FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrascope Specs

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick hasson
Ultrascope Specs
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:19:04 pm

Looking to order my computer for the upcoming ultra scope. Looked on the website and did not see any specs?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Ultrascope Specs
on Jun 8, 2009 at 11:26:35 pm

It's not out yet ! It's coming soon, and I better get mine before you get yours !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Jun 8, 2009 at 11:37:22 pm

well when you get it. let me know what pc you are going to use!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 10, 2009 at 3:08:33 am

I am going to use an HP xw4600 (if I can still get one) or the newer HP Z400. These are both the low end models from the HP workstation series. The HP workstation series is what Blackmagic, AJA, and Adobe all use for their PC based products, and HP has great phone support if something goes wrong - but only on the workstation series.

I see that PC Connection is selling the HP xw4600 right now for $671, which is a great price for an inexpensive computer that will work perfectly for the Ultrascope.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Jun 10, 2009 at 8:46:54 pm

I just placed my order for one of these. I bought a Dell Vostro 220 for right around $700 from Dell. I think I added some memory to the configuration and got it with XP, but I don't think I did much more than the base configuration. I also got a 20" widescreen LCD included in the $700.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:48:29 pm

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread......
I got my Ultrascope. Turns out, my hardware choices were not good. The 20" monitor is too small, (only does 1680x1050). The Vostro is underpowered. (my fault...I could not find system specs for the ultrascope at the time I had the money to buy the system) and the video card options only went up to Open GL 2.0 instead of 2.1. Again, my fault for buying based on system specs not being published for the Ultrascope at the time I bought this system.

As we speak, I am upgrading the video card and processor and a 1980x1200 monitor is on it's way.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Derrick Abeyta
on Jun 10, 2009 at 9:12:01 pm

Does anybody know if a 1920x1080 monitor would work with the Ultrascope? I was looking at the Samsung 2370HD. It's a 23" LCD which also has an integrated ATSC Tuner. It would be great if I could have the ability to switch to local HDTV when I'm not color grading.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jun 11, 2009 at 11:39:14 pm

Hi,

Ultrascope is currently designed to work with a 1920x1200 screen. I would recommend a low cost 24" monitor for work and a separate HDTV for pleasure. :)

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Derrick Abeyta
on Jun 12, 2009 at 3:06:56 am

ok, thanks Kristian. Is this product still scheduled for release this month?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 14, 2009 at 7:17:18 pm

Kristian writes -
Ultrascope is currently designed to work with a 1920x1200 screen. I would recommend a low cost 24" monitor for work and a separate HDTV for pleasure. :)

Gee, I wonder what will happen when I put the output of the Ultrascope into a monitor that is native 1024x768, but scales an HD image. I am specifically refering to the Panasonic 42" Plasma
TH42PH11UK. I know that the TH42PF11UK is native 1920x1200, but will a monitor that "scales" work - or will there be trouble ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jun 14, 2009 at 9:01:58 pm

hi all

well i wonder why they so specificly are talking about a 24inch 1920@1200display.
is this funny card giving the GUI pixels instead of data?
i guess a low res panel will always degrade the optical part of the measurement.
we all know the OSD scope's of the earlyday's from hamlet/leader.
why did we hate them because the fuzzy picture did not compare to the razorsharp CRTscope's
but the ADC's in these old boxes did not lie.
i guess downscaling gives the same trouble although in a lesser degree.
to minimize this effect you should question your self where you want to scale in the display or in the videocard???

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:48:23 pm

The card does NOT output the GUI. The Graphics card outputs the GUI. The output of the board is an E to E of the input. So it will just be passed through.

Does that help to clarify?

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:59:53 pm

Bob,

By output of the Ultrascope do you mean the graphics card output? As long as the output of the graphics card is set to 1920x1200 it should be fine. The GUI is what won't resize. So if you output 1920x1200 DVI from the graphics card and go to a monitor that has a smaller native res but will scale it should work.

But just keep in mind that the reason we've limited this (well one of them) is for the quality and accuracy of the image itself. So having it scaled may not give the top quality. Will it significantly impact the usage? Meh..probably not, but it is likely to impact it somewhat.

If by output you mean the SDI passthrough, well...that works the same as our capture boards. It is just E to E. So what goes in, will go out.

