FORUMS: list search recent posts

(Hopefully) simple question about Decklink Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Sparks
(Hopefully) simple question about Decklink Studio
on May 25, 2009 at 12:27:55 am

Hello, first post here, though I've had quite a few questions answered by searching CC over the years. I'm going to ask a simple question first, and then give you the background info.

If I select the Decklink Studio ASIO drivers in an AUDIO program, will the audio be output through the HD-SDI output, even though there's no video?

A simple yes or no will suffice, but here's why I ask...

I am designing a new edit system. I need 4 analog audio ins, and 6 analog audio outs for monitoring surround sound. Looking at the Decklink Studio, it seems that it has enough inputs and outputs to meet my needs and eliminate the need for an extra sound card. (I was going to get a Delta 1010LT even though it's overkill). I can use the 4 balanced channels in, and then add a couple of D/A converters to split the AES/EBU outputs to analog.

But then I took a look at the HD-Link Pro and saw that it has 6 analog audio outs. If I add this, I would eliminate the need for the D/A converters, as well as be able to use an HDMI or DVI monitor, which would eliminate the need for a splitter or switcher for the component output. (I intended to use them for monitoring as well as output to a Betacam deck on occasion). There would be a lot of workflow benefits as well.

But none of this matters if I can't get surround sound out of, say, Acid Pro and out to the HDLink Pro. For that matter, maybe I'm wrong in assuming that the Decklink Studio can be used as an audio-only device at all. I guess I can just use my motherboard's onboard audio for audio programs, but then I would have to deal with two sets of analog surround.

Return to posts index

Marc Sparks
Re: (Hopefully) simple question about Decklink Studio
on May 25, 2009 at 1:52:47 am

I've since read a few things that indicate that Decklinks are not suitable replacements for sound cards, but I'd still like some input from people with experience with the Decklink Studio.

I hear the main problem is that you can not record audio through the Decklink unless video is present. Someone said that your audio would be put in a video file and you would have to strip it out. This seems odd to me...I would think an ASIO driver is an ASIO driver. I can see if the card requires a video signal to activate the input, but you should still be able to choose the audio input in any ASIO aware software.

I should note that this is Windows...I'm on XP now, but might move to Vista 64 (or Windows 7 64 depending on how long this project take me.)

Return to posts index

Marc Sparks
Re: (Hopefully) simple question about Decklink Studio
on May 28, 2009 at 2:21:23 pm

No one knows anything about this? Oh well. The more I read, the more I think I'll need a real sound card.

What I'm considering now will raise my budget, but I'm really focusing on workflow. The Delta 1010 has 8 analog ins and 8 analog outs, and their software has a great patch panel and mixer. I can run the 6 channel out from the HDLink Pro(or from the Decklink if budget dictates) to channels 3-8 on the Delta. These can be set to pass through mode, so they come directly back out channels 3-8. I can hook these up to my surround amp. When I need to work in surround mode in Acid, I just open the patch panel and switch from pass through 3-8 to WAV 3-8. Then, it's just a matter of directing Acid to WAV 3-8, rather than 1-6.

You can set the Delta to mix down everything to 1-2, so there will still be a dedicated 2 channel out for non-surround mixing.

I imagine this might set things microscopically out of sync for monitoring, but if I get the HDLink, the Decklink analog outs will still be free for feeding a Betacam deck.

I'd still appreciate any input on this...maybe I'm complicating things too much in trying to keep my workflow simple. Why can't I just use the Delta for audio output?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]