FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Link and Blue only

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Schaub
HD Link and Blue only
on Apr 27, 2009 at 10:24:21 pm

I just got an original HD Link and I am interested in setting it up to do some "affordable" color correction. I got it was because it had a blue only option in its setup utility. Now that I have it set up I am finding it difficult to get it to calibrate. The Blue only option doesn't work the way it does on a regular NTSC monitor. Once activated it shows only the blue channel and the blue calibration controls still work BUT the red and the green controls seem to get disabled. (Not grayed out, but they don't seem to do anything once blue only is activated) Adjustments made to the red and green don't show up until I turn off blue only. Not at all useful in setting up a monitor.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Or maybe I don't understand how this is supposed to work. Anyone out there has some experience with this unit?

Thanks!!!
John

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
Re: HD Link and Blue only
on Apr 29, 2009 at 3:35:16 pm

I'm using the pro version (needed the loop-through) and yes, it does not work exactly like a blue-only button on a CRT. I believe the intent is to then use the picture controls on your monitor as opposed to the curves in the HDLink Utility to adjust the picture settings. At least that's what I do...

-Sean Donnelly
Digital Supervisor, SFI

Return to posts index

John Schaub
on Apr 29, 2009 at 3:53:57 pm

Ok, I can see how that would work. BUT, I am using a Apple 23 Cinema display, the one they show on their site, and it doesn't have image controls built in. It's done in the OS and will not work if the display is not connected via the DVI port. I am not sure how they expect us to do this? Any ideas?

Thanks!!
John

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on May 1, 2009 at 11:55:58 pm

Interesting.

Ours do this as well. And I see why it does this, but I am not sure if it makes sense. So, no real help there, but I will ask to see if this is intended functionality or some quirk that got overlooked.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

John Schaub
on May 4, 2009 at 3:36:10 pm

Joshua,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I can't see how it would this way. With an apple display there is no other way to control the color when connected to the HDLINK. It really makes the product NOT function as advertised. Is there any fix or workaround planned???

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on May 4, 2009 at 9:08:04 pm

Well, I can certainly see your point, and I am waiting to talk to my guys about this. But I believe that the LUT is supposed to be created first and then the Blue only function is supposed to be used separately.

There are several monitors that DO have adjustments so I don't know if it is fair to say that a device fundamentally doesn't.

But again...I agree with you it seems odd. So as soon as I hear back I will report back.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on May 4, 2009 at 11:16:07 pm

Hey all. Just following up on this. I spoke to the engineers to clarify. This is current design of the product.

The LUTs were not designed to be adjusted with the "blue only" field enabled. Generally colorists will create the LUTs with all the colors. The Blue only field was designed to emulate connection to a monitor where you would want to use this to check for noise.

I brought up this particular synergy and it they could see the confusion and I was told that it was a good feature request. So...I have submitted this as a feature request.

Obviously I don't have any sort of "when"...or even really an "if" for that matter. But it is logged as a request.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]