FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basics of Intensity Pro (specifically, how does capture work exactly)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robby Huang
Basics of Intensity Pro (specifically, how does capture work exactly)
on May 19, 2009 at 10:06:55 pm

I am looking to upgrade my video quality a bit and I'm wondering how exactly the Intensity Pro works as a capture device.

Currently, I am using the PYRO AV Link and my understanding is that it basically encodes whatever video source you are feeding it into standard 480i DV format.

Now, with the Intensity Pro, it seems that the big selling point is that you can capture HD formats uncompressed. I am not in the market to get a RAID and to work with uncompressed video, I just want to be able to capture in a nice compressed format that will be high resolution and good quality. So does the Intensity Pro just feed the video through uncompressed or can it compress as I'm capturing? Or is this handled in the editing program as it captures? I'm not really too sure on the basics of how it works. If there are any guides for this type of thing, that would be helpful too.

For example, this HD PVR from Hauppauge will capture 1280 by 720 video in AVC format (which is compressed, correct?) and I've seen results and they look very nice and are perfectly adequate for me. However, the box is even more expensive than the Intensity Pro at $250!

So since the Intensity Pro is only $200 dollars and offers the possibility to upgrade to uncompressed video in the future if I ever get a RAID, it seems like a better investment than the HD PVR from Hauppauge.

I should also mention that I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 8 to capture and edit.

I apologize if this question is a bit too consumer level for everyone and any help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Basics of Intensity Pro (specifically, how does capture work exactly)
on May 24, 2009 at 2:24:50 am

Hi

Intensity Pro works by allowing you to input full resolution video and then decide what to do with it when capturing. Unlike the DV bridge you're using which has a DV encoder and thus limiting you to the DV codec, you don't have such a limitation with Intensity Pro.

That doesn't mean you have to capture Uncompressed video though. You can also use the Blackmagic MJPEG codec we provide as well as any other that is quick enough to compress on the fly.

Vegas is another subject altogether. We current do not support Vegas with our current drivers.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]