FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p uncompressed project

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Feucht
1080p uncompressed project
on May 22, 2009 at 5:27:05 am

I am doing the color grading for a feature edited in Avid. The only software worth anything at our budget is Apple Color. So, we are using Automatic Duck to bring the project over to my FCP system to do the color timing.

In Avid, the editor gave me a 10 bit uncompressed timeline with media attached. We shot the film with a Panasonic HPX3000 at 1080p 24fps.

For the import/setup of the sequence in FCP (plus the media manager's recompress to quicktime function), I have a list of setting to have the sequence brought in at. It does not list Apple's 10 bit uncompressed 1080p, but has a ton of Blackmagic codecs. I contacted Blackmagic and they said they do not do 1080p. They do 1080psf, which is not the same.

Basically, I want to keep it uncompressed for grading (and hopefully output.) The only uncompressed formats offered at 24p are 2K Blackmagic formats. These are the wrong resolution. I read somewhere that the Sony decks deal in 24PsF... should this be my settings since I'll be outputting to HDcamSR tape at 1080p? I'm just confused as to how to set up this project for uncompressed 1080p at 24fps. My output will be HDcam SR, DVD, and possibly BluRay.

Thank you all in advance

-George

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: 1080p uncompressed project
on May 24, 2009 at 2:10:12 am

Hi George,

We make no distinction between PSF and P on file as this only matters in the actual transport of the video signal from one device to another. Since you're going to be outputting to Hdcam, you'll need to use PsF as the transport stream or the VTR will not see the video signal.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]