FORUMS: list search recent posts

New system x58 i7 success story

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aristides Tiropolis
New system x58 i7 success story
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:44:25 pm

Hi,

I thought I might post my new system specs and results I got, it's nice to post a successful setup sometimes...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Cpu: Intel i7 920 D0 stepping
Graphics: Sparkle Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512Mb
Disks: 5 Sata Internal Disks
Memory: 8Gb DDR3
Blackmagic Decklink HDextreme PCIe
PCI FW800 (Texas I. Chip) and on board FW400
and other peripherals external disks etc..

I actually can confirm that ALL the PCIe slots work with the Blackmagic card, Premiere CS4 works on windows and much faster now.

As a side note I also managed to create the system to dual boot Vista x64 sp2 with Mac OSX 10.5.7 with no hacks or anything illegal, I used an EFI-X usb (more on http://www.efi-x.com) module with a legal retail copy of Leopard. The system works fine on OSX with the Blackmagic card and all peripherals and operates/updates like a regular Mac, Final cut pro works fine (haven't tested Premiere) as well and previews everything correct with the card. I do need to mention though that it does require computer building/troubleshooting skills and its not something I would recommend over buying the absolutely fantastic Mac Pro, but its legal and its there for those who want to go that route...

Cheers...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: New system x58 i7 success story
on Aug 3, 2009 at 10:30:41 pm

did you build your own computer ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Aug 3, 2009 at 11:03:21 pm

Yup, I've always built my own machines...except of course my laptop...

Return to posts index

Peter Berthet
on Aug 4, 2009 at 12:15:41 am

Something you should take note of, while hackintosh installations are fun. Theres nothing about them that is legal.

Its a breach of the Leopard EULA to install it on non-Apple hardware.

~Peter Berthet
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Aug 4, 2009 at 3:24:02 am

Hi Peter,

I wouldn't call it a hackintosh installation, since there is no illegal or patched software being used, nor there's any connection with the hackintosh community. The EFI-X is simply an (albeit an ellaborate one) implementation of intel's EFI specification, which simply enables EFI aware OSes (that's why you can't use XP) to install and load using a bootcamp style interface.

As for the second part, I'm not a lawyer but I hear that the EULA pertaining to mac hardware only installations, is a little bit on a grey zone in the United States but I could be dead wrong.

Apple actually did (as you probably already know) prosecute a company which was selling their own pc's with a hacked (modified) version of mac OSX installed...the hardware aforementioned has nothing to do with that and they actually (The EFI-X company) provided press releases defining the differences and the reason they have no litigation and actually enjoy a good relationship with Apple, also the DMCA does not apply in any way to my country.

But I think we slipped off topic. This is a post on a new system that the Blackmagic card works. Most people can keep the working Windows vista x64 setup information, so they can maybe choose to make a safe upgrade, the other part is as stated initially: a side note...

Cheers :)

Return to posts index

Peter Berthet
on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:17:49 am

True that,

as i understand it EFI-x dont condone the installation of OSX on PCs, yet they enable it .

Oh well :)

On a little fun note, the wording of the EULA for leopard states that OSX cannot be installed on "non-apple BRANDED" hardware

you know those apple stickers you get with macbooks ?

...if you catch my drift ;)

~Peter Berthet
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Aug 4, 2009 at 5:04:26 am

Yup, they actually provided the stickers with the Leopard DVD as well :)))

Anyways, I did some tests with media encoder on vista:

Uncompressed RGB to H264, BM 4:2:2, BM JPEG and performance varies from 60 to 100% faster (hyperthreading enabled)

The i7 is truly a gem...

Return to posts index

Peter Berthet
on Aug 4, 2009 at 7:03:17 am

good to hear actually, were looking at building a new core i7 based machine in our office soon

the old AMD quad core is gettin a bit ..well.. old

~Peter Berthet
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Gabe Tanenhaus
on Sep 30, 2009 at 12:53:55 am

Thanks for sharing your build, it looks great. Do you run FCP on it? If so, is it stable?

-G

_______________________________________________ __________________ "Wise is the tongue wet of perfect thought" - Frank "Black Frances" Black

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Sep 30, 2009 at 1:46:58 am

Yup I actually bought a used Final Cut Studio 2 from a friend who sold his imac.

Everything works and is fully updated. (Color, Final Cut, Soundtrack and so on.)

The BM card works fine on OSX and Windows, whichever I boot...

I've been runnin' it since August so it looks ok.

Return to posts index

Anthony Dickinson
EFIX - New system x58 i7 success story
on Jan 23, 2010 at 1:43:19 am

Hello,

I was concerned to read this post and the references to the scam Efi-x module.

Please note that Efi-x is an expensive "cheap" and not so cheerful USB memory stick, with code that is proven to have been "stolen" from the OSX86 project without acknowledgement. The support is lousy and any user who dares question or criticize the product is banned from the Efi-x forum.

It was exposed by a guy known as asereBLN in Germany who was threatened by ASEM and who reluctantly was pressured by lawyers to cease and desist. It is a pity that this is the case as he was obviously unable to stand by the facts that are clearly presented in Tom's hardware website. Efi-x is a total scam and ASEM now operate out of Taiwan. Despite the recent Psystar ruling ASEM continue to operate and charge exorbitant amounts to people to break Aplle's EULA.

In the beginning Efi-x was plausible as ASEM front man was one Davide Rutlingo, who left the company in June/July 2009. Davide states that although CEO he had no knowledge of the truth behind the scam and only fed to the world what he was told!

Despite the Apple EULA, if you want a hackintosh - then use Chameleon not the Efi-x rubbish, but do not expect a 100% working OSX system. If you want OSX buy a Mac as they are more competively priced these days.

Return to posts index

rui carvalho
Re: EFIX - New system x58 i7 success story
on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:41:09 pm

Hi have the efix but my black magic deck link doesnt work so well. it is crashing the final cut, and when dont crash, and i have the card give monition, when a push the play botton it work just fine but when i push stop bottom it takes a second to stop. any tip for this problem
tanks

PPX

Return to posts index

Marcio Coelho
on Sep 22, 2010 at 10:45:09 pm

Oi Rui, tudo bem?

Eu também tenho uma máquina com efix que está dando erros.

Estava tudo funcionando redondo até eu fazer o update do firmware do efix.

Agora o Final Cut Pro 7 não abre mais, nem consigo instalar.

O After Effects, depois de 30 minutos de trabalho da um pau muito estranho, travando a máquina e com um pau estranho na tela.

Além disso, minha placa de rede não funciona nem a pau.

Você conseguiu fazer a a sua máquina funcionar?

Abraços,
Marcio

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:52:22 pm

Yeah, I would follow up on the case, but it didn't seem to worth the effort or the time...

EFI-X is probably a rip off the OSX86 community, this however has not been officially been proven since the module's content is encrypted. It did at the time seem to have its merits. Sadly the company seemed to operate (and still does) under shady business practices, not to mention a hilariously megalomaniac company director (or whatever his official position is) .

The module still works and the machine has been upgraded to the latest version of SL and Final Cut Studio 3 with the Blackmagic working better than ever. However I strongly suggest people to steer away from it. I feel safe in being able to maintain the machine by myself, with free solutions like chameleon if the module breaks.
I recently set up another machine (i7 with Gigabyte EX58 UD5) only by using Chameleon related material and DSDT's. These machines are great but they're not Mac Pro's. If you treat them that way they definitely pay off. Also it is illegal in the U.S and in maybe other countries as well (not in mine) to break the terms of the eula. Even when using an original copy of Mac OS X. So it is what it is...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]