FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity or Decklink Studio for monitoring

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonah Kaplan
Intensity or Decklink Studio for monitoring
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:27:03 pm

Hi

I've read through a ton of posts and product descriptions etc on the BM site, but i guess I'm just looking for some straight forward answers.

I'm upgrading my G5 (running Final Cut Pro) to a macpro next week, so my decklink SP is history.

Here's the thing, I basically never capture. I have a DSR11 and that's it. My clients (production houses) do the capturing for the most part. I cut a ton of DV/SD (all flavors) and now some HD. Prores would be the media I would get for the most part on the HD front.

The other hitch is that I have a tube sony PVM style client monitor that I plan to keep around for monitoring.

From what I gather, the Intensity is limited to specific codecs that it can output/monitor. So if I had, say, 24p footage I could not monitor. This would include any HD footage that wasn't in 60fps format and only prores hq.

Question 1:

In order to monitor anything outside the supported formats, I would have to drop it on a supported codec timeline for monitoring. Correct?

Question 2:

Does the media need to be captured using Intensity codec no matter what to get output to a monitor? I tend to get the standard apple codecs for editing.

Question 3:

Also, and lastly, does "down converting" mean what I think it means? Can I play HD out to an SD monitor for monitoring purposes only?

I figure the Decklink Studio can output just about codec whatsoever. My only question about the Studio is the same "down converting" feature for monitoring HD on an SD monitor as per above.

Thanks for your time and help!
jk

Return to posts index

Matt Schulze
Re: Intensity or Decklink Studio for monitoring
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:33:09 pm

Hi,
I don't know anything about Decklink cards but if you want a little insight into Intensity, check out my thread from March 21 2009.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/870587

Return to posts index

Pablo Hill
on Mar 26, 2009 at 4:04:20 pm

I use intensity and it works awesome with Final Cut, plus my deck has HDMI output so I capture my video using blackmagic's motion jpeg at 4:2:2 at full 1920x1080 skipping HDV video codec for 300 bucks. My only problem is that I've been trying to switch from Final Cut to Adobe Premiere, and I cant due to the fact that there are no drivers for CS4 on Mac. I'm sure this wont be an issue in a few months.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Mar 26, 2009 at 5:19:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Let me see if I can answer some of those questions for you.

1> Generally this is the case, though there are some specific exceptions. One of those is the issue of 24p. While our boards will not yet natively capture this format, they can play it back. The playback of this will be over 59.95i, so our driver will add the 3:2 pull down on output. This allows you to edit in the native format while still being able to monitor in one of our supported formats. We of course would like to add other formats as time permits us.

2> Well, in fact for uncompressed we use the Apple codec. So if you select our Intensity HDTV 1080i 59.94 preset you will be using the apple uncompressed codec. You can also choose the ProRes, DV, PhotoJPEG codecs as well. As for using other formats and getting output, generally it is actually possible. You simply need to put the codec in one of our preset timelines and FCP will generally decode this and send it to our card (though performance may be somewhat reduced). But it should work.

3> Down converting is a little bit different on those two boards. On the Intensity Series if you enable the down converter everything that comes out of the board will be down converted. So say from 1080i to 480i. On the Decklink Studio it works a bit different as it has a hardware downconverter. So there is actually a dedicated (always on) downconverted SDI port. Essentially if you were working with HD one SDI port would output HD and the other would be SD. So you get the best of both worlds in that case.

I hope that helps with some of those questions...please let me know if you have any more.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Jonah Kaplan
on Mar 26, 2009 at 6:39:50 pm

Thanks so much!! just a few more...

On the studio card, you said:

"working with HD one SDI port would output HD and the other would be SD"

Is that SDI only or does that work for the analog outs as well?

I'am also going to assume that the downconverting on the Studio is superior due to the hardware downconvert? What does the intensity do for downconvert if not hardware?

also:

"This allows you to edit in the native format" But you essentially need to render? Not for monitor, but for final product.

thanks again so much.

jk

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:39:43 am

Currently you cannot set the component analog to be down converted. But it is a feature that we hope to add via software update.

Superior? Okay..how to answer this one cleanly. Personally I feel the hardware down conversion on this board is better than the software. But hardware isn't inherently better. It does reduce the CPU overhead. But suffice to say, the hardware down converting on these board (and the HDExtreme 3) is phenominal.

The Intensity and our older Decklink boards feature a software down converter.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Jonah Kaplan
on Mar 30, 2009 at 7:36:01 pm

thanks again for your time and help

jk

Return to posts index