FORUMS: list search recent posts

please help with correct setup (cause I'm getting low audio levels)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derrick van Niekerk
please help with correct setup (cause I'm getting low audio levels)
on Mar 31, 2009 at 6:51:02 am

Hi there,

I would really appreciate it, if someone could help me with this.

I'm getting very low audio levels and I know I'm connecting things wrong. so I thought someone could tell me the correct way to connect everything up?

I have the following setup:

1. M-Audio ProjectMix I/O audio interface
2. BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme card
3. Adobe Premiere Pro for capture and editing (the M-Audio is the audio device in premiere because that is how I can hear playback to my speaker monitors).

I want to record from an analog video camera. I get picture, and very low audio (like in quite a bit less than -12db) at the moment,

SO should I go from the analog mono RCA from the camera to the Decklink Analog XLR (left), or how do I get a loud enough audio signal?

I tried going through the desk and using one of the speaker outputs to the analog XLR on the decklink, that's when I get the low audio.

your help would be greatly appreciated?

thanks,
derrick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: please help with correct setup (cause I'm getting low audio levels)
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:08:45 pm

I want to record from an analog video camera. I get picture, and very low audio (like in quite a bit less than -12db) at the moment,

SO should I go from the analog mono RCA from the camera to the Decklink Analog XLR (left), or how do I get a loud enough audio signal?

REPLY -
buy a cheap analog audio mixer from Behringer (under $100). This will allow you to AMPLIFY your -10 dBu signal from your analog camera RCA output into the Decklink Analog XLR input (which is a +4dBu level input). The difference between -10 and +4 is 14dB, so your audio levels are 14 dB too low. Is there a way to do this without a mixer or an analog level matching amplifier - NO.
Every system from every manufacturer works this way.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:35:46 pm

Hi there,

thanks, I actually thought of trying that in the morning. I've also got a Alesis Multimix 16 that can operate as a standard mixing desk.

THANKS for the tip Bob I appreciate it. I'll add it to the chain tomorrow, and give some feedback.

So just to check, I'm gonna use channel 1 and 2 on the mixer for the analog input, and use the speaker out (main mix out) jacks to go to the Blackmagic XLR's?

thanks again,
Derrick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 31, 2009 at 11:39:19 pm

well, that is not the way I would wire it. I would bring the Blackmagic outputs into the Mixer. I would bring the camera outputs to the mixer (you have lots of input faders !). Bring up the camera faders, and let the main output of the mixer feed the analog input of the Decklink card. The mixer should have CR MON OUT (control room monitor outputs). You can send these to your speakers, and control the volume to the speakers independently from what is going to the Blackmagic card.

When you are done, you raise the blackmagic faders, and listen to your Blackmagic card output thru your mixer (and control the volume of the speakers with your CR Mon out from your mixer).

EASY - right ?

I am now looking at the Alesis Multimix 16 website. Send your Camera into the 1/4" TRS inputs (you will need RCA to 1/4" TRS cables) - not the XLR inputs. Same with the Blackmagic. XLR out of the Blackmagic into the 1/4" TRS line inputs of the mixer. The Multimix has 1/4" TRS outputs, so you will need 1/4" to XLR cables to go back to the Blackmagic inputs as well. Owning cables is part of being in the video business. Heck - owning cables is part of being in the computer business.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:25:44 am

thanks for all the effort to help me with this Bob, I appreciate it,

I've got XLR cables and what not, so I will pick up some converters for 1/4" tp XLR, and RCA to 1/4".

And wire this up some time today,

So I'm gonna do the following:

1. Take RCA from camera into 1/4" input 1 and 2 of ALESIS MultiMix.

2. Take the BlackMagic XLR Left/Right OUT into the XLR 4 and 5 of the ALESIS Multimix (it's got 8 XLR inputs).

3. Take the 1/4" Speaker outputs of the ALESIS MULTIMIX into the Blackmagic XLR inputs (left/rigt).

4. Take the 1/4" Control room monitor OUT (left/right) into the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O (which is my MAIN audio interface (ASIO device) for my computer, and goes to my monitors) 1/4" into say channel 7/8 so that I can hear what's going on.

I'll give this a bash.

again, thanks for all the help!

- Derrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]