FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink Studio Genlock in Analog System

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Monson
Decklink Studio Genlock in Analog System
on Mar 13, 2009 at 5:50:50 pm

Hey I am having a problem locking my Decklink Studio,
I have 2 Blackmagic Decklink Studio cards that i am trying to get installed in my analog control room. I cant seem to get the cards to lock to save my life, i have contacted Blackmagic a few times now and they all reply the same "yes it can be done and its one of the tests we run on the cards" Here is my setup, Both cards are in a Win XP computer 3.0ghz P4, 4 gigs of ram. House sync is a Tektronix color black sync generator works perfect on all the other equipment (also tried on a new Everts Sync Gen in my other facility) when i plug sync in it says it has sync in the decklink control panel and i can get the horizontal close with the timing slider, but the phase sits there and rotates, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly back and forth.
I have tried it with outputting SDI in my newer facility and it works fine but as soon as you output composite video (using the same sync and everything) the Jitter/phase rotation comes back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Decklink Studio Genlock in Analog System
on Mar 14, 2009 at 10:27:47 pm

You have not described your "analog" facility. If a genlocked device is too far out of H timing, it will never lock up. If you are making a dub, this is no big deal. But if you are trying to time a Blackmagic analog output (or any product output) to an analog switcher, and you dont' have a waveform monitor, locked to external reference, so you can observe the H timing, you will NEVER get this working.

Perhaps I am wrong - perhaps you are trying to dub into a Beta VTR with composite video. But until you describe exactly what you are trying to do, with what equipment, I cannot help you. If you had an old analog camera, you would have the SAME problem unless you h time the camera into the switcher (I am making assumptions, becuase you have given no details).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andras Godor
on May 6, 2009 at 7:13:51 pm

Hi!

We have the exact same problem in our PAL studio. We use a JVC KM2000 mixer. The Blackmagic card is connected to one of the mixer inputs, and receives the mixer's blackburst as external reference. No matter how hard we tried, we couldn't get the phase jittering to stop on the mixer output. We can easily sync up any other equipment with the mixer(cameras, DV players, etc), but the Blackmagic card gave us quite a challenge.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jordan Monson
on May 6, 2009 at 10:07:12 pm

Black Magic finally got back to me and told me that you can not genlock the composite out of the cards. I really wish they would tell you that somewhere on the specs for it or in the documentation since they are kind of lying saying it is genlockable until you purchase it and spend 20+ hours trying to get it to lock and emailing them 5 times before finally someone at Black Magic actually tells you no you wasted your money it doesn’t do what we say it does. If someone from Black Magic reads this please add a note in the manual or something.

Return to posts index

Andras Godor
on May 6, 2009 at 11:00:49 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess we have no choice, we will have to run it through a 20+ years old TBC :)

Return to posts index

Jordan Monson
on May 6, 2009 at 11:24:35 pm

Thats what we ended up doing here. They did say that you can Genlock the RGB/component outputs so if you have an rgb/component input on your Mixer that might be an option as well

Return to posts index

Andras Godor
on Apr 5, 2010 at 2:57:07 pm

Unfortunately we don't have component inputs on our mixer, but we do have another fully component mixer, i will try to make it work, it's worth a shot. Thanks

Return to posts index

Andrew Henderson
on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:24:59 am

Hello. I am looking at purchasing a JVC KM-2000U on ebay, and I would like to run my Panasonic MS5 cameras through it. They don't have Genlock inputs, what is the easiest way to sync the video to the JVC?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Andras Godor
on May 6, 2009 at 7:16:46 pm

Hi!

We have the exact same problem in our PAL studio. We use a JVC KM2000 mixer. The Blackmagic card is connected to one of the mixer inputs, and receives the mixer's blackburst as external reference. No matter how hard we tried, we couldn't get the phase jittering to stop on the mixer output. We can easily sync up any other equipment with the mixer(cameras, DV players, etc), but the Blackmagic card gave us quite a challenge. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]