FORUMS: list search recent posts

intensity pro Issue

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valentin Lormeau
intensity pro Issue
on Apr 4, 2009 at 1:01:46 am

First time i got to ask for help there, thanks in advance for any kind of help i can get because i'm about to throw myself out of my windows (luckily enough, i live in a basement ahah.)
Ok, i got this wonderful Blackmagic Intensity pro pcie card, because i want to capture some Gaming stuff with my Xbox 360.
I install it on my nice computer:
C2D @ 3,02ghz
2gb of ram
MB Asus P5W DH Deluxe
VC : Radeon 4870 Sapphire.

Huzzah, after some tweaks, and half an hour to figure there is a config menu in the config pannel of windows, i finally get it to encode some Street Fighter IV matches. Quality is awesome, even in compressed, 720p looks smooth, and the signal on TV is lagless, perfect for playing while recording videos.
Day +1 i want to do some more video capture, i launch the Media Express, and ... No video.
Xbox is plugged, nothing changed durigng the night, and yet, no picture in media express, and no picture on TV too, but there is sound on TV. Okay, great. after a while, i uninstall all, and reinstall, nothing changes. too much time lost on this, i let it go.
eventually, i decide to try again, and this time, it DOES work. I do some encoding, and i stop. when i start again, few hours later, same issue than before.
i tried with old pilots, latest ones, my Windows XP is virus and malware free, SP3, fully updated and installed one week ago.
Maybe i forgot a small detail, but this issue is getting on my nerves since i'm going to need the card for professional purposes, and it won't be so much fun with the little "i works part time" funny game.
So maybe someone has encoutered the same problem before and can tell me what is it about, many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Valentin Lormeau
Re: intensity pro Issue
on Apr 10, 2009 at 6:26:00 pm

Guess i'm a special case.
I messed up again with drivers, and it works almost fine now, i'm crossing fingers, but i got a audio sync problem now, and it's quite a mess.

Return to posts index

Rodney Relosa
on Apr 30, 2009 at 11:41:33 pm

Hello,

I'm also building a capture machine using a BlackMagic Intensity Pro. This is mainly to record my Street Fighter IV matches on my 360.

I love the video quality but I'm also getting the audio sync problem. I'm not done configuring my system so I don't need specific help yet. But I would appreciate it if you can continue posting your experiences while I also do the same.

Here's my system for reference:
C2Q @ 2.83GHz
4GB RAM
MB: Asus PQ5-EM
VC: Intel X4500HD (integrated)
HD: WD 1TB (x2)

Right now I'm just optimizing my system, learning to use the hardware/software, and creating my test cases for easier testing.

An unusual thing about my setup is that I've setup my drives as a Matrix RAID. There is a 250GB mirrored volume used for the OS and 1TB striped volume used to store the captured data. I'm hoping this won't cause major problems

A question came to mind and if anyone can answer I would appreciate it.

Is there a way to turn off the preview in Media Express?

Return to posts index

Rodney Relosa
on May 2, 2009 at 10:52:46 pm

After more learning and testing I have resolved my problems and can now capture at 720p @ 59.97, MJPEG, with no dropped frames and audio is in sync.

Here's a run down of my encounters and what I did to address them.

* Pass-thru only works if Media Express is active. Kind of risky to have my video disappear in the middle of an SF4 match. So I got an HDTV Audio/Video Splitter (VOPEX-HDA-2). So my video/audio can be sent to the TV & Intensity Pro at the same time.

* Media Express was dropping frames. I tried different settings, uncompressed & MJPEG, optimizing settings and a small preview. Most of the time it was only once during a 2 min session but it would be enough to get the audio out of sync. In the end I abandoned using Media Express. Maybe with the upcoming update I'll give it a try again.

* I switched to VirtualDub (v1.9.1) but started getting dropped/inserted frames. VirtualDub was pretty complicated so I devoted more time to setting it up. In the support forms, users phaeron & squid_80 gave tips on how to properly setup VirtualDub to capture in 720p. They said to go to Capture|Disk I/O and change the number of chunks to 64 and the chunk size to 2MB. Doing this and using MJPEG was what allowed me to finally do captures without dropping frames and getting audio in sync.

