multibridge Pro 2. The thing is that I've been using Apple Color since it appeared on FCS 2. It worked perfectly and I could check the results of my color corrections on a broadcast HD monitor trough the Multibridge Pro. But recently I have updated to FCS 3, and with the new version of Apple Color (1.5) I can't see anything on my broadcast monitor. But it happens just with Color. The rest of the programs of FCS work perfectly, I mean that I get video signal through Final Cut Pro, Soundtract… but not with Color 1.5

Apple supporter told me that I had to update my Multibridge driver to 7.2 version, and so I did. But nothing changed. I've checked my settings out… well, I've done everything that I could imagine, but I'm still dealing with the problem.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you very much.

http://www.tyrisfilms.com

Return to posts index

Tal Rom
Re: No Video-Out with Apple Color 1.5
on Aug 17, 2009 at 3:14:18 pm

If you updated the Multibridge Pro Driver, check if the control panel in the system preferences is not set to "extended desktop"
it should set to "Black"

Tal Rom

PrePost
Production & Post Workflow Solution

Israel

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 17, 2009 at 5:04:23 pm

Agreed...in the 'Decklink' section of System Preferences, choose "black' instead of 'extended desktop', if it is set to the former. You'll have to restart after changing the setup. Color 1.5 works fine with my Multibridge Pro 2 monitoring out.

Return to posts index

Kurro Gonzalez
on Aug 18, 2009 at 7:49:55 am

Hi. I already set the system prefrences on 'black', I forgot to tell you. That was the recomendation that I read on the Bkackmagic website. I also switched off all my devices and the computer and switched them on again, but still without any result. This is turning me mad, because, as I said, I can get video out on Final Cut, but not on Color. Any sugestions (appart from cutting my veins)?

Return to posts index

Kurro Gonzalez
on Aug 18, 2009 at 1:37:23 pm

I have also checked out the rest of the software I have installed on my computer, and there's no problem with none of theme: Motion, Soundtrack Pro, After Efects… every one of them allows me to watch the video output signal through the Multibridge Pro 2.

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:35:25 pm

Might have to do a reinstall of FCS or the like. Don't know what it could, sorry. I guess I was lucky in that it started right up for me.

When I installed my FCS studio upgrade, (after cloning my original hard drive) I first uninstalled all Blackmagic Software, then did the FCS upgrade install, then reinstalled the Blackmagic software/firmware. Maybe something about that order of things helped on my end.

Return to posts index

Kurro Gonzalez
on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:15:22 pm

That's it!! You were right: It was the graphic card. I had an NVIDIA 7300. I have updated to ATI Radeon X1900XT and… eureka!! Video-Out with Color 1.5.

Thanks to everybody.

Return to posts index

Michael Lovelady
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:19:23 pm

I'm having the exact same problem... video out works fine in FCP 7 but no video out in Color 1.5 (although the application seems to work fine otherwise)... Also, related but aside, we've got an MXO color box on this machine as well, which seems to have been disabled too. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Mike

---
R. Michael Lovelady
Central Planning, LLC
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:45:16 am

Hi guys,

Please make sure you disable the video desktop feature,i.e. set it to "Black" and restart your computer. See if that helps.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Michael Lovelady
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:41:09 pm

Yep, extended desktop is off (e.g. Color will launch just fine) but no video out is possible. Just continues to send black, even though video out works fine in FCP7. Sounds like this is a deeper issue with Color itself or it could be a very specific hardware driver issue as it only seems to effect some machines. Here's another thread on the same topic:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10012452

It's interesting to note that one poster installed FCS3 on 6 work stations, and had this problem effect 3 while the other 3 were fine. Our workstations have both Multibridges and MXO boxes (MXO is dead as well in Color, but works under FCP7) not sure what video out hardware is on other effected machines.

---
R. Michael Lovelady
Central Planning, LLC
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Aug 20, 2009 at 12:06:23 am

What kind of Mac Pros are you running?

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Kurro Gonzalez
on Aug 20, 2009 at 8:54:44 am

Mine is 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon.
I have spoken to Apple's supportters and they told me, after doing every kind of test, that their technicians were going to study the problem, 'cos they can't see what's the problem. In fact they don't have any idea of were can lay the problen, for it should work on any mac based on intel processor.

Return to posts index

Michael Lovelady
on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:51:51 pm

I installed into another one of our suites last night to see if I'd be able to get video out on a different machine and it worked fine?!?!?! Super weird. So... No video out in Color 1.5 with:

Late 2007 2 x 3.0 GHz Quad Core- 8 Gigs Ram Running 10.5.7 / Multibridge 2

But works fine with:

Late 2008 x 2.8 GHz Quad Core - 18 Gigs Ram Running 10.5.7 / Multibridge 2

Thanks for the help, this is really a head scratcher.

Mike

---
R. Michael Lovelady
Central Planning, LLC
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:12:58 am

Interesting. Color does have some dependencies on the graphics card installed. What graphics card do you guys have in your working and non-working systems? Maybe there's some commonality there.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Kurro Gonzalez
on Aug 21, 2009 at 8:25:58 am

I got NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. I read on a post that this may be the problem.

