FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink HD new system

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allby Corry
Decklink HD new system
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:54:15 pm

Hi,
I'm purchasing Decklink HD Extreme to upgrade my two SD edit suites.
I would like to know if it work with the new i7 processor and motherboard.
I donĀ“t work with big projects and files, I need to use a disk array or can I use SATA Hard Drives for video storage?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Decklink HD new system
on Jun 30, 2009 at 5:47:07 pm

Hey there,

Obviously all motherboards are a little different and may behave differently, but so far we've had great results with the i7 motherboards and our 4x lane boards (Decklink HD Extreme 3 included). To be accurate there is an issue with our 1x lane boards and the x58 chipset that we are working hard to resolve, but for the board you mentioned you should be fine.

As for what type of drive setup you will need, it will depend on what you are doing. If you are using HD Uncompressed, you will need to start with at least 4 drives in a RAID 0 (you can consider redundant arrays too). If you are using compressed, you can probably get away with 1 drive, but you will likely not be happy, so I would suggest at least a 2 drive array for compressed as well, and this should be separate from your system drive.

If you don't have experience with setting up arrays or video editing systems we would always recommend you have an experienced integrator do it (there are many around), but it is something the adventurous DIYer could tackle with some research.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jun 30, 2009 at 6:38:54 pm

Thank you, Joshua,

I'll follow your information.

regards,
Allby

Return to posts index

Richard Scobie
on Jun 30, 2009 at 7:35:32 pm

[Joshua Helling] "To be accurate there is an issue with our 1x lane boards and the x58 chipset that we are working hard to resolve, but for the board you mentioned you should be fine."

OK, it looks as though I have just been bitten by this (using an ASUS P6T X58 board and a Decklink Studio card) - I posted a support email yesterday with more details.

Is there any indication when this will be resolved as this workstation is needed urgently?

Regards,

Richard

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jun 30, 2009 at 8:44:41 pm

Bummer, apologize for that.

Yeah, we are actively working on it (we are in contact with the chip makers), and I know some headway is being made, but when we do finally get it fixed it will need to go through testing. So the unfortunate answer is that I don't know exactly when it will be fixed. Not with enough certainty to bank on telling you to "wait for it".

So...if you need that system urgently, as much as I hate to say it, you should probably consider a different motherboard/proc, or possibly one of our 4x lane boards.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Daryn Cashmark
on Jul 2, 2009 at 4:59:26 am

Just built a new system with Decklink HD Extreme 3, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Core i7 920, Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, NVidia GTX285 Video Card, 6 Gigs of Ram, 7200 RPM 1 TB System Drive, and 2) 7200 RPM 1.5 TB Drives Stiped Raid 0 in System Software. two drives almost keep up with uncompressed 1080 8 Bit 4.2.2. Actually does pretty well for short clips and captures. I am going to buy two more drives and build 4 drive array. Overall pretty solid system with now major problems so far. Got really good PSU and very well ventilated case. I think these are pretty important itmes that are sometimes overlooked. Of course your mileage may vary.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jul 9, 2009 at 10:49:40 pm

Hi Daryn,

You are using the two Drives Striped inside the computer case or external?

regards,
Allby

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:40:51 am

Hi Joshua,

Any model of i7 motherboard that you have tested with the Decklink HD Extreme 3?

regards,
Allby

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:19:53 pm

For the 4x boards both the boards that this office has personally tested work fine, so both the Intel DX58SO and the P6T line seem to work fine. I know there are a number of others which have been reported working as well (again with the 4x lane boards)

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Jul 14, 2009 at 8:50:17 pm

Thank you Joshua,

I already purchase the Decklink HD Extreme 3 and I'm waiting receive it this week and now I'm going to buy the computer and peripherals.

Last question, well maybe..

Has any difference in using WindowsXP or Vista with this system?

Thank you again,

Allby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]