FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Intensity Pro - HDMI sometimes does not display

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russel Foreman
Mac Intensity Pro - HDMI sometimes does not display
on Apr 21, 2009 at 6:36:05 pm

I have a Mac Pro and the Intensity Pro card. I use the latest version of Final Cut Pro and have a monitor attached to the HDMI output of the Intensity Pro card. I edit in HD (ProRes 422). When I first start up Final Cut Pro, the HD footage is not displayed in the monitor. It is only after I change the view from Intensity HD 1080i to Intensity NTSC to Intensity HD 720p and then back to Intensity HD 1080i can I get it to work right. Sometimes I have to do this many times before the intensity card will work. It also sometimes looses the connection when working in Motion. I have to also run Final Cut Pro and do the whole switching of views until it connects again in Final Cut Pro and then go back to working in Motion.

I have contacted tech support at Black Magic Designs with no solution and also consulted Apple as well with no results. Has anyone here dealt with this problem before? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance...

Russ

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
Re: Mac Intensity Pro - HDMI sometimes does not display
on Apr 22, 2009 at 12:32:35 am

Hi Russel,

The two most likely scenarios to explain your observations seem to be:
1. Intensity Pro is failing to output the expected 1080i signal or
2. The HDMI display is failing to accept the 1080i signal at first and only works after you have switched through several other signals.

If the Intensity Pro if failing to output a valid 1080i signal, then you should be able to see the same problem when connecting it to any HDMI display. Is it possible for you to test with another HDMI display?

If another HDMI display shows the same problem, then the problem is somewhere in the card or the software on the computer. It may be that some software needs to be reinstalled and especially Final Cut Pro and the Intensity drivers.

If another HDMI display does not exhibit the same problem, then it seems likely the problem is with your usual HDMI display. If it has a second HDMI input, try that and see if it avoids the problem. If a second display does not exhibit the same problem, then it would be a good cross-check to find some other source of 1080i video via HDMI and send that to your HDMI display. If it also fails to display on your monitor, then your monitor must have some kind of defect.

So these are a few tests to run and hopefully the results will make it clear where the problem lies.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Russel Foreman
on Apr 23, 2009 at 9:19:59 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I tested my HDMI display with other sources and the hdmi ports on my monitor shows no problems. I have reinstalled the software (both Final Cut Pro and the latest version of the Intensity driver) and I still have the problem when first trying to connect via HDMI. I am testing the composite outputs but have not been able to recreate the problem with them (so far - when the card works it works even with the HDMI) Guess it could be with the Intensity Card - I will contact Black Magic Design tech support -

Thank you for your help....

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 24, 2009 at 1:47:46 am

Hi Russel,

Thanks for letting us know what you've managed to test so far and what troubleshooting you've already been through. While it's starting to sound like a card problem, it would be great if you could test with a different HDMI display to be sure. Is that something you can test before contacting tech support?

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Russel Foreman
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:41:24 am

Yes I can. I also want to see if I have the same problem using the component out. I was able to get the HDMI working and I have jobs I need to finish, but I will test the card the next time the problem comes around and keep you posted. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:46:50 am

Great Russel,

Not everyone has easy access to other equipment to perform comparison testing but I'm glad you can lay your hands on another monitor soon and it will be very interesting to learn if you see the same problem or if it behaves as desired.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Russel Foreman
on May 16, 2009 at 3:38:20 pm

I have checked everything I could. I still have problems and still need to do the workaround. I got an email response from BlackMagic Design tech department (Kaspar?) that stated that there is still issues with the card when the computer wakes up from sleep mode (they are the ones that also suggested the workaround I have been using). I have had the same problem whether or not the computer has slept or was shut down and restarted. There are times it works but more often then not I need to do the workaround. I don't see anyone posting similar problems in the forum so I am mystified. I think swapping the card for a new one would be the next step.

I am swamped with editing projects and can't really spend too much more time debugging my computer. I just need something that works. Maybe the new MXO2mini might be a solution when it is released?

Any more help will be appreciated. Thank you for your responses.

Return to posts index

Russel Foreman
on May 18, 2009 at 3:44:21 am

Just an update: I downloaded the drivers for Mac just one more time. Somehow the last time I installed the driver it did not do the flash update. This time it did the flash update and so far the problem has not returned. I have only had five edit sessions since installing the new drivers so I have faith that maybe the problem has been fixed. Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

leo Fallas
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:52:50 am

my problem is I can output via analog,
but when i go video playback HD, my Sony HD TV
doesn't even make available the HDMI input Im using....
is like the cable wasn't plugged in.
I already made tests in 2 different monitors and different cables
and nothing!
I live in Costa Rica, and I bought the card on ebay... brand new.
but I feel frustrated...
any help?

Return to posts index

john vallar
on Jun 22, 2010 at 9:46:22 am

Hi, My name is John.

Can you guys Give me some tips on how to be able to output video that I edited to my LCD TV.
I Have a Mac pro 8core With intel Xeon with 2 NVidia GeForce GT 120 512MB Video Cards. These cards are connected to my 2 samsung 24LCD monitors via DVI for my editing works. I would like to know How I can output the video that I have edited straight from my mac to the viewing LCD TV. This TV is connected to a sony home theater system via HDMI. Can I output from my mac to the theater system and to the TV via HDMI considering the 2 grafix cards are already taken, and what would I need to do so.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]