Return to posts index

Mohamed Kamel
on Aug 21, 2009 at 10:35:08 pm

Yea im having the same problem on 2 mac pros, both with a Nvidia Gforce 7300 GT!! but the 3rd machine has a quadro and its running fine.

Return to posts index

Michael Lovelady
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:27:11 pm

The card in our machine that's not working is the nVidia Quadro FX 4500. Think I'm seeing an nVidia pattern here...

---
R. Michael Lovelady
Central Planning, LLC
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:48:05 pm

Boy....I guess I got lucky!

I'm running:
2x3GHz Dual Intel, 12GB RAM, ATI RADEON 3870 Graphics Card. That's a big issue if it's the card.

Return to posts index

Kurro Gonzalez
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:27:21 am

Does anybody know if Color works with this graphic card?

ATI Radeon HD 4870

Has anybody tested it?

Return to posts index

Mohamed Kamel
on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:05:10 am

I think color is not so friendly with nvidia, so any ATI card will work just fine...also with color if your using a nvidia card, your limited to working with either 8 or floating point internal pixel format. 12 and 16 are always greyed out.

Hey Ray Chung, how are you running a mac with ATI RADEON 3870 Graphics Card? or did you mean 4870?

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:03:27 pm

I'm in the same boat (no video out with Color 1.5 on my Mac Pro 2.66, with the stock NVIDIA 7300 graphics card) and wondering if there was any resolution to this matter. It's behaving exactly the same for me as described here - video out only appears when applying a vignette or during rendering.
I've tried drivers 6.5 and 7, both NDD and standard.
Thanks!
Bob Pierce

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Stefan Kropp
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:43:21 pm

Same problem here!
Late 2007 2 x 3.0 GHz Quad Core- 9 Gigs Ram Running 10.5.7, Decklink HD. I am wondering if Apple is working on the problem or if we are stuck with this?! I also tried to talk to apple support but they didn´t get it. They told me that I need the nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB?!
Is anybody running the nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB with success? This was an upgrade option some days ago.

zwockel>>

Return to posts index

Kurro Gonzalez
on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:10:06 pm

Hi Stefan. I've already solved the problem by updating my graphic card. I have installed ATI Radeon XT1900 and everything runs fine. Hope this will help you.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 25, 2009 at 12:02:03 am

Hi guys,

There seems to be a pattern here with the Nvidia 7300 and we've notified Apple about this. I'll update this thread if there's any more information.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Stefan Kropp
on Sep 25, 2009 at 9:34:23 am

Thank´s for the info Kristian.
Good to know they care about it.
By the way I tried the nvidia 8800GT today and have no issues with that card. Problem solved for about 220$.

zwockel>>

Return to posts index

Bill Wilson
on Dec 3, 2009 at 6:57:24 am

Add me to the list. Same problem with no video out using Color 1.5. I am using BlackMagic DeckLink HD Extreme. Worked fine until the FCS3 upgrade. I have the latest DeckLink software installed. This little problem is really backing up my edit log. Any resolution found by anyone?

Bill Wilson
SunDolphin Productions
Birmingham, Alabama

Return to posts index

Stefan Kropp
on Dec 3, 2009 at 9:49:35 am

Yes, I bought myself a new Graphic card, the Nvidia Gforce 8800 GT (Upgrade Kit) and the problem was gone. I payed about 250$ for a Graphic card I never would have needed?!
It´s a shame, that there is no support or help from apple or anybody else. This is why I prefer Avid (for editing only of course). The support is just great.

Return to posts index

Bill Wilson
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:02:59 pm

Stefan, et. al.,
I just spent over an hour online with Apple Support regarding this issue. I went through all the obligatory "tests". The resulting conclusion by Apple: It is a driver problem with the DeckLink product and I should call them (which I did first, by the way). Never mind that the problem exists regardless of whether it,s DeckLink, Kona, etc., or all the posts from users in Apple's own form with the same problem / different I/O device, or the fact that everything worked perfectly until upgrading to Color 1.5. The tech would see no other option other than the DeckLink driver option. Furthermore, the Apple tech would not suggest a card to use that Apple would support. They only support the cards installed in the machine at purchase...which doesn't work...and they say isn't the problem. Purchasing a new graphics cards for my edit stations seem to be the only (expensive) answer according to the good folks on these forums, but then I have a system configuration that will not be supported by Apple (I am in the apple care program) according to the tech. The general public can not purchase the graphics cards currently being installed by Apple. I think it's the GT200 series. I am very frustrated with Apple right now. How does one get past the online tech to talk to someone with at least a partially open mind?

Bill Wilson
SunDolphin Productions
Birmingham, Alabama

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:12:04 pm

I feel your pain. However, you know you can always switch back to the original card if you dealing with Applecare. The scary thing for me was, OK, the new card fixes the problem with Color, but what new problems does it create? For me, so far, none. I feel better knowing I can always go back to the 7300 if I have to.

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]