FORUMS: list search recent posts

harddisk setup??

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maurice jansen
harddisk setup??
on Jun 12, 2009 at 8:24:29 pm

hi there all

i'm trying to budget a medium quality editsuite.
based around FCPstudio2 a MacPro8core EpisodePro and a Blackmagic Decklinkstudio capturecard.
I'm getting confused with the harddiskpart what is the best choice??
my work will be SD and some HD most work is CutCut some titling simple DVDauthoring.
transcoding.it will be more a kind of utility suite then a full creative paradise ;-)
actualy the machine will mostly be used for transcoding or encoding tape's(old archive stuff) to file's.
my question what will be the best harddisk setup. is it true when i say that using prores to capture will
unstress my harddisk setup but will stress my processor. or the other way around will my disk setup be more complez/expensive when i use uncompressed but will this ease transcoding.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: harddisk setup??
on Jun 14, 2009 at 9:40:14 am

is there i thread about this i can't find a thing??

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 14, 2009 at 6:42:33 pm

Hi Maurice -
such an easy answer - such a difficult answer.
Here on Cow, I love giving the same answer - look to your left, and look to your right, on this very forum. There are countless excellent companies that make wonderful drive arrays that will work perfectly with your FCP Mac Pro System - Dulce, Maxx Digital, Cal Digit, G-Tech, and so many others. Just look at the banner ads. They will all work for you. If you want to do uncompressed HD, you will need one of the more expensive products, but for anything else - everything will work. And if you want to spend zero money, just stick some internal SATA drives in your MAC Pro, use Disk Utility to stripe them together, and you will have 3 terabytes of storage to do anything that you want - until you decide your direction.

If you want any more specific detailed answers on a particular brand, just let me know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jun 14, 2009 at 8:31:05 pm

hi bob

although i understand that these drive array systems are not made for nothing.
i have the strong feel that the red pencil of my boss will cancel the whole replacement.
there must be a disadvantage of the last option you mention. i guess you can tell me what that is.

for the other part how must i see the flowchart of a proress project in combination with the decklinkcard i mentioned.

decklink capturing uncompressed ==> Processors/OS encoding to prores ==> disks storing the smaller bandwith stream.
or is the OS/Program more a traffic manager and does the card have a hardware encoder. i guess not when i see the price.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:45:48 am

Hi there.

As Bob sayed you can go with internal drives and use lets say ProRez an you will be fine. I use my 3 internal 1 TB drives and can do a bit uncompressed but my jobs are short 30 sec or so. My drives are pretty empty also. For longer movie etc external boxes are must if you do not do all your stuff ProRez.

Of course one can play trics and install 4 x 2tb drives etc but this is not something for common user and there is alot warranty questions etc. So go just for 3x1 tb drives and you will be fine.

For CPU i'd say deffinetly 8 cores and as fast as you can pay.
Maybe it is not most reasonable way but it keeps your machine running a bit longer in years to come.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:58:03 pm

just remember - I am not "blessing" the new Western Digital 5400 RPM 2 terabyte drives. If you want to be the "guinea pig" - then god bless you - you can tell us if it works or not.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:06:36 am

Maybe one day i will be the big :)

I have my doubts also with the variable spin speed etc.

For me 1TB Seagates have worked.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]