FORUMS: list search recent posts

blackmagic Intensive problems

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Schulze
blackmagic Intensive problems
on Mar 21, 2009 at 11:45:25 pm

I have problems getting a signal out of the Blackmagic HDMI card to my Sony HD production monitor w/ HDMI in. I'm using a 6 ft HDMI cable.
The card behaves really erratic. Sometimes it works other times all I can get is a still picture if I switch to 720p60 but nothing will display for 720p59.94. Some days it takes a really long time for the image to show up but other days it won't show up at all.
My settings in FCP view menu are: All frames, and under video output intensity HDTV 720p 59.94 since my footage is shot in 720p.
I look like I don't know what I'm doing fumbling around to get a picture on screen in front of clients. Maybe they're right.

Matt

Return to posts index

Tony Faulkner
Re: blackmagic Intensive problems
on Mar 24, 2009 at 1:22:38 pm

You are lucky. My Blackmagic card does not output HDMI from Adobe Premiere CS4 at all. It is useless. The Blackmagic upgrade for Premiere CS4 which was released early March 09 did not work properly on a Vista 64bit workstation and made the system crash during installation (first time it has ever crashed).

I suggest buying a card from an alternative manufacturer, Blackmagic seems to be going through problems ... shame.

Return to posts index

Matt Schulze
on Mar 24, 2009 at 9:22:57 pm

I was able to get it to work by going into my system preferences (Mac only) and toggle the "select output settings" on and off again.
Didn't make sense to me but then it worked.

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Schulze
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:24:42 pm

Had to restart computer because of some updates, after that again no picture on external monitor.
No amount of fiddling with the settings produced any results.
Turned off the computer in disgust, came back the next morning and everything worked fine.

Go figure! I find this product very unreliable.

Sent an email to blackmagic tech support but got no response.

Matt

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Mar 26, 2009 at 5:28:59 pm

Hey Guys,

First off, I'm sorry you've had hard time getting ahold of us. I checked our email box and I do see your email from Friday. We are a little backogged at the moment and it is actually one of the next to be answered.

But let me address this issue here for you instead.

In your email you said you are having inconsistant sucess with using 720p30 out from our Intensity. Normally my first course of action is to ask if you are using one of our preformated easy setups. But since you are using 720p30 (a format we do not support) I am assuming you are setting up a basic preset then changing the output to be 720p59.94.

Unfortunately that is not likely to work well at all. My suggestion would be to use the native Intensity Easy Setup and drop your 720p30 footage in that timeline. That will allow FCP to do the conversion and send a 720p59.94 (and supported) to our board. That should work out much better for you.

Again, I do apologize for the delay in response. We also offer phone support, so if you are in a hurry you can give us a ring (we don't charge) and generally the wait time is less than 5 minutes (though sometimes it can be more). So if you need help or suggestions in a hurry then give us a call. We also have offices in Europe, Singapore and Japan that can take calls as well.

I hope this helps clear that up a bit.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Matt Schulze
on Mar 26, 2009 at 10:00:33 pm

Joshua,
thanks for your reply.
I will try that out as soon as I'm back in the edit bay.

Matt

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:40:27 am

Excellent!

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>