FORUMS: list search recent posts

Analog to SDI Mini Converter

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Wirth
Analog to SDI Mini Converter
on May 26, 2009 at 7:07:42 pm

I cannot get Component video from a BluRay player to pass the converter. The signal shows up fine on monitors that have component inputs and the converter works as advertised when fed YPbPr signals from its SDI to Analog counterpart. Since it is analog component, HDCP shouldn't be a factor.

We are attempting to distribute for viewing within a facility already wired for HD/SD SDI. But digital quality is not an issue. I'd even accept 480 as long as I could get 16X9. But I can't get anything.

I'd rather not run a bunch of HDMI cable all over the place if I can avoid it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Analog to SDI Mini Converter
on May 26, 2009 at 10:09:54 pm

I have yet to see a Blackmagic CAV to SDI converter NOT work. The reliability has been teriffic. Since you have an all SDI facility, I urge you to go to any of your VTRs, or capture cards (because every HD VTR, every Digi Beta, every AVID, AJA and Blackmagic product) all have analog Y Pb Pr signals - and feed one of these sources into the Blackmagic analog to SDI converter. Then take the SDI output, and see if the converter works. I bet it does.

I have used this very converter with STANDARD DEF DVD players to convert Y Pb Pr to SD-SDI, but I have NEVER tried it with a Blu Ray player. Obviously, if your A/D works with your Digi Beta, HDCam, HD1400, AJA or Blackmagic card, but winds up not working with your Blu Ray, no one is going to have an answer for you -

ALTHOUGH - I just remembered I setup a standard cheapo DVD player for someone recently, and in the menus, it had choices for progressive scan output on the Y Pb Pr output - TURN THAT OFF if its in the menus.

bobZelin

Return to posts index

Richard Wirth
on May 27, 2009 at 6:29:21 pm

Bob,

Turning off the Progressive Scan did the trick. The units talk to each other just fine in 59.94!

Thanks for the help,
Richard

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 28, 2009 at 1:02:03 am

had I not suffered thru this myself, I would never have guessed the answer. People always say to me "how do you know all of this stuff". They don't realize that I am constantly tearing my hair out with "stupid little problems" like this one. I sat at my client, checking every cable, not being able to figure out why it wasn't working - it was out of total desperation that I went into the DVD player menus.

I am glad things are resolved.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joseph Colorado
on Jun 26, 2010 at 2:00:31 pm

Hi Bob,

I'm having similar problem with newly purchase mini converter by blackmagicdesign (analog to sdi) when I tried to connect the component (three colors) from the output of Blu-ray player, it was recognized by Anycast Station (HD-SDI input)meaning i'm getting nice picture (the video output in Anycast Station was set to HD 16:9). When I try to use the regular DVD player with component (turning off the progressive scan) signal would not come out from the anycast. I tried to use the composite and switching the #5 switch to on position, still no signal (I tried to change the video output signal to Anycast to 4:3 still no signal). I bought the item brand new. thanks for your help Bob and anybody that could help is welcome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]