FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software Upgrade Question

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Morrison
Software Upgrade Question
on Apr 23, 2009 at 12:24:50 pm

I'm just looking for some quick opinions the proper way to upgrade my suite. I'm upgrading from Premiere 1.5 to the cs4 production suite on my old editor (I plan to upgrade my computer hardware in a couple of months when my budget can afford it) which has a Decklink SP card. Should I just go ahead and do a full wipe and reinstall the OS then Adobe then the Blackmagic drivers? Or could I get away with just uninstalling everything and then reinstalling new drives and the suite? I only ask because I really can't afford the downtime of wiping the system and starting from scratch, but if it's going to give me problems then I will just have to find a way to live with it.

Also, I'm assuming that the latest drivers from Blackmagic are good?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Software Upgrade Question
on Apr 23, 2009 at 6:42:39 pm

Hi.

It would be smart to get annother drive and install, test etc on that. It will be much safer to have working sytem drive in the drawer.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Apr 23, 2009 at 6:48:40 pm

Thanks... that's an idea I did not consider. I'll still have the down time.. but a reliable backup if needed.

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:41:01 am

Hi Matt,

As long as your Windows XP or Windows Vista has the current service packs installed, I don't forsee any problem with simply uninstalling your old copies of Premiere Pro and the DeckLink drivers and then installing Adobe CS4 and lastly the DeckLink drivers. The DeckLink drivers should be installed last otherwise they won't find the Adobe CS4 software and won't activate when you launch software such as Premiere Pro CS4. Please note that the current DeckLink drivers no longer support Premiere Pro 1.5 or 2.0. They do support both Premiere Pro CS3.1.2 and 4.0.1.

Margus's suggestion is an excellent approach particularly if you would like to keep Premiere Pro 1.5 running on your existing hard disk in case you need to revert to it for some reason. The choice is yours :-)

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 24, 2009 at 6:59:35 am

Hi.

It is always good to have spare system clone in the drawer specially if downtime is not an option. Just slip it in boot and there you go.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43:10 am

You are a wise man!

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index