So all said and done I'm happy with the setup, now all I need is a LAN box, a motorized LCD screen and I'll have a nice portable HD capturing system.

Hope this helps anyone trying to build the same setup.

Return to posts index

Valentin Lormeau
on May 5, 2009 at 3:26:26 pm

hehe, i see i'm not the only one out there getting an intensity pro for SFIV matches encoding :)
First let me thank you for the splitter model, seems to be a good bargain for its price, i'm ordering one ASAP.
i didn't have time to look up for a solution after my last post here, so the card is taking dust on my desk, but Virtual Dub seems to be the solution, plus i'm pretty familiar with it, so i will test it today and write some feedback to let you know, i do hope it'll work.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Valentin Lormeau
on Jul 28, 2009 at 12:08:45 pm

Ok, it's been a while, and it's working perfectly with Vdub now, i can manage to encode 30 minutes of matches without a single dropped frame, and my cpu usage peaks at 70%.
Thanks again for the tips, it's working now :)

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:40:02 pm

I'm having audio problems as well. I've always used VirtualDub to capture, even with other capture cards. For some reason when I capture, the audio sounds all garbled like it's underwater, and it's super out of sync. I'm thinking the reason is my computer just can't handle it.

I capture MJPEG compressed @ 29.97 fps (I know I'm supposed to do it at 50-60 fps but it's the best my comp can do).

I'm getting a new processor, motherboard, and more memory in a little bit... so I guess I'll see if that solves the problem.

In the meantime, anybody have any ideas?

(I tried all that was mentioned in the previous posts).

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:47:27 pm

Here's a good example of my problem:

The audio is really messed up and lags way ahead of the video.

My computer specs:

Intel Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz
Intel D915PBL Mobo
2GB DDR2 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

The new parts I'm getting are as follows:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX
ASUS M4A78 PRO Mobo
6 GB DDR2 Memory
Same GFX card.

Will this upgrade solve my problem or does the issue lie elsewhere?

Return to posts index

Rodney Relosa
on Jul 30, 2009 at 2:25:45 am

Hello Joe,

You didn't say if you were using an Intensity Pro but since you replied in this thread I'll assume you are. You also didn't detail your storage specs. RAID0 or single drive?

Not sure if the upgrade would solve your problems. With my setup(C2D 2.8GHz, RAID0) I could record 1280x720@60fps. If it's a compatibility issue, your new setup might work. If it's a configuration issue then it won't.

It would be nice to know what your storage specs are and if during a capture session you're getting any "dropped frames".

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Aug 2, 2009 at 6:00:13 pm

Yes, I am using an intensity pro. I have a single drive. I do get dropped frames when recording at any framerate (60, 50, or 29.97).

I currently capture in 29.97 fps because it's easiest on my system and produces the best quality for bitrate.. anyway, this is the problem I get:

The audio is all slowed down and garbled, and also is unsynced.

Any ideas? My system specs are listed in a previous post.

---

Also, on a separate note, how do I use the "record hdmi video/rca audio" feature. I tried plugging in the hdmi cord to the pci card and connecting the red and white audio cables to the little component adapter thing, but then it wouldn't let me record video.

Return to posts index

Valentin Lormeau
on Aug 3, 2009 at 10:35:30 am

This is exactly the same problem i got a few month ago.
Are you using the laster MEdia Express and drivers ? They seem to be much more power demanding.
Start by using Virtual Dub to capture your video with the settings mentionned above.
Go to Capture then Disk I/0, set chunk in buffer to 64 and chunk size to 2 mb like Rodney Said.
Then, go to Capture then Timing, and check "Do not resync between audio and video stream", i had a desync case with this option not checked.You have some other things to configure like codec and you can capture the easy way. Media Express was using all my CPU while recording, with Vdub, it peaks at 80%
it should go smoothly.
i'm waiting for your feedback.

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Aug 3, 2009 at 5:20:17 pm

Yeah I've always used VirtualDub when recording. I've tried Media Express and didn't like it.

I tried doing what you said but no matter what the audio is messed up. Some settings make it lag way ahead of the video and it's all sped up, and some settings make it lag ahead but it's slowed down.

I'm hoping it's just a computer specs problem and that it will be solved by upgrading my computer, but I don't know.

