FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multibridge Pro 2 : 7.1 drivers huge problem - osx 10.5.6 - please help

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob leponge
Multibridge Pro 2 : 7.1 drivers huge problem - osx 10.5.6 - please help
on Apr 20, 2009 at 12:03:10 pm

Hi guys,

I really need your help on this one, it's kind of crazy.
I'm runnig on a macpro (august 2007) - multibridge pro 2 -
Everything worked fine till now

I have a problem since I installed and CS4 and the 7.1 drivers. (in the good order.)

When I start my Macpro the multibridge keeps trying to boot over and over
(the fan makes blows, the led is on, then off then, the fans blows etc...)

I my system preferences and system info the pci card and multibridge are not detected.

When i Shut it off the multibridge gets calm.

So i uninstalled CS4 and downgraded to 6.8.7, it doens't seem to work.

Thank you for your help.

Harold

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
Re: Multibridge Pro 2 : 7.1 drivers huge problem - osx 10.5.6 - please help
on Apr 21, 2009 at 3:28:11 am

Hi Harold,

It sounds to me as though a firmware update has gone awry and that should be fixable but firstly would you please perform the following steps to ensure everything "should work". You have a first generation Mac Pro so please carry out the following steps which are specific to Mac Pro models prior to the Early 2008 models.

1. Firstly, the Multibridge adapter card should be in slot 4 which is the top slot of your Mac Pro. If it is in a different slot, please shut down the Mac, power off the Multibridge and move it to slot 4. Power on the Multibridge and then start the Mac Pro again.

2. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/ and launch the Expansion Slot Utility.

3. You can see there are four alternate PCI Express Profiles. Select the second one as shown in the screenshot above.

4. Click the Save and Restart button.

5. When the Mac restarts, check to see if the Multibridge is working. My guess is it will continue to exhibit the same problem you have described. If so, please continue with the following steps.

6. Shut down the Mac Pro and power off the Multibridge.

7. Disconnect the PCI Express cable between the Mac Pro and the Multibridge. You only have to disconnect one end of the cable.

8. Start up the Mac Pro and then connect a USB cable from the Mac Pro to the Multibridge.

9. Power on the Multibridge and then go to your Applications folder and launch the Blackmagic Multibridge Utility. It should offer to upgrade the firmware on your Multibridge. If it fails to do so, then please contact your nearest Blackmagic Design office for support.

10. Assuming you have been prompted to upgrade the firmware, proceed with the upgrade and follow any onscreen instructions.

11. You should now find the Multibridge Utility interface is active meaning it can communicate with your Multibridge.

12. Shut down your Mac Pro and the Multibridge and unplug the USB cable from the Multibridge.

13. Reconnect the PCI Express cable between the Mac Pro and the Multibridge.

14. Power on the Multibridge and then the Mac Pro.

15. When the Mac Pro starts up, it should prompt you to again upgrade the firmware on the Multibridge. Allow this upgrade to proceed and then you will have to restart the Mac Pro one more time.

16. This should fix the problem with your Multibridge. If not, please do contact your nearest Blackmagic Design office so they can organize a replacement unit for you. However it is most likely that the above procedure will have fixed any firmware problem with your Multibridge.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

bob leponge
on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:44:25 am

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your help.
I know it's nab and you must be very busy, so thanks for taking the time to answer.

Well, it seems it didn't need a fw update. (for now...)
The expansion slot utility was all right (I never touch it anyway, just have 2 cards).
I keep your procedure in mind just in case.

It's been back to normal for 18 hours and to tell you the true i'm not sure how.
Which is not very confident.

What I did :

- uninstall everythink from blackmagic and adobe.
- disconnect all cables.
- disconnect then reconnect the pci card.
- change the power cable of the blackmagic
(because at one point, I touched it with my fingers and the blow stopped, believe it or not, i know it's crazy.)
- reset smc.
- installed 6.8.7 drivers
- it seemed to be ok so I worked for a few hours with fcp & motion, it was all right.
- and (you know how geeks are) I couldn't resist trying to get cs4 working. (I just need psd, ai, flash and AE)
- it worked

so i think i'm gonna stick with 6.8.7 for now and wait for new drivers...
what's your opinion on that ?

I let you know
thank you and congratulation for the new products, it looks awesome.

harold

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 22, 2009 at 12:04:14 am

Hi Bob,

I'm really happy to hear your Multibridge is working again. You've changed lots of things so it's impossible for me to tell what fixed the problem and therefore what might have caused the problem in the first place. Hopefully it will continue to behave itself now but do contact your closest Blackmagic office if the problem reappears so they can give you some immediate help.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

bob leponge
on Apr 26, 2009 at 12:38:43 am

Well, I'm sorry to say it hasn't last long.

Today, it came up again with the same problem.
The funning thing is, I wasn't using any video software and suddenly pfff the fan blows.

So tomorrow morning I'll try the firmware update solution you advised me.

And what do you think about a fresh system, fcp & cs4, install ? Will it help ?

Thanks

harold

Return to posts index

bob leponge
on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:01:35 pm

Well, all of this didn't work
Now, I'm pretty sure, the issue comes from the multibridge itself.
So I'll call my reseller for a replacment unit.

Very Sad...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]