Hope that clarifies.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Derrick Abeyta
on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:21:58 pm

So what happens if you were to connect to a 1920x1080 monitor? Does the GUI get cropped by 120 lines on the display?

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jun 17, 2009 at 9:37:21 pm

You have a 1080 computer monitor? Or are you talking about using a TV as a computer monitor?

Well..if you set the computer to output 1080, then yes, it will probably crop. If the TV has 1080, but can display 1200 it may work (given that it is scaling). But more likely it will simply cut it off as well. So you might have a hard time using the buttons.

So...seriously...best option. Use a computer monitor that supports 1920x1200. This is typical for monitors 24", but you can find monitors that will support that res in smaller sizes.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Derrick Abeyta
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:24:34 pm

Thanks Joshua,

My problem is with the physical space I have available to mount another LCD monitor. Right now I have 2 Apple 23" displays on the console. Above that I have 2 M&K Sound monitors wall mounted to the left and right. And just above the sound monitors is a large cabinet for storage that is fixed to the wall. This leaves me with a space that a 22"-23" monitor would fit. A 24" is probably too big depending on the bezel.

So I am looking for a 22"-23" monitor that has VESA mounts that support the 1920x1200 resolution. I haven't been able to find one yet. There are many 1920x1080 monitors available.

Looking at the pdf of the Ultrascope it appears to have some wasted vertical space that might allow for the cropping to a 1920x 1080 monitor. But if your saying it won't work I may have to hold off a purchase until another solution arises.

Thanks for your input,

Derrick

Return to posts index

Owen Williams
on Jun 22, 2009 at 8:02:18 pm

Is the resolution issue something that might be addressed in later versions of the software? All I really need is an RGB Parade and vectorscope, so all that screen real estate is wasted. Since I already have two 22" monitors and one 24" reference monitor on my desk, I don't want to get whiplash just checking two scopes.

The large monitor size would also be a distraction to clients, whose eyes I'd prefer focused on my reference display, not on a dancing light show.

What I would like to use is an small 1024x768 display and be able to configure the software to display just the scopes that I need. A UI like Scopebox (scopebox.com), where individual elements are positionable and scalable would be ideal, but I'd settle for a basic resizable window and toggleable scopes.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jun 22, 2009 at 11:48:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. As Utrascope is designed to be technically accurate, having a larger display will help in aligning the waveforms against the graticles. We've all spent time squinting at tiny waveform monitor displays to check our levels so it will be nice to be able to do it comfortably.

However, your feedback is still valuable and we'll definitely look into it.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Derrick Abeyta
on Jul 2, 2009 at 12:50:38 am

Which Windows OS is recommended for Ultrascope? XP Pro, Vista 32, 64? I am currently shopping for a PC and want to make sure it will be compatible.

When is this product shipping? Soon I hope.

Return to posts index

Steve Harley
on Jul 3, 2009 at 8:29:30 pm

I thought this was shipping in June. Anyone receive theirs?

Return to posts index

Nik Skjøth
on Aug 14, 2010 at 12:38:02 pm

Quote from BMD: "Support for Different Monitor Sizes
With support for 1920x1200, 1920x1080 & 1280x800
resolution monitors, Blackmagic UltraScope can now
be used with a wide range of monitors, both large and
small."

Because scalable windows are out of fashion?

It really feels amateurish, that a software company cant figure out how to make windows resizable.

You're probably gonna throw me excuses about pixel to pixel accuracy being the issue and bla bla.. No. Any other company on this planet can make windows scale.. why cant you? It's really simple.
Just make an algorithm for each scope window to pick a set number of pixels used in the proximity of any given window size. While still recommending 1920x1200 as optimum resolution.
By that you can accomendate any monitor size with all 6 scopes, avoiding aliasing and smeering, only at the cost of size/resolution detail.

I hope the upcoming Davinci resolve doesn't have a specific screen size requirement. That would really be an epic fail.

Return to posts index

Chris Cooke-Johnson
on Dec 12, 2009 at 2:30:16 am

Hi Derrick et al,

this is now a few months on and I was wondering if you had indeed purchased the ultrascope and if so, could confirm what happens on a 1080 monitor. I'm looking at what would be a great monitor for both the Ultrascope and the pushbutton views for the videohub (HP, touchscreen, as it would save the keyboard/mouse space in a portable system) and would really love to know what the interface for both would look like on a 1080 screen.

Thanks & take care,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]