Return to posts index

Rodney Relosa
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:41:28 pm

Valentin gave all good suggestions but if you're still encountering issues then we'll try other things.

If you're still getting dropped frames, then I think that should be addressed first. Because when I was having problems I made sure to fix that first. Once that was fixed everything else fell into place.

So make sure Capture->Hide display on capture is enabled to save PCI bandwidth and unchecking Audio->Enable audio capturing. If you're still getting dropped frames with this settings then you're system is having trouble just recording video. So a new system would at least help that.

If not then we can start checking your audio settings since that might be what's causing the dropped frames.

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Aug 3, 2009 at 8:28:10 pm

Here are the results I'm getting when I try those settings. No frames dropped but lots of frames inserted at 60fps.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2ebhdgx.png

It looks fine when I play it back... like it doesn't skip around or anything. When I tried to capture with Media Express I always used to get the message that said "..dropped frames... try another setting".

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Aug 4, 2009 at 6:28:09 am

Just to add to the above... it seems to start off synced fine, and then becomes unsynced the more I record.

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Aug 4, 2009 at 6:45:43 am

Sorry to continually add to this post, but I haven't yet discovered an edit button.

I'm doing more testing, and I decided to try a different audio source. I've discovered that by using the "Line In" source instead of capturing from HDMI audio, my problem is solved. Only new problem is that I'm using a lousy audio cable and the sound (while now in perfect sync), is obnoxiously loud.

New question: Is there a way to capture audio from the Red & White RCA cables from my xbox by using the component adapter that came with the BMP (while capturing HDMI video)?

Return to posts index

Rodney Relosa
on Aug 4, 2009 at 7:12:10 am

Sorry couldn't get back to your feedback. I was waiting to get home to try out my setup to compare with your capture data.

But I'm glad you solved your problem.

I won't be able to help with your other question because I have a 1st gen 360 with no HDMI output.

Return to posts index

Sean Sullivan
on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:11:13 pm

This thread is kind of abandoned by now but I noticed that you fixed your problem with getting a black screen sometimes Valentin? I'm wondering how you fixed this because the only solution I have found to fixing it is turning my computer off, reseating my card, then turning my computer back on. This happens every time I turn my computer on without first reseating it.

As for Joe's question, there is a setting in the black magic control panel for HDMI input and Analog RCA audio. This will allow you to use HDMI for video input as well as the red and white plugs on the component adapter for audio.

Also, your problem with the audio being too loud is because you probably have your input volume on your line-in set too high. I found that when I am using my line-in to record game footage I have to set it to record at about 1/2 to 3/4 volume.

As for your other problem with the out of sync audio; I recently encountered that problem when recording with Blackmagic Media Express, but was able to recover my footage with VirtualDub. The reason that happens is because your game is outputting 30fps but you're trying to record 60fps. When this happens your computer records the 30fps but your video gets tagged as being 60 fps. When the video is played back, it will play at double the speed because it is trying to play 60 frames of the footage every second when you recorded only 30 frames every second, but the audio will be the right speed. When you playback the video at 30fps, you get what you showed in your video links: the video is slowed down to 30 fps (half speed), but the audio is also slowed down equally as much, making it out of sync and lower in tone.

I hope this helps you further optimize your setup.

Return to posts index

Valentin Lormeau
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:37:13 pm

Hey Sean,
I'm still following new posts on the thread.
I must admit i didn't fix the black screen issue, and i have to do exactly the same than you each time i start mon computer.
My point is the card is a little too short to get to the PCIE port, my ATX case might be the problem, but frankly, i don't feel like changing it just for a capture card.
Anyway, i'm getting used to it since i don't use the card too often, but still, to have it start nicely without having to unplug it each time would be better.
nice work for explaining the 60/30fps issue, that makes so much sense, i can tell some friends with the same card how to fix the problem now, many thanks.
Valentin.

Return to posts index

Joe Beckwith
on Sep 10, 2009 at 3:01:34 pm

The only solution I have found to fix the black screen problem is exactly what you said: to shut off computer and reset the card.

Sometimes I get a black screen at first but switching between "playback" and "capture" a few times usually solves it. If that doesn't work then yes, I have to reset the card.

And thank you for the explanation to the 30/60 fps issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]