FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink SDI frame rates

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helmut Kobler
Decklink SDI frame rates
on Jun 11, 2009 at 11:48:20 pm

I need a card to monitor HD ProRes video from Final Cut to a broadcast monitor via HD-SDI. It looks like the Decklink SDI card might work well, but I'm a little uncertain of the framerates it supports, as listed on the product page here:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklink/techspecs/

I've also spoken with a couple of people in tech support at Blackmagic, and haven't gotten an entirely consistent answer.

Specifically, I'm uncertain whether the card will work with 720/24p video and 720/29.97 or 30p. My camera (a P2 Varicam) shoots all 720 as 720/59.94, and you just set whatever frame rate you like within that. The BlackMagic web site says the card works with 720/59.94, but then I get mixed answers as to whether it will work at specific frame rates like 24 and 29.97/30 within that 59.94 'stream'.

This world of monitoring is a little new to me. Any clarification much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Decklink SDI frame rates
on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:40:48 pm

I'm not sure how you didn't get a consistent answer about the frame sizes and rates, as it is something all the guys are quite familiar with. But let me see if I can clarify for you.

720p24: Native, no. If you are using a Varicam device with varicam footage, then it will capture/create 720p24 over 60 (normal varicam mode).

720p30: Native, No. Same thing, if you are using a Varicam 30p project it will work.

Since you are using a varicam camera if you are using varicam then our board works in the same way. It will capture your footage and work with the flagged frames natively (even though the files are over 60 FPS). So over cranking and under cranking will work normally within those frame rates. So if your target is 24p, then use the 24p varicam mode and only the flagged frames will be used. Same with 30p.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]